1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota Quality

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by LS TOY, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Oct 4, 2010 at 1:01 PM
    rockbug63

rockbug63 Active Member

Member:
    central coast CA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Dbl cab 4x4 SR5 tow pkg.
    Rear leaf and steering column chatter tsb blower mtr replaced(waste of time) 2nd blw. mtr.; new headlights from DRL melt issue new water pump9 leaking0around block) pwr steering rack leaks, right frt. wheel bearing bad.
    '09 Dbl cab L-bed 4x4 w/ leaf spring tsb and sheep skins!~ 29k and just perfect except that crazy initial radio issue

2. Oct 4, 2010 at 4:17 PM
    pmo

pmo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4x4, DC, 6 Speed Manual.
    Toyota quality is number1....only the N.A. automakers bad mouth Toyota....if they had the quality..then they wouldn't be in the mess they;re in

3. Oct 4, 2010 at 4:21 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    7500 on the Taco and 173k on the Matrix...and ditto.

4. Oct 4, 2010 at 4:23 PM
    scullcrusher

scullcrusher scullcrusher

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    michigan
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma sr5
    3inch lift
    water pump leaking,just made warrenty by 20 days!
    dealer ordered it,but they sounded like they didnt
    want to do it? i have 32k

5. Oct 4, 2010 at 4:23 PM
    2gtacoma

2gtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    H-town
    Vehicle:
    05 -PreRunner sr5
    URD Maf Cal, Airaid intake, Gibson exhaust, Urd short shifter,Trd shift knob, 2.25 lift,Satoshi grill, Trex eyelids
    159K only quality issue was the arm support had to reinforce it with metal strapping and epoxy now its all good.

Mechanical: front timing cover leak at 120K fixed it my self.
    U-joint took a dump at 159k 2weeks ago I replaced all 3 to get it over with myself.

Overall id say damn good im not complaining.

6. Oct 4, 2010 at 6:22 PM
    goodtime

goodtime New Member

Member:
    nebraska
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    My air intake hose rattled right away so I had the tsb done and although it still rattles a little, it's lots better. The brakes squealed when I backed it out of the garage in the morning so I had the tsb done. They did a good job of fixing that. The clock spring broke about two months after the warranty ran out. When they told me I would have to pay for that I got a little testy and explained to them that I only had 31,000 miles on the truck. They went ahead and fixed it and I wasn't charged.
    My 07 Tacoma is a great little truck and I wouldn't trade it for anything. It's the first new truck I've ever owned and I'm 63 years old. At times I think that I'm just a little snake bit.....not bad snake bit, just a little snake bit.:D

7. Oct 4, 2010 at 6:35 PM
    toyotatacomaTRD

toyotatacomaTRD Senior Member

Member:
    I had 96k on my 98.. No problems whatsoever.

I have 50k on my 05, no issues to speak of.

OP, I think many issues on this site are a direct result of modding.. anytime you change something that engineers spent thousands of hours and millions of dollars designing, you run the risk of decreased reliability..

If you want to hear horror stories, spend a little time on a German Car enthusiast site. They are ridiculously expensive to repair (the main reason we sold my wife's Audi).

8. Oct 4, 2010 at 6:37 PM
    NelsonTacoma

NelsonTacoma This is my derpawayinator!!!!!

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport 03 4Runner Limited 4wd
    Bilstein 5100's , 6000k HID Hi/Low Kit, Magnaflow Muffler, 1.5 inch AP Wheel Spacers, Mudflap Delete
    I have an 06 with 92k on it, but I've only had it for 8k of that. I've only had to repair the door panel armrests. And all the regular maintenance stuff, like a battery, brakes, tune-up etc. You can't expect to never have to put more money into a vehicle. I don't know of many GM, Ford, or Dodge products that have a potential to last up to 300k. I had a 89 4Runner before this and it had 316k on it when I sold it. I mean, it had its problems too, timing chain, valve cover, oil pan, clutches, but I never had to replace anyting that cost more than my 4Runner was worth.

I don't see Toyota quality going down, I see the amount of vehicles sold going up therefore more vehicles to have problems.

I work at a dealership in the Used Car department, and everytime I get a Toyota, Honda, or Nissan (japanese products) I know that it's not gonna need much work to get it ready for sale, regardless of miles. GM, Ford, & Dodge....well if it's over 60k watch out!!!!

9. Oct 4, 2010 at 6:42 PM
    Taco505

Taco505 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2011 4cyl 4x4 5 speed
    OME 884's/90021, MD Dakar/Nitrocharger.
    well i have had my 08 taco for a while now obviously. I got it with 5 miles on it and by the time it was home there was 15 miles on it. I just rolled 67,000 today and there is absolutely nothing wrong with this truck besides what i have done my self and i dont blame the truck or toyota for what i have accidentally done haha.

also the TBS thing? does that count for the base model 2wd tacos? cuz i have had a TON of damp crusher fine in my bed and drove quite a ways with it and ever bottomed out once and i have done that at least 10 times. just wondering why i never had a problem but other guys with the 4x4 trucks have with small loads haha

my parents have an 09 camry with like 25k on it they bought brand new its doing amazing nothing wrong with it either.

also my 89 runner is a freakin beast not much wrong with it besides 21 years of wear and tear.

i really dont think toyota has cut back on their quality what so ever.

I think the OP maybe read this thread ------> http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/116609-2010-drivers-seat-issue.html and jumped on the bandwagon

10. Oct 4, 2010 at 6:53 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    This is an under appreciated answer, and very true. All parts of a vehicle are precisely engineered to work well together from the engineering group at the manufacturer.

Unfortunately, they do shit like making the wheelbase longer without adding ground clearance, chrome grille surrounds, and 30" stock tires, forcing us to take matters into our own hands.

Toyota's designs and quality are sound as ever. Unfortunately, they are rarely right from factory.

11. Oct 4, 2010 at 7:14 PM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    I've had my truck coming up on 4 years. The only issue I've had is the HVAC blower motor went bad as well as the resistor. A little disappointing. the pain on my truck is pretty weak. The front end looks like somebody blasted it with rock salt. I still like my truck.

12. Oct 4, 2010 at 7:51 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    Clearly any company that recalls 9000000+ vehicles inside of 12 months is slipping. That being said, my 2010 is a piece of junk, fragile, lots of interior rattles, parts failing; no good at all.
    On the other hand, my 2009 Tacoma 4 cyl was my all time favorite truck. I post good or bad, I posted a lot of good reports about my 09, it is just a fact that Toyota does produce some junk. I also do not buy into the idea that Toyota's are superior to other brands in general.
    Be realistic, how many people would have bought a Taco if the resale value was poor? The frame issue is not going away any time soon, and for those of us who push our vehicles, the wimpy diff on the O.R. has let us down. If you like your truck, who cares what others think? Quite simply, I will buy do more research next time, and buy based on specifications, not on brand name. (The Frontier specs out a lot stronger).

13. Oct 4, 2010 at 8:19 PM
    adamstoy

adamstoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    adam
    Manchester NH
    Vehicle:
    09 DBL CAP PRERUNNER
    2.5 inch spacer, black headlight mod, tonnou cover,chrome bull bar and step bars motometal 958 chrome w/ cooper zeon ltz 285/60R18 TRD OR suspension angle eye projectors with hid 6k's
    MY 09 SR5'S MASTER BRAKE CYLINDER FAILED AT 10xxx MILES DEALERSHIP REPLACED FOR FREE BUT GAVE ME THE WRONG BRAKE FLUID RESERVOIR LUCKILY ITS BEEN FIXED UNDER WARRENTY

14. Oct 4, 2010 at 8:48 PM
    JasonJump

JasonJump Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Yukon Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    '05 Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4 D Cab Debadged
    Billy 5100's set at 2.5, iPhone innerface, TRD Sport wheels powdercoated Anthracite grey wrapped in 265/70/17 Duratracs, Custom Sliders
    '05 Tacoma 4x4 trd 120k!! Runs great, I keep up on preventative maintnance, and she keeps on truckin, and I have done a few mods and still good to go. I have had GM's fords, american cars in the past, and seriously after 50-60k they are pretty much shot, and their Value hits the shitter when you pull it off the lot. You read on here all the time guys buying brand new and their damn truck is almost worth more when its pulled off the lot! jk but their value holds strong way over american cars for a reason..... PROVEN QUALITY over Generations of vehicles. Ford and all of them claim in all of their commericials "as reliable as the camry, accord blah blah" its almost amusing how much they compare their cars to Toyota and Honda. They can't even say "its reliable as ford...our own company" cause they shit breaks yo! :eek:

15. Oct 5, 2010 at 3:01 AM
    Raylo

Raylo Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra SR5 OffRoad; (2009 Tacoma - sold)
    All stock, except for audio and convenience add-ons
    There are certainly things that are substandard (paint, radio, built in TSBs, etc.) but my '09 is darned reliable at 16.5 k miles. Other than installing an aftermarket stereo/gps, alarm/rs system, and a couple of minor mods alls I need to do are oil changes. Only downside is I am going to lose my mechanic skills.

16. Oct 5, 2010 at 3:11 AM
    financial83

financial83 Mr. S

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    Tint Windows, Pioneer Supertunner III
    88k on my 06 Taco V6 - runs smooth and getting 21mpg.

17. Oct 5, 2010 at 5:45 AM
    LS TOY

LS TOY [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Landon
    Athens, Ga.
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 4x4 TRD Sport
    I owned an 86 Toyota 4x4 previously in my younger days. That damn truck was bulletproof! I wheeled it in every condition known to man and it always amazed at how well it performed. I sold it with 186k and the only thing I ever had to do was replace the radiator. I love my 2010, I guess I'm am just a bit over cautious after dropping $31,000 cash on the truck. I have noticed the paint is a little weak, but overall, I'm very happy with the truck. I am a little old school and wish I still had to get out and lock the hubs, but the limited times I,ve been on some rough and steep terrain, the Sport has felt good and seems quite capable. I sincerely hope this truck lasts and performs like the 86'. I had a lot of trucks to choose from, and I chose to buy Toyota. I hope it was the right decision. :D

18. Oct 5, 2010 at 12:38 PM
    allents6

allents6 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TAllen
    Sweet Home Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma Double Cab SRS TRD 4x4
    K&N FIlter
    Electronics have been problem for me. Rear window motor and swithc went out, compass/temp gauge went out (but repaired w/ help form TW forum post), 4x4 computer had to be replaced, rear differential lock has never, ever worked correctly, I took it to dealership 4-5 times just for that reason, they basically said they didn't know why it will not engage. My dad always said Dodge/Chrysler had the worst electronics.......he has changed his mind.:)

19. Oct 5, 2010 at 2:50 PM
    supataco

supataco Shaq-enzy Falls

Member:
    First Name:
    Ichiro
    Oahu - Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2010-SSM-AC-TRDSport-PreRunner
    -17" 4Runner Trail Wheels (265/70/17) -OEM Tube Steps -Tailgate Security Clamps -Trimmed Mudflaps -Bed Bar -Kobalt Box -Bed Mat -Toyota Mats
    You should take a look at a couple of other forums. Some of the problems and recalls people are reporting are way worse. Less than a year into owning my Mazdaspeed 3 there was a recall on the motor mounts. People were snapping bolts n engines were falling out lol. Then there were reports of blown engines even. Toyota still seems on top to me.

20. Oct 5, 2010 at 2:53 PM
    005Tacoma

005Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Thomasville, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma
    112k miles and no problems. Just put new brake pads on yesterday. The pads that came on the truck lasted for 5 years and 112k miles.

Products Discussed in

To Top