1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota Service Department Advise on Warranties

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 00Jimmy00, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Jun 30, 2011 at 7:45 AM
    00Jimmy00

00Jimmy00 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    08 SupWht OR
    Hey guys,
    I am new here and I am in need of some advise about Toyota Dealer Service Department. I recently bought a Certified Preowned 08 Offroad from a dealer in NJ. I live in NY.
    The 100k mi Powertrain warranty goes to 2015 and they extended a comprehensive warranty (3yr 36,000 mi) to 12 Month 12,000mi. Is the Comprehensive the Bumper to bumper? And of course the 160pt Preowned certification. I have 35,335mi

I soon found that I have a lot of the issues discussed in the forums.
    1. 20-25mph High Frequency Vibration. TSB tranny mount ok
    2. 62mph vibration No TSB:mad:
    3. Thump at stop and irradic downshift TSB reflash ok
    4. Windshield noise TSB/quick fix ok
    5. Bottom out rear suspension TSB new leaf springs ok

I went to the closest dealer and they said that the vibration at 62 is not covered under my warrenties and i would have to take it back to the dealer I bought it from! he said he could take care of the tsb's. He explained that he would have to charge me for diagnosis of the problem,ie. rotate tire balance and aligment ets etc. I know the problem has nothing to do with tires. I have had the same vibrations with previus trucks and it wasnt tires!

So my question is, why should I be charged for diagnostics that have nothing to do with the issue? Isn't my truck warrantied for this issue?

thanks on advance

2. Jun 30, 2011 at 8:15 AM
    Fightnfire

Fightnfire Recklessly tired

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 (Prev 09 Access Cab V6 4X4)
    Starting over with a new GMC AT4 Satin Steel Metallic Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings.
    Someone can advise you, or you can ask for advice. Meh, on to your questions.. :boink:

I've never had a dealer do work on my truck without diagnosing the problem themselves first. Typically tho, if the problem turns out to be warrantied the diagnosis is covered. I would be sure to ask him that. As far as vibrations, well those are really tough to diagnose. It could be any number of things, including wheel/tire balance. You can always expect anyone to look at the easiest/cheapest things first because that just makes good business sense.

Think of your home internet connection. If you have a problem with it regardless of what you have tried when you call tech support they will have you power cycle the modem. Why? Because that fixes the problem 50% of the time and it's free to both parties. It's annoying but I would think it would always be better to catch a tire out of balance than tear a tranny apart only then realize the tire was out of balance.

3. Jun 30, 2011 at 9:04 AM
    00Jimmy00

00Jimmy00 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    08 SupWht OR
    Nice to meet you and thanks for the reply FightnFire, My apologies to the spelling buffs out here.:)

Is the 3,000 mi grace period/certification gaurantee just for the dealer I bought it from or does it extend to any dealership I choose? What is the additional 12,000 mi 12 month comprehensive for? (this was added on to the 3 year 36,000 warranty) Is this considered the bumper to bumper?

I thought that if I had a problem, I could bring it to a dealership anywhere and have it fixed under my current warrenties. This dealer made it sound like the dealer I bought it from responsible. I sort of feel the same way but I cannot drive to NJ at this point. Toyota is Toyota as far as I am concerened and I should be able to fix it anywhere?

4. Jun 30, 2011 at 9:43 AM
    Fightnfire

Fightnfire Recklessly tired

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 (Prev 09 Access Cab V6 4X4)
    Starting over with a new GMC AT4 Satin Steel Metallic Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings.
    I just bought my certified truck a few weeks ago and I was under the impression that the 3yr 36,000 goes away. In it's place you get a 100,000 mile power train warranty and a 1yr 12,000 mile bumper to bumper. Very possible I just misunderstood the guy .. maybe it's one or the other, whichever is greater when you purchase. That's probably it.

However, the dealership that did my TSB did tell me it was covered under the 3yr 36,000 ... I didn't argue.

And yes, Toyota warranties are covered by any Toyota dealership.

5. Jun 30, 2011 at 4:41 PM
    rbishopp

rbishopp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Webster, NY
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD Reg cab Taco. Keepin it simple.
    So far I've added an Advance folding bed cover and since removed it. Gave it to my son in Maine, he has an 05 2wd. GT perfect fit seat covers. Weathertech floor mats and window vent visors. Waag center brush/grill guard. Hose clamp tailgate mod. Turned off the seat belt chime. Added Ultra-Gauge. Trailer hitch. Softopper. Replaced sun visors with slide out style. Toyota bed extender. Had Firestone Destinations and now Michelin LTX AT2 in stock size. More mods to come; Fog lights, locking storage in bed, intermittent wipers. Now looking for Radio/HU upgrade. and maybe a lift way down the road.
    Bought my 2009 Tacoma brand new and was told the Toyota Warranty was good at any Toyota dealer but I'd have to pay a deductible or something. If I take it back to the dealer I bought it at I won't have to. The dealer I purchased from has they're own warranty program over and above Toyota so I go beck there for everything. As far as coverage I think engine/drive train are covered but not much else.
    Good luck.

Products Discussed in

To Top