1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota tech said my tran fluid is fine at 102,000 miles

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Tacoma909, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Jan 16, 2012 at 3:22 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    I am sure glad my dealer believes in following the Toyota schedule... even likes that I have the oil changed well BEFORE 5,000 miles. The 100,000 mile tranny flush on second gen tacos is a must! That is far too important to just grin it off... and I would report that service manager to corporate.

2. Jan 17, 2012 at 4:16 AM
    bechap

bechap New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ED
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma basic 4 cyl X2rz N84
    As far as the 2001 tranny goes, There are 3 of them used that year so it's VIN specific. 2 of them use the WS synthetic and one, like mine use the Dextron III/Mercon. Best find our from the dealer what tranny you have before doing anything. the wrong fluid can really mess you up.:cool:

3. Oct 22, 2014 at 8:00 PM
    mpmitch1

mpmitch1 New Member

Member:
    I have 290,000 and have never changed nor flushed my tranny fluid.

trktwo likes this.
  4. Oct 22, 2014 at 8:08 PM
    Bishop2Queens6

Bishop2Queens6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 700# springs Front Shocks JBA UCA's Wheeler's Offroad Superbump Front Bump Stops Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 4"+ Rear Shocks AllPro Expo Rear Leaf Pack Timbren Rear Bump Stops ARB Front Bumper @Shmellmopwho Rock Sliders w/ Kickout RCI Aluminum Front Skid Plate Prinsu Roof Rack Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover CBI Ditch Light Brackets Cali-Raised LED Ditch Lights Cali-Raised Amber Fogs Cali-Raised Flush Mount LED Pods
    Recommended service interval is 55K miles IIRC. When I was at 100K miles, (10K before next service interval for the tranny), it was slipping pretty bad on uphill accelerations. Got a flush ($140), slipping went away, and gained 1-2 mpg's as well.

5. Oct 23, 2014 at 5:27 AM
    jethro

jethro Master Baiter

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    2020 Ford F-150 Lariat 5.0L V8
    I had 230k on my gen 1 tacoma and towed thousands of miles a year and it shifted fine when I sold it. Original transmission fluid. It was a 2.7L too and I towed a heavy, 2 place enclosed snowmobile trailer through the mountains all winter long. And a boat in the summer.

6. Oct 23, 2014 at 6:03 AM
    TacomaRobert

TacomaRobert Well-Known Member

Member:
    So true about instincts. I don't know what it is but where I grew up when people didn't know something they said, "I don't know". They didn't lie. Where I'm at now people iterally just make stuff up if they don't know. They don't care about being called a liar. Oh, wait a minute, then don't like being called a liar, they just don't mind being known as a liar.

I've been screwed both ways. By believing someone who doesn't know. And by not believing someone who does.

If the subject matter is too complex or you don't have time to figure it out, then I guess you go in to it with prior knowledge of the *person* you are talking to. If you know them and they are honest and have a good reputation for being excellent at what they do, then go with their advice. If you don't know them then go with your instincts. If it's important that you know them, like a doctor, then do some research on them before talking to them or before seeing them in the first place.

Don't beat yourself up. It happens to me and I'm a genius. :rolleyes:

jaydeebee likes this.
  7. Oct 23, 2014 at 6:26 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    There are some members at TW who cook their fluid before the recommended service interval and there are others who baby their trucks . This is an owner operator decision based on how you treat your truck.
    For you guys that dont know how your truck was treated before you bought the truck, ,i suggest changing the fluid.

fla_sun and Clearwater Bill like this.
  8. Oct 23, 2014 at 6:57 AM
    Ninj

Ninj Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ninja
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2011 Super White TRD Off-road SR5 6 Speed
    URD True Cold Air Intake URD MAF PnP Version (Very easy to install) Full Custom Exhaust 2.5" Stainless Steel Pipe, Doug Thorley Long Tube Ceramic Coated Headers, 2 stock catalytic converters (2 cat deletes), X Pipe, Dual Flowmaster Super 44s, 2 Jones 18 inch stainless steel tips, Full exhaust exits before rear passenger wheel like the SVT Lightning (I have Krisxone’s 09+ ECU adapter so I can go URD Boosted, Tested and working) 3 Inch Ultimate Toyotech lift (Silver Painted Coilovers) with Old Man Emu Leafs (No add-a-leaf here)
    No Way, I flush my tranny and diffs at every 30k

9. Oct 23, 2014 at 7:04 AM
    Lester Lugnut

Lester Lugnut Well-Known Member

Member:
    N of Mex-S of Canada-E of LA-W of NC
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma PreRunner V6 SR5 Auto
    I thoroughly agree with SOSHeloPilot.

Servicing these no-dipstick transmissions requires more skill and the people dealers have doing this kind of work are not always the sharpest knives in the drawer.

They figure the avg. Joe will trade in his car every 100k, maybe a little sooner; maybe a little later. If you are one of those, you can forget about ever doing a transmission fluid change.

In my opinion this 100K tranny/coolant thing is nothing more than a marketing ploy on the part of mfgs. to make the total cost of ownership more attractive. People hate maintaining their cars and the vast majority are in a newer one at the mileage mentioned in the previous paragraph.

If you are a guy who puts 300K/400K(me) on a vehicle, I'd ignore Toyota's maint plan and change ALL fluids well before the intervals provided in the owners manual.

My 2 cents.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    mightym and fla_sun like this.
  10. Oct 26, 2014 at 4:48 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Change fluids or change parts is what I was taught. Seems to ring true so far, I've seen it/done it both ways.

11. Oct 26, 2014 at 5:22 PM
    TnShooter

TnShooter The TacomaWorld Stray

Member:
    First Name:
    Deogee
    Vehicle:
    07' TRD Off-Road, Auto
    STOCK
    The dealer either doesn't know how to change it.
    Or they don't want to take the time to do it RIGHT.

You need to have the fluid up to a certain temperature to do it RIGHT.
    You don't just pour a certain amount in and call it good.
    These transmissions don't tolerate too full or too low very well.
    You will get get problems if it's not in the specific range.
    And I'm betting the dealer knows this and has had more than a few brought back with this complaint after doing drain and fills. So they just don't do it id they don't have to.

You have to do it right.

12. Oct 26, 2014 at 5:34 PM
    dafloydboy

dafloydboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    M.L. Evans
    lancaster s.c.
    Vehicle:
    15' base access cab
    Are camper shell
    Fluid is cheaper than metal

Lester Lugnut likes this.
  13. Oct 27, 2014 at 3:12 PM
    pavemobile

pavemobile Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport SR5 PreRunner
    K&N Intake
    If you are not comfortable doing the cooler line exchange following the process here in a DIY, park your truck on a level surface, drain from the drain plug, reservice with the same amount drained + about 1/4 to 1/3 qt. Run your truck and shift through the gears until your trans temp approaches 115 deg. F using an OBD2 analyzer (mine shows trans fluid temp) and remove the fluid level plug and let it drain until a small stream is dribbling out. Install the plug, torque everything up and test drive. I did the cooler line exchange by myself, took a little while to pump fluid in 3 times but got as close to 100% clean as I could. My trans fluid was about 3/4 qt low from the factory...or it sheared and evaporated away. Mine works like a champ! When I do it again, I have 12 qts. of Amsoil Signature Series ATL ready to go...I'm out of warranty now so no worries, I will put the rest of my leftover Toyota WS fluid in my sisters Rav4, she'll like that.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  14. Oct 27, 2014 at 3:17 PM
    TashcomerTexas

TashcomerTexas My truck is a whiner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD DC King Ranch Edition
    You have some balls my friend

15. Dec 23, 2016 at 10:42 AM
    amworks

amworks Well-Known Member

Member:
    Murrieta - Socal
    Vehicle:
    T100 - Tundra
    I bought my 2wd prerunner with 70k it. I don't know if was ever done. Now I'm at 120k and there is some hesitation in 2nd and 3rd at 1800 Rpms. Thinking of doing a full flush. Think that would be ok, or should I just do a drain and fill?

16. Dec 23, 2016 at 11:28 AM
    Marshall R

Marshall R Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marshall
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD double cab
    none
    The owners manual on my 2007 says never change it. I'm at 175,000 and it has never been changed. Last spring before I went on a 4700 mile road trip I took mine in to a trusted independent mechanic and told him to do anything needed. He says my AT fluid is fine and not to touch it. My dad worked in sales. He drove cars well over 200,000 miles in just a few years. He never changed AT fluid in a single car he ever owned and never had an issue.

Lots of guys with 200,000-300,000 miles on factory fluid in all manner of vehicles. Unless you tow a lot in hot weather and/or in mountains I've come to the conclusion that changing the fluid isn't economically justifiable. If you change every 30,000 miles you'll spend well over $1000 in AT services to get to 300,000. At best you'll get an extra 50,000 miles out of the transmission vs never changing the fluid. Either way you'll need a new transmission at about the same time.

The exception is if you let the fluid get hot. As long as the fluid stays at or near 200* the rest of the truck will probably fall apart before the AT fluid wears out. The more time you spend above 200*, especially if you start getting above 230*, the more often you need to change the fluid. That will only happen if you are towing heavy loads in mountains.

17. Dec 23, 2016 at 11:50 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Don't know what manual says not to change it??? My 2005 and 2010 are 100,000 mile atf change with flush. My 2010 was pump drained fully and changed at 88,000 and shifted much smoother after.

18. Dec 23, 2016 at 1:34 PM
    jbrnigan

jbrnigan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport, 4X4, 4.0L, Auto - Access Cab
    Over a million Tacoma's on the road here in the U.S. Only a small % of those owners read the shit here on TW. Tacoma owners, that don't have a clue about TW (should I or shouldn't I service my transmission) just drive them. I'll bet, even fewer actually follow the mfr's recommended service intervals. They just get "driven", then they get wrecked, sold or traded. So, change the fluid or not........... flip a coin, seek spiritual advice, or read your owners manual, then be assured that your Tacoma will probably run longer than you want to own it, by just following the the basic PM regimen as listed in the owners manual. Or, you can keep throwing your benjamins at "preventive" preventative maintenance, resting comfortably, knowing that you prevented a problem that might never have been a problem anyway.

Doc1303 and Mush Mouse like this.
  19. Dec 23, 2016 at 1:38 PM
    MadRiverTaco

MadRiverTaco Join TW, they said. It's free, they said.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brenden
    Waterbury, VT
    Vehicle:
    2012 Black DCSB TRD OR "Caroline"
    King 2.5 Ext. w/ Compression Adjusters (Front & Rear), Dakars w/ D29XL, TC UCA's & LCA's, ARE CX, 17" SEMA Pro's, 265/70/17 Falken Wildpeaks, BORA spacers, Rigid Side shooter ditch lights, ATHF bedside reinforcements, OME carrier bearing drop bracket, extended rear brake lines, Northstar 27F battery, Yakima Jetsream crossbars, OEM roof rack, OEM skid plate, TRD Pro grill, URD TCAI, 5.7L Throttle Body, BensonX bedside tool mounts, fire extinguisher bedside mount, AMP research bed step, Redline Tuning hood struts, ECGS needle bearing mod, CV Boot slide mod, Differential breather mod, U-Bolt Flip Kit w/ Timbren Bumpstops, A-pillar RAM mount w/ cell phone holder, ProFX tow mirrors with turn signals and heat, "Raptor" lights, DEPO taillights, motorized Pop n' Lock
    I know this post is over 2 years old, but this is great. Aside from knowledge sharing, the beauty of TW is the differing of opinions on full display:rofl:

20. Dec 23, 2016 at 1:40 PM
    Mush Mouse

Mush Mouse Club Soda Not Seals

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    where ever you want me to be
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    its a Toyota truck and that's all the modifications needed
    dam!!

Doc1303 and David K like this.