1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota to recall 3.8million vehicles (Tacoma too)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Packman73, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Sep 29, 2009 at 2:40 PM
    ruler

ruler Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal - Los Angeles - SGV
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma, TRD Sport, DC 4x4
    Fox Extended Travel Coilovers 2.5 (front), Fox 2.0 shocks (rear),Total Chaos UCA's, AllPro Expedition leaf pack, AllPro front plate style bumper,BHLM, GrillCraft MX series Grill, ATX Thug 17inch rims, Toyo Open Country MT (295,70,17), TRD CAI,Rear smoked LED tail lights, slimcubby HID Head Lights (50w 1200k), ADVMonster 60 Series 3600 Lumen LED Off Road Lights , Pioneer Avic-F700bt (navigation,head unit)
    Just read this too, anyone know if this includes the all weather mats ? I dont understand how those people died if the accelerator got stuck they could have just shifted the car in to neutral and came to a safe stop. Either way this needs to be fixed, and I could use a new drivers side floor mat mines is pretty shot out.

Toyota says it will recall 3.8 million vehicles in the United States to address problems with a removable floor mat that could interfere with the vehicle's accelerator and cause a crash. The company says it will be the largest U.S. recall in its history. Owners could learn about the safety campaign as early as next week.

Toyota and the government warned owners of Toyota and Lexus vehicles about safety problems tied to the removable floor mats. They say the mats could interfere with the vehicle's accelerator and cause a crash.
    The recall will affect 2007-2010 model year Toyota Camry, 2005-2010 Toyota Avalon, 2004-2009 Toyota Prius, 2005-2010 Tacoma, 2007-2010 Toyota Tundra, 2007-2010 Lexus ES350 and 2006-2010 Lexus IS250 and IS350.

2. Sep 29, 2009 at 2:41 PM
    galpd320

galpd320 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Spring, TX
    Vehicle:
    '17 MGM TRD OR DCSB
    OVTune 17x8.5 Bronze Method 702's w/ 265/65/17 BFG KO2's
    Again... I hate to judge one's behavior in a situation I haven't experienced (and hopefully never do), but here I go again...
    I'm reading this guy was an off duty police officer?? These guys/gals are trained constantly to keep cool and think in high stress situations. Man, I just keep thinking theres more to it.

3. Sep 29, 2009 at 2:41 PM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    Beat me to it.

4. Sep 29, 2009 at 2:41 PM
    johnw

johnw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    orlando florida
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner v-6 4.0L 4 door
    well you asked for specs..... 06 trd sport speedway blue 5.3l v8 4.0 camburg lift spindles extended travel icons total chaos lowers allpro 4" leaf pack 17" xd hoss rims 37/12.5/17 mickey thompson baja atz Allpro hybrid bumper grill craft grill wicked flow muffler inside i have..... wet okole real tree camo seat cover blue oznium dome light stealth sub box with 2 10" kicker comp subs kicker 400 watt amp weathertech floor mats
    yes it does.

5. Sep 29, 2009 at 2:43 PM
    bigmooze

bigmooze Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Bilstein 5100's all round (0" up front with stock springs), 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kit, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Delta Champion Toolbox, fog lights, back-up lights, Sirius satellite radio with PA15-TOY, Midland 1001z CB radio with 2' Firestik II antenna, Weathertech floor mats, AVS sill protectors, Marathon SuperHides Seatcovers (Universal Digital Camo), trimmed front mud flaps, Viair 20005 OBA, Warn W650D driving lights and W650F fog lights on N-Fab light bar, Hi-Lift X-treme jack with off road accessories, TracRac "TracONE" system
  6. Sep 29, 2009 at 2:46 PM
    epa4wd

epa4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    Clazzio Seat Covers OR Wheels 40% tint Side Steps KC Fog Lights
    I agree something does not seem right I dont know...

RIP to the family :(

I had this happen with aftermarket floor mats on my previous truck, obviously I got scared as hell, took me a few seconds before reacting and putting it in neutral, then pulling the floor mat.

7. Sep 29, 2009 at 2:48 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    This could be part of the problem, if not THE problem. I talked about this on a thread that discussed the Weathertechs. Mine has hole worn in it as well and I patched it, at great difficulty (hard to glue rubber to rubber - I finally found that super glue does the best job). Modifications to the mat, if done poorly, can prevent proper heel - and - toe use of the accelerator and brake.

8. Sep 29, 2009 at 2:51 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Well what's diffrent is his family was involved... that alone probably set him into an extreme panic mode. It's very unfortunate, and it's easy enough to say "man I'd just kick it into neutral" ect.... none of us were there though. The accelerator getting stuck on an is350 is no joke, they're extremely quick beasts and you'd be focused more on the steering and avoiding objects than even having time to think about how to stop it. Sure, myself I'd pop it in neutral but again... in that situation I might even forget.

Also, the car does not have keys like our trucks. It's RFID and push-button start/stop. As the article stated, you have to hold the button for 3 seconds to shut the engine off. Three seconds at 120mph in a 45mph road is an eternity, especially when you need both hands on the wheel.

Very unfortunate... glad Toyota is taking action. However, the press needs to clarify the recall is for the all weather mats better.

9. Sep 29, 2009 at 2:54 PM
    Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    RI/Vt
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Xtra Cab
    And I thought it was my big boots that was causing the issue with mt Taco.

10. Sep 29, 2009 at 2:57 PM
    Major91

Major91 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD OffROAD Barcelona Red
    On Anytime Fog Lights Satoshi Grillcraft Misc LEDS 5100's all around Konig's16". Duratracks, debadged,tinted fronts, custom shifter, flyzeye
    Is'nt the clips holding the mats down anyway? My wifes Highlander has more issues with the mats than my 94 Taco or my 09 Taco......

I have no issues nor do i see myself pushing these mats forward as the groove in them are the right direction.......

Guess we find out more in time.........Odd.....:crazy:

11. Sep 29, 2009 at 2:58 PM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    I was driving a friend's car home once (b/c he was drunk) and had the floor mat stick the gas pedal down. It was scary as hell... mostly b/c I didn't know what was going on. I was able to stop the car w/ the brakes (it was a weak 4-cyl engine) and pull it out of gear, then turn it off. I yelled at him the next time I saw him.

I wouldn't think they'd issue a recall if they weren't going to replace the mat w/ something else. They'd just say "remove your mat."

I think they'll replace with a new and improved mat. HERE'S the real question... Are they going to replace both front mats so that they match, or will they just replace the driver's side? Not that it matters much, but you've gotta figure that the mats in a car would be evenly worn, and if they went and replaced one, they'd look goofy.

12. Sep 29, 2009 at 2:58 PM
    bigmooze

bigmooze Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Bilstein 5100's all round (0" up front with stock springs), 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kit, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Delta Champion Toolbox, fog lights, back-up lights, Sirius satellite radio with PA15-TOY, Midland 1001z CB radio with 2' Firestik II antenna, Weathertech floor mats, AVS sill protectors, Marathon SuperHides Seatcovers (Universal Digital Camo), trimmed front mud flaps, Viair 20005 OBA, Warn W650D driving lights and W650F fog lights on N-Fab light bar, Hi-Lift X-treme jack with off road accessories, TracRac "TracONE" system
    Since they're from the same place, I would err on the side of caution. Take a look at my post above for a link to their press release (Toyota.com).

13. Sep 29, 2009 at 2:59 PM
    ClemsonTacoma

ClemsonTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Lexington, SC
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Pioneer DEH-P5100UB single din HU and black dash kit, Alpine 12" sub custom inverted box bed liner'd, various interior trim painted black, 48 blue LED domelight, cheepo floor mats, hose clamp mod, Cobra CB and knock off firestik, Stock steelie rims, with 265/75/16 Sumitomo HTR Sport A/T's
    So there recalling all the vehicles?? :confused:

14. Sep 29, 2009 at 3:02 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    No one knows...More info is forthcoming- but not yet out. Lots of speculation tho.

I wouldn't waste the effort to get spun up about what Toyota better do or not do. Let them announce the procedure they want to use to fix the "problem" and THEN get pissed off about. I'll be keeping my eye out for more info about this.

15. Sep 29, 2009 at 3:03 PM
    gupster88

gupster88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Grey Off Road
    Stock
    boo for me...im an 06'

16. Sep 29, 2009 at 3:04 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    I heard about this a week or two ago... the guy was a police officer - don't remember if he was CHP or what... You'd think he would have known to turn the car off, put it in neutral, something... I'm sorry his family died, but it seems like it was at least partially his fault, .

If you use the clips that come with the mats, you should be good. (what I heard)

Unless the mat is on top of the pedal and your foot is on top of that, I do not see how it would be that bad. If the mat is under the gas pedal, it shouldn't do anything to your driving speed.

I'd try and hit something long before my speed got going that fast. I'm with PR on that they don't want to blame a dead man.... sorry, but if the shoe fits :crapstorm:

Now if there really wasn't anything he could have done, then I am sorry.

17. Sep 29, 2009 at 3:04 PM
    ClemsonTacoma

ClemsonTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Lexington, SC
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Pioneer DEH-P5100UB single din HU and black dash kit, Alpine 12" sub custom inverted box bed liner'd, various interior trim painted black, 48 blue LED domelight, cheepo floor mats, hose clamp mod, Cobra CB and knock off firestik, Stock steelie rims, with 265/75/16 Sumitomo HTR Sport A/T's
    Holy SHIT!!! That's the same car my mom has...I'm calling her right now and telling her to be careful!!!

18. Sep 29, 2009 at 3:05 PM
    johnw

johnw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    orlando florida
    Vehicle:
    well you asked for specs..... 06 trd sport speedway blue 5.3l v8 4.0 camburg lift spindles extended travel icons total chaos lowers allpro 4" leaf pack 17" xd hoss rims 37/12.5/17 mickey thompson baja atz Allpro hybrid bumper grill craft grill wicked flow muffler inside i have..... wet okole real tree camo seat cover blue oznium dome light stealth sub box with 2 10" kicker comp subs kicker 400 watt amp weathertech floor mats
    your included

19. Sep 29, 2009 at 3:05 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    Here is what I think they are going to do: They will recall all the identified vehicles and "inspect them" to ensure they have the OEM floormats and that the mats are properly affixed and have not been modified inappropriately. If the retaining pins have been lost or pulled out - some people do this so they are not bothered by them when they R/R the mats - they will reinstall them. Some people may get new mats, but I doubt this is a clean "replace them all" recall.

20. Sep 29, 2009 at 3:06 PM
    johnw

johnw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    orlando florida
    Vehicle:
    i just called them and they said they didnt know anything about it. then i read the article to them and for some reason they said bring your truck in and we will look at it.??? hmmmm

Products Discussed in

To Top