1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota Value Drop - NADA, KBB, EDMUNDS

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by billyjoe, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Feb 28, 2010 at 11:30 PM
    billyjoe

billyjoe [OP] Taco Fever - I've got it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB V6 4WD LTD
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau
    Sheesh! For months the retail value of used cars & trucks were actually increasing by about $25/month. Just a few days ago my 05 AC V6 4x4 SR5 w/48k retailed for an avg of $20k in NADA, KBB & Edmunds.

Looked at it this morning and suddenly it dropped by $500! :eek:

Guess it shouldn't bother me since I plan on keeping my 05 "forever", but, it still bugs me that public opinion is so easily swayed by the mass media (smear campaign). Just "spook the herd" once or twice and you got yourself a stampede (yeehaw!).

Sheeple are now throwing the baby out with the bath water. Merely mention you own a Toyota and they respond "OH NO!" regardless if it's a model being recalled or not.

Oh well, on the bright side, maybe I'll be able to pickup a recently purchased 2010 Tacoma for some shiny beads and a noise-maker when a sheeple owner firesales it while fleeing for their very life. :p

That's my rant and I'm sticking to it...

2. Mar 1, 2010 at 4:22 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Bad time to sell one.....or trade it in.

Give it time........ Hopefully all this crap will be done & over with and Toyota's should be back on the quality trail when I'm ready to buy another tacoma (in 3+ years or longer).

3. Mar 1, 2010 at 4:23 AM
    blackwatertaco

blackwatertaco If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Alvin/Pasadena, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 taco, 4x4 2.7 5spd.
    One fucked up diff. breather mod, 265/75/16 Destiny Dakota M/T Black gulf states rims BHLM Magnaflow 14" muffler with cut off tail pipe. 10" pioneer slim truck sub with JBL 600W amp. PROJECT BLACK OUT
    Sucks...But good thing I plan on keeping my taco.

4. Mar 1, 2010 at 4:28 AM
    SmoothFox

SmoothFox Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    DFW TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OFFROAD 4x4
    CBI Sliders,PIAA Lights, 5100's, 4 leaf pack.
    Well today is March 1st and I was really hoping I would see some nice rebates at Toyotas website this morning.

5. Mar 1, 2010 at 5:17 PM
    billyjoe

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB V6 4WD LTD
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau
    You know, the more I ask around, it's becoming apparent that there are more disguntled owners of late-model Toyotas (09-10) than for previous years.

One has to wonder what went wrong when you keep hearing of yet another issue with the late-models (Taco radio, Prius brakes, accelerator in 8 models, etc.)

In fact, I just came across a thread where a number of members were discussing Toyota's bone-headed re-design of the back seat in an Access Cab Tacoma. They were actually ripping everything out and installing 05-08 hardware. One member put it best: "its like they tried to make it into a mini double cab and just f***ed it up instead -the backseat isn't meant for people!"

That and the new LSD which isn't LSD at all but rather just use of differential braking. Obviously software is cheaper than machined steel, but again, according to the forums, apparently NOT THE SAME. Result, more unhappy owners of late model Tacomas.

What does it say when owners are retrofitting their new trucks with "old" hardware? Hmmm, that wise 'ole saying comes to mind: "Don't fix it...

6. Mar 1, 2010 at 5:35 PM
    NMG

NMG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport
    For every person who hates something new, there are others who like it. For example, I wanted the 09 specifically because it had traction control, unlike the 08's and earlier. I assume this was only possible because of the move to the electronic systems as opposed to the mechanical ones.

As for all of the new issues, I honestly think the press is jumping on absolutely ANYTHING Toyota related so it gives the appearance that there are all of these things out there. If the press gave the same leve of exposure to the issues from other auto makers, that's all we'd read or hear in the news. They ALL have problems, but they AREN'T being reported with the same frequency IMHO. Call it biased reporting, call it having an agenda, call it following the "hot" news story, whatever. How many Toyota's are still on the road without issues and how many happy owners are still out there? I personally know people who have a new Rav 4, an older Tacoma, a new Highlander and a newer Tundra. Then there is me with my new Tacoma. I haven't heard a single complaint out of any of them. Are these stories being reported? Probably not because it won't sell papers.

As for the NADA values and whatnot, how much did the other auto makers' vehicles drop by? Maybe they went down by the same or more? Maybe yours went down to reflect the 2010's coming out so now yours is another model year older than it was before.

7. Mar 1, 2010 at 5:39 PM
    theseuspower

theseuspower Member

Member:
    none
  8. Mar 1, 2010 at 5:40 PM
    dog tired

dog tired Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    After being here and reading post after post I think the problem is
    People who don't have a clue how to operate their vehicle - when they post how do I turn off traction control
    and how do I turn on the lockers

People who think that just because it says Toyota they don't have to :

wash it
    change the oil
    and preform a thing called "preventative maintenance "

Also is the problem of people who have unreal expectations of Toyota reliability -
    It is a Toyota it should never have a problem - ever.

I think those that are realistic get what they want a reliable tough go anywhere vehicle

9. Mar 1, 2010 at 5:41 PM
    ajohnson

ajohnson Glamour Shot

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB TRD Sport Prerunner 4x4
    Things and stuff and such
    My truck's value hasn't dropped in my book. I'm happy with my purchase.

10. Mar 1, 2010 at 5:47 PM
    Kahunadave

Kahunadave Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    05 DC PrernrTRD Sport
    K&N CAI-series 63, custom Billet Grille, Magnaflow exhaust, AR Tactic 17x8, Toyo A/T opencountry 265/70/17, Iridium plugs.
    Everything Depreciates..some more than others :eek:

11. Mar 1, 2010 at 6:03 PM
    billyjoe

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB V6 4WD LTD
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau

Products Discussed in

To Top