1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota VS American trucks

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacomaa1, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Aug 19, 2009 at 6:50 AM
    SACTOWN

SACTOWN ???????????????????????

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    '18 ZR2, 04 Rubicon, &19 lx570
    Well they just have small peters and need to make up for it some how!!!

2. Aug 19, 2009 at 7:10 AM
    Caddmannq

Caddmannq MotoNerd

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner TRD Sport DC LB
    Undercover toneau
    I work for a small engineering firm. Three of us own Gen2 Tacos, one also owns a Sienna. The CFO owns a Sequoia & a Civic, & just gave his 4-Runner to his son with 300k+ on the clock.

Three of us also own Camrys. The CEO owns a Lexus and an older Silverado, plus a BMW 5 series and a new Benz 350 something. I also own an older Pontiac & an even older Chevy. Our Camry is now 10 years old.

There are 4 young guys: two with Mustangs, one Malibu, and one Ford F150.

Except for the Ford owner, the other three are all talking about buying Toyota/Lexus.

But we're working on the Ford guy....

Nobody has had any mentionable problems with the Toyota/Lexus products. Not so with the other vehicles. None of the rest seem even close in reliability, durability, and economy, except the Honda (excellent) and the Ford (which is still a step down.)

I think you can guess what we're telling all the young guys that work for us:
    "If ya got any brains you'll buy a Toyota."

3. Aug 19, 2009 at 7:46 AM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    I think the Tacoma is as American as any other ones, with many being built in Mexico Canada ect.
    Is there any truck built completely here?

4. Aug 19, 2009 at 7:50 AM
    SACTOWN

SACTOWN ???????????????????????

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    '18 ZR2, 04 Rubicon, &19 lx570
    Sorry to steal the thunder saw this in the 2.7 thread and it explains alot

5. Aug 19, 2009 at 7:51 AM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    Here's a little story about where stuff is made. Yesterday I sold a Chevy emblem (the all American "Bow Tie") for a Chevy HHR that was made in China. Later in the day I sold a fog light bezel for a Mitsubishi Eclipse. It was made in.... The USA. The auto industry is no longer about foreign vs domestic. It's an international industry for nearly all car makers. Buy what you like. JMO.

6. Aug 19, 2009 at 7:56 AM
    TacoTurd

TacoTurd Defying Alliances since 2007

Member:
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, TRD CAI, Bull Bar, PIAA lights, Passport, Bed Mat, UWS Toolbox, Hood Struts, Rear TSB, TRD/Okole Seat Covers, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Burned Carpet, Nasty Dent in Roof
    No kidding. I AM a die-hard redneck, but just couldn't do that to myself. GM and Ford build great full-size trucks, but the Ranger is an obsolete Mazda and the Colorado/Canyon is, well, INSANELY bad.

Nissan and Toyota own the mid-size truck segment.

7. Aug 19, 2009 at 7:56 AM
    NAAC3TACO

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    Oh and another thing. I'm as pro American as anybody, but I don't want GM to stop selling cars in Europe, Australia, Brazil, or China (where they actually make a profit) anymore than I want Toyota to stop selling cars here.

8. Aug 19, 2009 at 8:08 AM
    raskal311

raskal311 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S. Cal
    5100 set to max, pending LSD and TRD CAI
    I disagree!!!!!!

The Japanese get extremely happy when they are around school girls in uniform..

9. Aug 19, 2009 at 8:27 AM
    Manitoulin

Manitoulin Member

Member:
    Toyota 4x4s(Land Cruisers) are all over the world. Land Cruisers out last them all even Unimogs, and Hummers when it comes to underground. Last time they decided to test Dodges they wouldn't even last a shift with out breaking down. I would drive my Land Cruiser at 6 k in 4lo all the time and jump it, with the engine light on most of the time. Then my dad has had Fords with almost half a million kms, they may last on surface but not underground.

10. Aug 19, 2009 at 8:32 AM
    JeffRock

JeffRock Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capital region, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma accesscab 4x4 SR5 2.7L
    Toyota all weather floor mats. Mag light that clunks around in the jack compartment. Dog hair. Dog drool on the windows.
    Uh.. my truck is American.. Built in Cali. By American workers...
    My last two fords were built in Canada.

that's usually what i tell people. Then they go into, But the money stays here when you buy domestic..

Uh nope.. The big three have so many foreign investors, It's almost not true. not to mention it geso to execs for their silly pay checks. then i repeat the first thing.. Saying that being built by American workers, the money does stay here.

11. Aug 19, 2009 at 8:39 AM
    rutherk1

rutherk1 ElPhantasmo&TheChickenRunBlastarama

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver TRD 4door
    There is no such thing as an american truck or a japanese one for that matter. Some american trucks are built in canada with mexican and chinese parts. Most of the big quad cabs Dodges are made in Mexico. It really doesn't matter. I used to be a 100% die hard Ford guy. After all these govt bailouts taking our tax money and giving it to poorly run companies then running commercials trying to guilt us into buying an "american" car? Ridiculous. No thanks. GM is taking tax dollars from the bailout then moving some production overseas in order to save money. My hard earned money shouldn't go to someone else's company because they don't know how to run a business. For some reason the american auto industry always gets sympathy. No such love for the Telecom industry 5-10 years ago.

12. Aug 19, 2009 at 8:43 AM
    Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Had a guy give me the the 5th over buying Jap cars and I should buy domestic. I asked him what he drove....he said "Just bought my 3rd Pontiac and I love it"...I asked what it was...he said, "a Pontiac Vibe". I said..."Here's your sign".:frusty:

I honestly don't give a rat's ass what anyone thinks....I like Toyo trucks, light beer and fat chicks...so what.:cool:

13. Aug 19, 2009 at 8:44 AM
    SLOH

SLOH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5, dc long bed speedway blue
    2.5 Icon c/o's and 3" AllPro rear suspension kit, 17" XD Series Addict w/ 285/70/R17 BFG KM2's, K&N 63 Series CAI, 13.5'' JL Sub (13TW5v2-2) and 500w Rockford Fosgate amp, limo tint all around, cat back banks exhaust with no muffler or tip, blue dash light mod, "taco" 3rd brake light mod, blue dome-light mod, cb radio and 4' firestik antenna, blacked out hoodscoop(thanks randy), Total Chaos UCA's
    i used to get crap from my friends, they all have chevy, sierra's, silverado's and what not and they all used to be like ahh you have a jap car blah blah blah. Anyways, we all ended up going off roading and they couldn't put their money where there mouth was and ever since then they all actually respect yota's now, at least tacoma's anyways

Another instance where i was trying to build respect for the taco's was down at the sand dunes in glamis. I swear i was THE only tacoma there, everyone had huge lifted fords, chevy's all that stuff and they would all look at me driving by with smirks, so we ended up going to the sand drags, where practically everyone that is currently in glamis goes to from like 2-6. I ended up racing an s10 with mid travel and a Ram 1500 with a 6 or 7 inch lift, they both thought they were hot shit until they got to the other end of the strip 2 seconds behind me. Just put that puppy in 4HI, started it out in L and the rest was history

Gotta rep them tacos, TACO pride baby

14. Aug 19, 2009 at 9:03 AM
    JigSaw

JigSaw Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    09 Taco
    Old friend of mine works for a Top American Corp in the HR Dept. He tells me that applicants for employment that drive Toyota's go to the top of the list as statistics show they are more reliable, productive and on average miss less days of work. Go figure.

15. Aug 19, 2009 at 9:08 AM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    its funny everyone that i know that have LT rangers and f150s that go to the desert said they woulda rather built up a tacoma.... everyone loves tacos over here :)

16. Aug 19, 2009 at 9:11 AM
    jonny

jonny Betty White Edition Heep ZJ

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    god damn you Jake and your distracting sigs
    lol

17. Aug 19, 2009 at 9:16 AM
    MattN03

MattN03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Bluegrass State
    Vehicle:
    SOLD: 07 DC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    20% window tint, beep mod, hardwired V1, TSB springs, AVS Bugshield-21803, USA Spec PA15, OEM Tacoma scuff plates, Weathertech mats, Truxedo LoPro, TRD skid, GY Duratrac's 265/75/16 C Range, locker mod (switch method)
    I live within an hour of TMMK (home of the Camry) so there are tons of Toyota's around. I have owned 3 Ford trucks previously and never had any trouble out of them however. If they made a true midsize truck, I might still be driving one. I've enjoyed my Tacoma so far too and haven't had any issues after 9600 miles on the odometer. Time will tell how well it holds up...

18. Aug 19, 2009 at 9:29 AM
    hawaiikone

hawaiikone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    Mililani, Hi.
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner
    racks for my paddleboard
    Over the last 40 years I've had Ford and Chevy. I fixed them when they broke, and worked them till they dropped. When you need to regularly carry 1 or 2 tons and tow 4 or 5 only those trucks would do the job.
    20 years or so ago people started buying trucks for reasons other than work, and the games began. Few trucks today actually work, used mainly for the commute and some play. I retired a couple of years ago, and just got a prerunner, and love it. For what I use it for it can't be beat.
    Bashing is subjective, although entertaining. Each of us has our experiences, and they form our opinions. Personally, had I used Toyotas and Datsuns for my business, I wouldn't have lasted very long.

19. Aug 19, 2009 at 9:35 AM
    NAAC3TACO

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    In 1986 I worked for a company whose owner was a die hard GM man. All of his company work trucks were Toyotas. I used a new 1986 Toyota for two years and drove the absolute crap out of it. I literally drove it like I stole it on a regular basis and it never broke down. It never even needed a clutch. It never leaked a drop of anything. Nuff said.

20. Aug 19, 2009 at 9:51 AM
    hawaiikone

hawaiikone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    Mililani, Hi.
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner
    racks for my paddleboard
    Like I said, it's all about our personal experiences..

Products Discussed in

To Top