1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota Warranty

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by carlson27, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Aug 26, 2015 at 2:08 PM
    ODNAREM

ODNAREM MEMBER Of The Church Of @ODNAREM

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Huntington Beach,CA.
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Prerunner
    TRD catback exhaust,FJ Cruiser trail team wheels,BFG All Terrain K02 tires,Grillcraft front grill,Pelfreybilt IFS/Mid skids,sliders,standard rear bumper,Total Chaos bed stiffeners.TRD Pro Bilstein front/rear suspension.
    Pretty embarrasing how finance manager's can act!After 3 or 4 time's of different extended warranty quote's i finally started busting up laughing because i could see the tension building up in him beacause i wasn't interested at all!He asked what was so funny!I told him he was!He acted like he didn't understand.I told him it was time for me to drive my new Tacoma and good luck on making a comission on the next buyer/purchaser he dealt with!I would pass OP but if it gives you a better piece of mind than go for it.

2. Aug 26, 2015 at 2:23 PM
    bdunna

bdunna Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 tundra access cab
    You should run for office

3. Aug 26, 2015 at 2:31 PM
    gunny1005

gunny1005 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    There are a few different extended warranties out there at different prices. He was probably trying to get you to buy the most expensive at first then offer you a cheaper(less coverage) after you declined. I work for a Toyota Dealer and have purchased many new vehicles and I have yet to purchase an extended warranty. Not because I work for a dealer just because you get a 36/60 month warranty from Toyota. If I had purchased an extended warranty I would have never used it because I had no need for it.

ODNAREM likes this.
  4. Aug 26, 2015 at 2:53 PM
    Eric NJ

Eric NJ Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    I am a big fan of the 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. Especially if you can negotiate it in for a reasonable price. Don't say "you wont need it". You can also use it wisely. Here is an example. My wife had a toyota. At 65,000 miles one of her front wheel hubs started to squeal. Was covered under extended warranty. Before that warranty ended, I told the dealer that I think I hear a noise from the other one. They changed that one too right before the warranty ended.

I just bought a 2010 Corolla for my son. It has a 7 year extended warranty. One week after getting it the check engine light came on. Taking it to the dealer to check it out. Any issues including sensors will most likely be covered.

gunny1005 likes this.
  5. Aug 26, 2015 at 4:45 PM
    bdunna

bdunna Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 tundra access cab
    I did buy one on my 2005 tundra, but for what I payed it was a good deal. Have used it for a couple of o2 sensors, but nothing else. It al.ost paid for itself as my sensors were about 300 a piece. No major stuff though. Bought one one for a used 2008 honda oddyssey and it has saved ass a few times.

6. Aug 26, 2015 at 5:47 PM
    KYDeer

KYDeer Well-Known Member

Member:
    I priced gap insurance through the dealer I forget exactly, but $$$. Like $100 a month or something like that on the monthly payment. Through my auto insurance, it was less than $20 a month extra. I put a big down payment as well, but you still can't replace it if it gets wiped out first couple of years.

I actually bought the basic 100k warranty, then changed my mind, that's why I bought Toyota, and those I know with 2nd gen have over 100k and haven't done anything besides oil changes.

But I'm also not a fan of new first year models, so I'm glad I got my 2015.

7. Aug 26, 2015 at 6:02 PM
    mountainwolfpup

mountainwolfpup Ford Guy (Formerly known as a Toyota Guy)

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5l Eco
    First month of ownership... This month I'm removing front air dam, and also Rhino lining the bed.
    It is my assertion that extended warranties are a waste of money on a new vehicle. Most issues will be caught and resolved during the standard warranty period. And issues affecting a wide number of owners are often covered anyway long beyond the warranty period.

Also:
    • Wear items are not covered, and most of the truck components actually end up falling under this category.
    • There is usually a deductible "co pay" for every repair of several hundred dollars.
    Worse, many dealerships push 3rd party warranties instead of the "official" Toyota manufacturer extended warranty. These warranties are a down-right SCAM! They require you to only visit that specific dealer for warranty service and almost nothing is actually covered. Sure it appears everything is covered and it's a great deal, but a legal expert will tell you the wording is tricky to wiggle out of almost every repair. I can list a long listing of these companies and their tactics... dealerships get a percentage kickback (sometimes 20-30 percent) for selling you a 3rd party warranty instead of the manufacturer warranty. Usually the finance guy tries to push the warranty BTW. But don't worry, if you decline it they will each out to you months after the sale and extend that same and even better pricing.

Summarize to say you'd be fine without the extended warranty and statistically won't need it (if you did then they'd be in a money losing business). However, if you really can't afford a $3k repair bill (very unlikely but a statistical possibility) then at least pay for ONLY a legitimate Toyota manufacturer warranty. Not a warranty from a dealership or 3rd party company you've never heard of.

Here is a good report from Consumer Reports on the warranty scams

8. Aug 26, 2015 at 6:23 PM
    TacoBella

TacoBella Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma (SOLD) leased RTL-E Ridgeline
    AVS Bug Deflector. TruXedo Lo Pro

Products Discussed in

To Top