1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota will not be printing 2012 Tacoma FSM's

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Fury, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:30 PM
    Fury

Fury [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hi all.

I called the TIS (technical information system) MDC (material distribution center) today. I was interested in getting the FSM's (factory service manual) for my new 2012 Taco.

I was surprised to have them tell me that Toyota will not be printing the FSM's for the 2012 MY. I couldn't believe my ears so I'm not sure but I think they said they do have the EWD (electrical wiring diagram). They said the TIS site will be the only option for accessing the 2012 FSM's. :eek:

For a while I was thinking I would have to rely on a Haynes manual when they come out in 2 (!) years. (Don't get me wrong - I have many Haynes manuals for previous used vehicles I've owned and they served me well but I have the FSM for the 3 new bikes I've owned and wanted to continue that tradition with my first new 4 wheel vehicle)

After checking out the TIS site I commend Toyota for taking this step. I priced out the 2011 manuals from the MDC and going by memory, the 4 volumes for the repair manual were 250, 160, 250, and 160 USD. The EWD manual was 180. A 2 day subscription to TIS is 15 bucks and a month is 75 ... The manuals in their entirety could be downloaded in a month of spare time easily, for a tiny fraction of the price of the printed copies. I will be doing just that in the near future.

The TIS site is well laid out, easy to navigate, and contains much more info than the FSM's on any Toyota, Lexus, and Scion from 1990 on - good stuff.

I must say this site is a great resource as well.:)

Cheers
    :D:D:D

2. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:38 PM
    Fractured

Fractured FPS-a-holic

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    NOR*Cal
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCSB 4x4
    TRD wheels, TRD cat back exhaust, ScanGauge 2, Debadged, Avid sliders, UWS bed box w/automatic LED light, Led Interior/Reverse/Lic. Plate lights, Yellow Fogs, Flyzeye Light, Color matched grill, Rearview mirror relocate bracket, Power Sliding rear window, Plasti-dipped bumper/"T" emblem
    I used tis all the time when I was a tech. It is a great resource. I don't know about paying for it though, luckily I still have contacts at the dealership so I have access to it!

3. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:51 PM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Here for the Taco Pron

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
    That's FBS (F**king Bull Sh*t) !

4. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:57 PM
    4wd Boss

4wd Boss Shake and Bake

Member:
    First Name:
    Jefferson
    Big D
    Vehicle:
    16 Quiksand TRD Offroad
    Fog Light Mod, Pro Grille, raptor lights, 1.25 spacers, RC coilovers
    x2. what a bunch of crooks to charge that much. print or online. good thing you never have to work on these badboys!

5. Feb 21, 2012 at 7:48 PM
    DIVERMAN

DIVERMAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cullen
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica 4x4 TRD O/R SWB
    Tailgate theft prevention, Locking rear window, Blind spot mirrors, Fogs on anytime, Rear diff breather relocated, Bed storage locks, LEDs in/out, Relocated trailer plug(custom!), OEM bed mat, OEM running boards, OEM bed divider, Bed lights, Rev lights, Raptor lights, WeatherTech floor mats and window vents, Extra D-rings, ImMrYo Bracket, UWS low pro black toolbox, Carhartt seat covers,
    thanks for the info fury!!

6. Feb 21, 2012 at 7:56 PM
    Snowman

Snowman I have a problem for your solution…

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Somewhere in Canada
    Vehicle:
    Check out my build
    I know Honda stopped printing most, if not all, of their manuals a while back too. Everything is online now, much cheaper for them that way. An online manual never gets torn, soaked in oil, covered in fingerprints, or lost either. I never ended getting one for my Tacoma. I just look up whats needed as I need it. Print off the page or two if I have to.

7. Mar 24, 2012 at 10:52 PM
    Fury

Member:
    Hi all.

I downloaded the 05+ (it's actually '06) FSM from the TTora site. The 203 MB PDF file contains the repair and EWD manuals. The online version is good but when you dload it all the files are just numbers rendering it unusable ...

So ... since I've been waiting for my truck to land (7 weeks wait - I picked her up today. :D) I've been naming the files (over 1500 of 'em) and arranging them into folders. Not sure how, but when it's done I would gladly share with anyone interested. The problem is it is near 500 MB already and I still have a few hundred to name yet so not sure how to share it ?

When done I will be going onto TIS and checking out the 2012 versions of all the manuals. They have gone away from PDF format for manuals newer than 2006 so I will have to see what is going to be involved in downloading but I do have other methods, albeit time intensive, if necessary (print to acrobat distiller or screenshots).

I will be happy to share these as well when I have them if there is a way.

Cheers
    Ray.

8. Mar 25, 2012 at 1:58 AM
    Fairbanks AK

Fairbanks AK Well-Known Member

Member:
    dropbox.com

sign up for an account, put the stuff into your public directory, then share the link.

PM me if you need help, I'd be more than willing to help you get this online.

9. Mar 25, 2012 at 4:25 AM
    greenrustic

greenrustic Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB 4x4 TRD SPORT
    Access LTD Tonneau Cover, Weather Tech Digital Fit Mats, Weather Tech Rain Guards, 35% Tint up Front, AFE Dry Power Intake Filter, Debadged, GrilleCraft, OME 884x, OME 9000 NitroChargers, Icon 3 Leaf Progressive AAL
    I'm interested in the 2012 FSM and agree that dropbox or box.net would be a great way to share it. Thanks.

10. Mar 25, 2012 at 5:54 AM
    Slimwood Shady

Slimwood Shady I love your mom!

Member:
    First Name:
    Linwood
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD Pro Tundra; 996TT; '16 Odyssey
    #nomods
    Drop box FTW!

11. Mar 25, 2012 at 6:50 AM
    1GR

1GR Toyota Dealer Technician

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport
    Not to make you jealous or anything. But I have a free log in. ;)

12. Mar 25, 2012 at 8:07 AM
    Slimwood Shady

Member:
    First Name:
    Linwood
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    #nomods
    :spy: O'rerry!?

13. Mar 25, 2012 at 8:50 AM
    1GR

1GR Toyota Dealer Technician

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport
    Yup. As a Toyota Technician, I have full access to all the information from any computer. :D

14. May 6, 2012 at 7:53 PM
    Fury

Member:
    Hi all.

Read the posts above for a rundown of the situation.

I have completed the task of naming all of the PDF files and arranging them into a usable format, in the 2006 Tacoma FSM and EWD manuals. Needless to say, it took MANY hours of my spare time. Even though I obtained the material from TTORA, I hesitate to put it on Dropbox and share the obviously copyrighted info. I would like to share with any on here that are interested but I wonder if there is a better way ? The folder is 279 MB, 103 folders, 1475 files.

My Taco is a 2012, so I will be checking out TIS for a 2 day subscription ($15 US) to start with, next weekend.I will be attempting to get the manuals there, for the 2012 Tacoma in their entirety. For some of them this may be time consuming since from 2006 on, they changed to a viewer that isn't in PDF format. I will have to see what procedure I will have to use because I don't see a save / download option - only print.
    Here is a list of the manuals they have available for the 2012 Taco I will be trying to get :
    - Repair Manuals
    - Electrical Wiring Diagram Manual
    - Wire Harness Repair
    - Collision Repair Manual
    - Collision Repair Information Bulletins
    - Service Bulletins (I'm not sure if there is any yet)
    - New Car Features
    - Campaign Publications (US version - Canadian not available)
    - Accessory Diagnostic Guides (US version - Canadian not available)
    - Accessory Installation Instructions
    - Technician Reference
    - Dealer Model Reference
    - Automatic Transmission Manual (2005 is the latest year this is available)

They also have the owners manuals but I got them already from the Club Toyota site so I don't have to dig mine out of my glove box every time I want to read up on something.

As you can see I'm a bit of an info nut and I only have this to say about my new truck ...
    I Love Her .... :eek:

Anyway, I will let you guys know how it goes. As with the 2006 manuals I would like to share with anyone interested if I can get around (or just over) the copyrighted info sharing.

Cheers
    Ray.

15. May 7, 2012 at 4:04 AM
    Slimwood Shady

Member:
    First Name:
    Linwood
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    #nomods
    I am very interested...when you find a way, hit me up...

16. Aug 1, 2012 at 11:43 AM
    Haikubob

Haikubob New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma access cab
    Fury, any success in figuring out how to share the repair info you painstakingly collected on the 2012 Tacoma ?

17. Aug 10, 2012 at 8:34 AM
    Sam24462

Sam24462 New Member

Member:
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Vehicle:
    12 PreRunner SR5
    Interested :)

18. Aug 10, 2012 at 5:42 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    So are a lot of other people.

19. Aug 10, 2012 at 7:23 PM
    Fury

Member:
    Hi all.

I got every scrap of info on TIS for my '12 Taco - including :
    - Repair Manual
    2596 files that I arranged into 756 folders
    - Electrical Wiring Diagram
    64 files that I arranged into 8 folders
    - Body Repair Manual
    79 files that I arranged into 4 folders
    2005 to 2012 MY, includes every dimension there is
    - Tech Tips
    10 files
    - Service Bulletins
    USA, 24 files
    Canada, 12 files
    I live in Canada
    - Service Campaigns
    1 file
    - Collision Repair Info Bulletins
    1 file
    - Wire Harness Repair Manual
    5 files
    - Accessories
    Diagnostic Guides, 4 files
    Installation Instructions, 29 files
    - Automatic Transmission Repair Manual
    30 files that I arranged into 13 folders
    For the 2005 A340F
    My truck has the A750F 5 speed auto but I thought I would get the manual anyway
    - Tacoma New Car Features
    226 files that I arranged into 84 folders
    I got these for every MY from 1995 to 2012
    These have some fantastic info in them, esp the 2005 MY, the first of the second Gen
    - Technician Reference Guides
    156 files that I arranged into 14 folders
    14 reference guides, good stuff.
    - Technical Training Courses
    231 files that I arranged into 25 folders
    25 mechanics courses, great stuff.
    I am already highly knowledgeable on vehicles but there are things to learn in these
    - Assorted other minor stuff
    I got all the tech magazines, techstream info, the '12 brochure, the '12 dealer model reference, assorted Entune info (my truck doesn't have Entune), Universal audio info (my truck doesn't have this either)

Other info I have obtained from other sources online (including this site):
    - A great pdf on the 1GR-FE (V6 - 4 liter)
    From here on the forum
    Not in any info I got from TIS but I'm thinking it is among the Tundra info there
    My truck has the 1GR
    - The '12 Owners Manual
    - The '12 Owners Manual Supplement
    Both of the above, so I don't have to dig them out of the glove box when I want to look something up
    - The '12 US Warranty and Maintenance Guide
    As a reference
    - A VIN decoder sheet that I edited with my VIN and highlighted the appropriate lines

I got a 2 day standard subscription at TIS for 15 bucks US at first. I then got the 75 buck standard 1 month subscription and obtained all the info above in about 15 days of my spare time.

All of the info is already in PDF format that you can dload, except :
    - The EWD
    This is viewed in a special viewer. You can hit the print button and it will open the diagram in a PDF format that you can then dload. As I stated above, there are 64 diagrams.
    - The Repair Manual
    This is viewed in a special viewer for MY 2005 and later IIRC. This one is much more time consuming ... This is the info I wanted in the first place before I knew about all the other resources that were available. The viewer has a print button that will bring up your print options. I have adobe acrobat loaded so one of the printers to choose from is the acrobat distiller that will render the print job into a PDF file. Just to be clear ... 2596 files that must be distilled, named, and arranged into folders that correspond to how the manuals (there are 4) are arranged - one by one. I wouldn't want to count the hours this took ...
    I suppose one could print to paper but some of the files have many pages. I bet the entire RM would print into 10, 000 pages ! (just a guess ...)

As I posted above, I called the Material Distribution Center of TIS before I ever went online. They informed me the 4 RM's are not going to be printed from now on. They were going to cost around 700 bucks (!) even if they were to be available, so 75 bucks and a bunch of your spare time is still worth it at TIS IMO. As was posted above, by having the info in electronic format, it never gets lost, torn, or otherwise messed up.

One thing I do want to mention. Having the repair manual downloaded in electronic form does have one limitation. When you view a procedure online, many of the steps have an info button you can hit to go to a different section to view the procedure for that item. This button only says info and doesn't say exactly where it will take you. This is no big deal when you are viewing online but obviously, when the stuff is dloaded that button isn't going to work. This is a fairly minor inconvenience if you have the entire manual dloaded - the proper section can be figured out, but if you only have a section it could be a problem.

I don't want to put any of this obviously copyrighted info in its entirety up on the net. My truck folder is currently 2.46 GB with 5165 files ! I don't know how I would share it anyway. I can never have too much info and knowledge on the things I love - that's just the type of guy I am though.

I would help anyone by putting a link up, for a section of any of the manuals. I would try to use something like filedropper. Better yet, I encourage you guys to pay the 75 bucks for a month subscription and get all the info you have the patients to get. Even if you just go for the 2 day, 15 buck subscription on a weekend and get the info you need at the time - you can get stuff a little at a time as you need it.

Post in this thread if you want the section you need or any help in getting the info from TIS yourself - I would be happy to help.

Cheers
    Ray.

20. Aug 15, 2012 at 8:45 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Ray,

I sent you a Private message... ?

Products Discussed in