1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota's Frame buyback

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Dhawk1313, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Apr 6, 2011 at 3:58 PM
    Dhawk1313

Dhawk1313 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    99 SR5
    Clear Corners, Clear Turn Signals, Pioneer Headunit, Kenwood speakers up front, Alpines in back, Billy 5100's front + rear, Toytec AAL, Eibach/Toytec Coilovers, Toytec Diff drop, Smoked taillights
    Hey guys. As I here more and more about the whole frame recall due to rust and Toyota buying the truck back, it's making me wanna get it checked. You get a pretty decent chunk of change and it'd most definitely be worth it. I've been wanting a 2nd gen for a while and that money would help in getting one. There's really only one problem. The truck has only been in a "harsh" environment for about 5 years. It was a Texas truck for most of it's life and about 5 years ago it was brought up to Jersey by my Uncle. Think the time here has been enough for it to fail the frame inspection? The winters lately have been pretty bad so I'm thinking that'd help obviously due to the amount of salt laid. This is basically gonna be the deciding factor if I schedule it to get checked as I'm sure you guys know best. Thanks in advance.
    -Drew

2. Apr 6, 2011 at 4:01 PM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    no hurt in trying it!!

3. Apr 6, 2011 at 7:09 PM
    Reverend

Reverend Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Baltimore
    Vehicle:
    2004 4-Cylinder Extra Cab
    buy the truck back? what?

4. Apr 6, 2011 at 7:15 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco Grill Sergeant Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Bucks County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    four sticks, dual cases, zero fucks...
    Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    I did it... Got a 2nd gen taco out of it..

5. Apr 6, 2011 at 7:21 PM
    09RMZ10tacoma

09RMZ10tacoma Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dane
    pittsburgh,PA
    Vehicle:
    10 tacoma trd sport
    Toytec 3 inch lift
    Befoe I took mine in I looked underneath it and honestly wasn't that bad but they still bought it back and I got a x-runner out of it. Last time I heard they stopped buying them back, they are just putting new frames underneath them. Wouldn't hurt and see could at least get a new frame out of it.

6. Apr 24, 2011 at 3:34 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    Rusty Toyota Tacoma? Toyota May Buy Back Your Truck For 150% The Value

Matt Hardigree — It wasn't too long ago that Toyota announced they were going to extend the rust-perforation warranty on about 813,000 model-year 1995 to 2000 Tacoma pickups due to serious issues with corrosion of the frame in certain areas. This means that you could add 15 years onto the model year and, if you had problems, take it in to a dealer to have it looked at. If there is damage, which is possible if you live in an area where salt is frequently used on roads, Toyota will either repair or offer to repurchase your vehicle. This is where it gets interesting. No matter what condition your truck is in, Toyota will buy it back at 150% the KBB "excellent condition" price.

Toyota is looking for serious rust that has perforated the frame and not rust on the outside of the car and has issued guidelines for the dealerships, i.e. they will not buy back a truck if they just have to replace a rusty bolt. That being said, if your truck does exhibit some rust they'll give you a loaner car and enter the details in their system to be evaluated by Toyota. Just to test how much value there could be, we built a non-TRD 2000 Tacoma Xtra Cab with moderate options with 120K in the Chicago area and got a value of $10,900, meaning that Toyota would have to give the owner of such a truck $16,350 if the damage was serious enough. The flipside of this is that, if you own a Tacoma without rust, the resale value of your truck could diminish due to a perception of poor quality. If you're lucky, maybe you can trade up to a 1997 Tacoma, before the sudden and unexpected acceleration investigation leads to yet another truck buyback.

http://jalopnik.com/#!376911/rusty-toyota-tacoma-toyota-may-buy-back-your-truck-for-150-the-value

7. Apr 24, 2011 at 3:36 PM
    VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla Itsnevertoearlytostartbee fingupyourobituary

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    East Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 BSP Pre Runner SR5
    Tint. (DONE) Soon to come. 3in Llift (OME) Color matched grill (DONE) BHLM (DONE) Tail tint (DONE) Pro comp rims (8069) End goal: Murdered out truck
    Do it. See what happens, either way you're getting something out of it.

8. Apr 24, 2011 at 3:42 PM
    TacomaBuzz

TacomaBuzz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 RegCab 4x4 TX Special Edition
    Sirius, Bugflector,back-rack, stepsides.
    You have nothing to lose, go for it!!! Good luck and keep us all posted how it turns out.

9. Apr 24, 2011 at 5:18 PM
    gusotto

gusotto gusotto

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma 4X4 SR5 Extended Cab
    The mechanic that replaced my '01 frame said they are also replacing Tundra frames.
    They've done both Tacoma and Tundra frames at their dealership.
    Toyota is taking care of their owners.

To Top