1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TPMS Batteries on the way out '06

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cmoore, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Mar 5, 2020 at 5:49 AM
    navynuke

navynuke Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake Wylie, SC
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road DC
    It’s my understanding that TPMS batteries are not replaceable.

Crow Horse and six5crèéd like this.
  2. Mar 5, 2020 at 5:54 AM
    six5crèéd

six5crèéd Go fish.

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce, or Crèéd, neither is correct.
    Southern Virginia
    That's what I've been told as well. Someone could make a fortune if they invented some with replaceable batteries.

3. Mar 5, 2020 at 5:55 AM
    Crow Horse

Crow Horse Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 ACLB TRDS, 2012 DCSB TRDOR
    I’m on the opposite side of the fence. My only disappointment is that tire pressure isn’t displayed on the dash.

will.i.was[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Mar 5, 2020 at 6:23 AM
    Micbt25

Micbt25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TM
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM TRD Sport Access Cab 4X4 V6
    I agree that seems high, manually check the tires until your ready to swap them out. Rockauto carries the OE Densos, if you go that route search google for a RA coupon code, there always out there. I know people have suggested eBay, which some have good luck others don’t. Lately I’ve been getting burned with my eBay purchases even after looking into the seller, my wife laughs at me because I’m still ordering from eBay...fool me once...

I tend to favor Amazon over eBay, because of easier returns. I had to replace one of the HID ballasts and ordered from amazon, it was a lot cheaper than OE and so far so good.

And I second @EdgemanVA, Costco has been my go to for tires for almost a decade, great experience, especially if you have an executive membership and the visa, so ya get the points. Got my current BFG KO2s there and they didn’t charge anything extra for programming the ACDelco TPMSs that I bought from rock.

Good luck.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    spitdog[QUOTED] and jackn7 like this.
  5. Mar 5, 2020 at 7:11 AM
    DaveInDenver

DaveInDenver Not Actually in Denver

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Grand Junction
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White TRDOR AC 6MT
    Unexceptional
    Batteries can be replaced but they are not designed for it. You have to pop the back off, remove the silicone, replace the battery and re-seal. Google it and you'll find videos and write-ups. I had a couple of sensors that were dead in a set of wheel I bought so I experimented in preparation for my 2008 set eventually failing. It seems like it's doable but will take some patience. Not sure it's worth the trouble when you can find Denso/Pacific Industries cheap enough on Amazon and stuff.

6. Mar 5, 2020 at 7:19 AM
    Fishnwiz

Fishnwiz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver TRD ORDCSB 4x4
    Good reason to buy a 2020 now

7. Mar 5, 2020 at 7:30 AM
    Muddinfun

Muddinfun Well-Known Member

Member:
    Scangauge can show tire pressures. I run 2 Scangauges with an OBD2 splitter.

8. Mar 6, 2020 at 4:07 AM
    cmoore

cmoore [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    I put some new Mich LTX's on at Costco about 4 months ago. Didn't even think about the TPMS at the time and they didn't mention it either. I agree that $80 per tire is too much. I've got a tire shop down the street from me that plugs/patches tires. If I buy the sensors and have them installed by the corner tire shop what kind of programming am I looking at if any? I imagine that light will start blinking again at some point since the truck is 14 years old now but then again we just sold a 16 year old Sienna and it still had the factory TPMS sensors and they were working fine.

9. Mar 7, 2020 at 6:48 AM
    TACOMA2NDGEN

TACOMA2NDGEN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ROLAND
    new jersey
    Vehicle:
    2010 dcsb silver sport trd
    baja squadron pros
    My batteries are dead in mine and my light is always on. . I ended up taking the dash cluster and put black tape over the light. And i do check my tires once a week. I have my viaair pump and with a nice jasco gauge

10. Mar 7, 2020 at 7:20 AM
    Muddinfun

Muddinfun Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yesterday I got to see exactly what TPMS was made for. I was sitting in my truck in the bank parking lot surfing TW. A minivan pulled in and parked on my left side. In my rear view mirror, I saw a lady by the right rear tire. She was pulling on something shiny on the tire. I got out and looked and it was a key stabbed into the tire and the tire was half flat. She was driving along and her TPMS light came on and she pulled into the parking lot. I put on her spare for her and she headed off to the tire store to get her tire repaired or replaced. Of course her donut spare only had 20lbs in it. I aired it up with my co2 tank and she was on her way. The TPMS light gave her enough warning that she was able to pull into a safe place without having a catastrophic tire failure.

06Tacooo likes this.
  11. Mar 7, 2020 at 7:35 AM
    rphillips

rphillips Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Norene TN.
    Vehicle:
    2013 Reg. cab 4x4
    none
    Wait a minute. Let's get back to the Costco that says they're replacing the batt. in your TPMS. Were they just joking with you, or were they actually screwing you??? We all know they did nothing to the TPMS batt.

Products Discussed in

To Top