1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TPMS, new wheels: swap or mod

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Cannonball, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Apr 6, 2010 at 7:50 PM
    Cannonball

Cannonball [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 diesel / 1979 Jeep CJ-5
    Hello all, I have done a search and read a bunch of posts and was hoping to get some opinions. I just got a DCLB Taco with the TRD Sport package and am not thrilled with the wheels (265/65/17). So I ordered a set of FJ anthracite wheels and plan on putting some medium treads (265/75/16) on them. BFG AT, General AT2, maybe Cooper ST-C. I'm not sure what to do with the stock wheels or about TPMS.

I was thinking about keeping the stock wheels stacked in the garage and just putting some tape over the TPMS indicator for when I go on longer trips. I was also thinking of selling the stock wheels/tires, but it would suck to pay for the TPMS to be removed from the stock wheels and installed on the FJ's and then have to pay to re-mount and balance the stock wheels to sell them. So what would you all do?

1) stack stock wheels with TPMS in the garage, cover indicator (F TPMS)
    2) swap TPMS, remount stock and stack them in garage
    3) swap TPMS and get stock tires re-mounted and sell them
    4) swap TPMS, sell tires and wheels separate (don't remount)
    5) Other - lemme know

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Apr 6, 2010 at 9:21 PM
    deejaecee

deejaecee Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 Double Cab Sport
    Im in the same situation as you. As of right now I am going with option 2. If I feel like Im not going to use them again I will sell them. I also looked at purchasing another set of tpms for the new wheels, but its going to cost me about $300 total for the sensors and to recalibrate them for the truck.

3. Apr 6, 2010 at 9:22 PM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    take off the tpms stick in a sealed pvc tube with a valve stem on it, pressurise and hide them somewhere in the truck

4. Apr 6, 2010 at 9:36 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    F THE TMPS i hate that shit

5. Apr 7, 2010 at 3:49 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    SBurl Vermont
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    I vote option 3 especially if you think you will never ever use those tires/rims again.
    Selling them will offset the remount charge.
    You will not lose valuable storage space plus
    you get the advantage of using the system even though its a pita on occasions like this.

I only kept mine in the stockers for I use two sets of rims for winter & summer.

6. Apr 7, 2010 at 9:13 AM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Black,Sport package,
    Sport pedals, Extang full-tilt cover, Magnaflow exhaust system, XPEL invisible paint protection, TRD short Shifter, Hood struts, Homelink mirror, Dbl power outlets,Kuhmo 275x55x20, Platinum #220 Abyss wheels 20x9.5. Muth heated signal mirrors TSB. Lo-Tek Pilllar pod with Glow-Shift gauges, 4x4 illuminated switch, Pioneer Z110BT (upgraded to Z130BT) w/2011 toyota tailgate backup camera,traffic tuner, parking brake bypass. Leather interior w/heated seats. LED's installed in glove box, center console, front and rear cupholders, rear console vent, AFE CAI, LED taillights, under hood lights, LED bed lights, oil catch can, extra D-rings installed in bed, frame replaced, Bilstein 5100, fronts set at.85, FOCAL Auditor 6.5" componet speakers. Replaced lower center dash panel with 2011 dash panel, installed USB charger and relocated seat heater switches to lower panel.
    Same here.Mine are in the stockers for the winter and no sensors in the summer tires. I don't even notice the yellow warning light anymore. There is enough other stuff going on, green indicator for headlights, red indicator for seat belt.

To Top