1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TPMS Options for Multiple Wheel Sets (I.e., Winter/Summer, Street/Off-Road, etc.)

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Hot Taco, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Dec 9, 2019 at 4:59 PM
    G.T.

G.T. Official TW Burrito Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pyrite Mica 4WD DCLB TRDSport w/ FlipPac
    Some stick on chrome from pep boys
    Same sensors, just need their IDs and to program them in.

2. Dec 9, 2019 at 5:29 PM
    SmileyGuy

SmileyGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrin
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    20 Tacoma Off Road Voodoo Blue DC SB TRD Premium CAN
    Love my new Autel TS508 scanned all 8 sensors for the Mitsubishi Eclipse and the 8 sensors I have for the Toyota Tacoma OR. Great tool for checking the tire pressure without using an actual gauge as the sensors give a pressure value with one decimal. Saves you from having to remove a pump to check the pressure if no gauge on your pump. It also confirms the battery status, temperature and ID.

3. Dec 9, 2019 at 5:39 PM
    SmileyGuy

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrin
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    TS508 Screen Shots

20191204_191655.jpg 20191204_191946.jpg

4. Dec 10, 2019 at 4:54 AM
    ubugarrity

ubugarrity Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT
    Thanks. I confirmed the IDs are programmed in but still getting TPMS indicator light. Does it matter what tire location they are programmed in?

5. Dec 10, 2019 at 7:03 AM
    SmileyGuy

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrin
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    If location is important you may try swapping directional tires on either side to guess the stored location and match tire location but doing this with non directional tires gives many possibilities to try. So lets say that location is not important as others have reported that the TPMS light goes out when they park in the garage where the other tire set is stored. If all tires were at the same PSI it should not matter the location but if one or more sensors are defective it may or may not affect operation and should be addressed if someone knows.

Make sure your other set of tires are at the proper pressures and your spare. You could move all the other tires to the vehicle and switch between sets with your ATEQ QuickSet reset tool to see if the TPMS light go out.

With the Autel TS805 you can trigger the tire pressure sensor to report the status of the sensor. Possible fault conditions are dead sensor not reporting data, high or low pressure below reference value and possibly low battery (not sure if this is a fault). On some vehicles the spare tire may have a sensor and it can be in multiple states also. After scanning a set of sensors you can connect to the vehicle with the OBD2 cable and analyse the data stored in the TPMS module to determine if the correct sensors are stored and if they are in the correct location. The relearn process is stored in the TS-508 for all brands of vehicles it is compatible with. Following the relearn procedure allows you to program the TPMS module with the sensors ID you just scanned. TPMS is a safety system some choose to ignore.

TPMS Diagnose.jpg

ubugarrity likes this.
  6. Dec 11, 2019 at 8:31 PM
    offthewallace

offthewallace Member

Member:
    Langley
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR AC
  7. Dec 12, 2019 at 4:17 AM
    SmileyGuy

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrin
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  8. Dec 12, 2019 at 6:13 AM
    SmileyGuy

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrin
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    This is the Quick Mode menu display
    20191212_100909.jpg

This is the Advanced Mode menu display
    20191212_101013.jpg

offthewallace likes this.
  9. Dec 12, 2019 at 5:53 PM
    SmileyGuy

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrin
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
  10. Jan 8, 2020 at 1:44 PM
    SmileyGuy

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrin
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    I agree that having a cloned set would be the easiest solution. You would need your sensors read and buy programmable sensors. Good for vehicles that only have a bare TPMS error light vs having multiple tire pressures displayed in the dash. To be completely accurate you need to program the sensor location after a swap out or tire rotation.

Edit: Just to be clear I haven't connected to the OBD2 port, only scanned my sensors and logged the hex ID numbers. Still have new stock tires in original positions.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  11. Jan 18, 2020 at 10:33 AM
    RocTaco

RocTaco Free stun!

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Green Mtns
    Vehicle:
    03' Reg. Cab 4x4 5MT
    I actually just picked up the TS501, I was going to get the ATEQ QuikSet but I'm glad I saw this thread. With the 501 I can scan the sensors and see pressure and temp, which is really nice because my truck doesn't have the in dash pressure readout.

The 501 is also compatible with many more vehicles than the ATEQ, so I can help out family and friends too. Looking forward to the easy swapping between summer and winter tires.

12. Feb 11, 2020 at 3:33 PM
    Dilly

Dilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    LOUISIANA
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM SR
    Shortly I'll be replacing my steelies on the SR. Found a good deal on some take offs even includes the tps's which are no use to tacoma owners but can be sold to purchase this https://www.amazon.com/Tymate-Wirel...or+system&qid=1581463114&sprefix=tpms+&sr=8-5
    A simple piece of black electrical tape over the light and bam. Light is no longer troublesome and I have all 4 psi's visible at real time all the time. Alarm sound to let me know temp/psi warnings ect. Tbh this is more info than I had from the beginning considering a SR doesnt even display individual tire pressure lol

13. Apr 5, 2020 at 3:48 PM
    No Shoes Nation

No Shoes Nation Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Taco SR5 Access Cab 4.0 4x4
    Hmm . . . none as yet, that's why i'm here . . .
    OK, I read all of this, now i'm more confused than ever. As I am getting new tires and putting on 17 inch 4runner wheels, I know I can use my steelie sensors rotated 180 degrees. What would I gain by getting new programmable sensors?
    Thanks.

14. Apr 5, 2020 at 10:09 PM
    SmileyGuy

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrin
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    Having 2 sets of TPMS sensors with the same ID's means you won't have to reprogram when changing tire sets. Be aware that the locations may not match when changing sets or doing a tire rotation. Some vehicles show 4 tire pressures in the dash and others only have a TPMS error light.

TPMS sensors normally come programmed with a unique ID. You can buy programmable sensors, scan your current sensors and clone the ID's. Then you don't need a tool to do the relearn procedure.

Programmable sensors cost more and are specific to the TPMS tool brand. If you have the tool to read TPMS and relearn the ID's to the ECU you don't need programmable TPMS sensors.

15. May 14, 2021 at 2:42 PM
    Frogger10231985

Frogger10231985 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Washington, Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tacoma SR5
    Anyone have a extra set of tpms I wanna get a second set and leave original wheels for winter

16. May 14, 2021 at 7:28 PM
    SmileyGuy

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrin
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    Search for these 315MHz PMV-C015 TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR TPMS For Toyota Tacoma

17. May 28, 2021 at 2:12 AM
    PhotoDan

PhotoDan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off-Road DCSB 4x4
    ORA Front Bumper ORA Rock Sliders ORA Tire Carrier Bilstein 5100s front and rear OME 888 Deaver AAL SPC UCA 35" Ridge Grapplers
    Thank you for this! I'm going to run 2 sets of wheels/tires, so this info is very helpful.

18. May 28, 2021 at 4:41 AM
    SmileyGuy

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrin
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    Last fall I installed my new 17" wheels with KO2's and tpms sensors. I was able to use my Autel TS508 to scan the new set of tpms sensors and relearn the ID's to the ecu. During the scan procedure you start with the front drivers wheel and go clockwise to the other 3 wheels. I also had to trigger the spare location to continue the procedure to write ID's to the ecu. The spare location is not applicable to the Tacoma even if you had a tpms in the spare wheel. You trigger the spare location and abort the trigger or let it time out to continue to the next step for the relearning process. Connect to the OBD port, turn on vehicle and continue to write ID's to complete relearning.

Having the Autel TS508 has been very useful. I had a slow leak on one of my new wheels. Having the tool to quickly confirm the tire pressures without removing air or the caps is convenient. I later found my valve stem was leaking and needed tighting. My other vehicle front driver side wheel had a slow leak of 5 psi in a week. Enough to turn on the tpms sensor light on a cold morning. Using the TS508 you can match all your tires to a tenth of a psi. Scanning the tpms sensors after a couple of days showed my slow leaking tire. Had the winter tire remounted and all was well. This vehicle only has a tpms light vs the Tacoma's display of each tire pressure. Overall I recommend the Autel TS508 and l enjoy using it.

19. Jul 8, 2021 at 8:07 PM
    eurowner

eurowner Duke Sky

Member:
    First Name:
    Scoty
    The Syncro Ranch, Salida ColoRADo
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRDOR DCLB FTMFWBBQ Silver Sky Met
    Bilstein 8112+650lb coils, 8100+Deaver Stage II leaf pack, SPC UCA, DuroBumps, Mobtown 0* sliders W/fill plates, Mobtown Recovery Bar, Radium PVC & CCV Dual Oil Separator Catch Can System, Snugtop Hiliner Sport, ATH bed Stiffeners (cuz bottle openers!) and front corner tie down, Badger plates for Firestone airbag + Relentless U-bolt flip + Daystar cradles, TRD Pro shift knob, TRD Exhaust, HPS Silicone intake tube, Green Filter, TRD Intake Air Accelerator, 265-70-17 Toyo Open Country ATIII on TRD 17"Rockwarrior Cold Forged wheels, TRD alloy front skid, RCI Aluminum transmission & transfer case skids. Much Meso awesomeness, FreshMexicanTaco TacoGarage Camera Controller + DDM, WarFab Sheridan hitch skid, Rago LCA steel skids + lower rear shock guards, ScanGauge II, FN Koning Countersteer 16" spare, OEM T4R 90105-14104 coilover lower mounting eye bolts
    No.
    I have bought two sets of wheels that were on 2rd Gen trucks and those sensors will not work in the 3rd Gen.

20. Jul 17, 2021 at 10:26 AM
    Mazddie66

Mazddie66 Member

Member:
    Can I just transfer my current oem tpms sensors to new wheels with tpms compatible valve stems?

Products Discussed in

To Top