1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TPMS Options for Multiple Wheel Sets (I.e., Winter/Summer, Street/Off-Road, etc.)

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Hot Taco, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Jan 27, 2022 at 1:33 PM
    eurowner

eurowner Duke Sky

Member:
    First Name:
    Scoty
    The Syncro Ranch, Salida ColoRADo
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRDOR DCLB FTMFWBBQ Silver Sky Met
    Bilstein 8112+650lb coils, 8100+Deaver Stage II leaf pack, SPC UCA, DuroBumps, Mobtown 0* sliders W/fill plates, Mobtown Recovery Bar, Radium PVC & CCV Dual Oil Separator Catch Can System, Snugtop Hiliner Sport, ATH bed Stiffeners (cuz bottle openers!) and front corner tie down, Badger plates for Firestone airbag + Relentless U-bolt flip + Daystar cradles, TRD Pro shift knob, TRD Exhaust, HPS Silicone intake tube, Green Filter, TRD Intake Air Accelerator, 265-70-17 Toyo Open Country ATIII on TRD 17"Rockwarrior Cold Forged wheels, TRD alloy front skid, RCI Aluminum transmission & transfer case skids. Much Meso awesomeness, FreshMexicanTaco TacoGarage Camera Controller + DDM, WarFab Sheridan hitch skid, Rago LCA steel skids + lower rear shock guards, ScanGauge II, FN Koning Countersteer 16" spare, OEM T4R 90105-14104 coilover lower mounting eye bolts
    The OEM sensors are one piece. The sensors are attached to the stems and not removable.
    Metal stems unbolt from the wheel and can be swapped to another wheel.
    Many aftermarket sensors are able to change stems. https://www.maxitpms.com/tpmscms/product2/695.jhtml

2. Jan 27, 2022 at 1:36 PM
    jjbeenken

jjbeenken Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2022 DC TRD Sport(always under construction)
    Hertz - Arc Audio - Precision Power - Image Dynamics - Helix -AP UCA's - Dakar Springs - Icon Vehicle Dynamics
    99% of the rubber valve stems bolt to the tpms sensor. Have you had a 2022 in your hand? Do you have a pic?
    The one in your link detaches also. And I said 99%, I've honestly have yet to see one that doesn't come off.

3. Jan 27, 2022 at 1:48 PM
    jjbeenken

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Hertz - Arc Audio - Precision Power - Image Dynamics - Helix -AP UCA's - Dakar Springs - Icon Vehicle Dynamics
    I've seen these two suggested and both have a removeable valve stem. But they are different. Just looking for someone that has has a 22 Sport swapped to another wheel.

639927410.jpg
    T17R-TOYOTA-TACOMA-2.jpg

4. Jan 27, 2022 at 2:14 PM
    eurowner

eurowner Duke Sky

Member:
    First Name:
    Scoty
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 8112+650lb coils, 8100+Deaver Stage II leaf pack, SPC UCA, DuroBumps, Mobtown 0* sliders W/fill plates, Mobtown Recovery Bar, Radium PVC & CCV Dual Oil Separator Catch Can System, Snugtop Hiliner Sport, ATH bed Stiffeners (cuz bottle openers!) and front corner tie down, Badger plates for Firestone airbag + Relentless U-bolt flip + Daystar cradles, TRD Pro shift knob, TRD Exhaust, HPS Silicone intake tube, Green Filter, TRD Intake Air Accelerator, 265-70-17 Toyo Open Country ATIII on TRD 17"Rockwarrior Cold Forged wheels, TRD alloy front skid, RCI Aluminum transmission & transfer case skids. Much Meso awesomeness, FreshMexicanTaco TacoGarage Camera Controller + DDM, WarFab Sheridan hitch skid, Rago LCA steel skids + lower rear shock guards, ScanGauge II, FN Koning Countersteer 16" spare, OEM T4R 90105-14104 coilover lower mounting eye bolts
  5. Jan 27, 2022 at 2:27 PM
    jjbeenken

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, those are not rubber valve stems. Thanks for the help though.

6. Jan 27, 2022 at 2:34 PM
    eurowner

eurowner Duke Sky

Member:
    First Name:
    Scoty
    Vehicle:
    :drunk:

7. Jan 31, 2022 at 5:38 PM
    mwb

mwb Well-Known Member

Member:
    I just swapped wheels on my 2022. Went from steel to alloy and needed new sensors. When I went to get the sensors programmed to my '22 truck the shop initially had a problem getting them working.

They read the sensors with the handheld tool and it read the sensors just fine. Matched the numbers I had written down from the sensors. But they wouldn't upload to the ECU via the handheld tool.

Luckily one of the techs had run into a similar issue and said to use their laptop program to upload them to the ECU. It worked.

So for some reason they couldn't update my '22 via the tool...but the laptop software uploaded.

8. Jan 31, 2022 at 5:40 PM
    Montana_Actual

Montana_Actual ;)

Member:
    Nice. They had no clue at the Discount near me. They did give me a refund though. Still, pain in the ass.

9. Mar 31, 2022 at 3:28 PM
    davered00ss

davered00ss Well-Known Member

Member:
    Coundnt find the answer reading through this. I just got some TRP pro rims with KO2’s, not TPMS. Took the truck to town fair tire and they installed their sensors. They are not reading on the truck. They said you have to drive like 100 miles before they register? Are they feeding me a line of shit? Can the dealer fix this? Not sure what sensors they use

10. Mar 31, 2022 at 5:32 PM
    eurowner

eurowner Duke Sky

Member:
    First Name:
    Scoty
    Vehicle:
    TRD wheels?
    Do the original wheels on your truck have TMPS Sensors?
    What brand is "their" sensors?
    No. They will not if they are not programmed into the PCM/ECU.
    What year is your Tacoma?

11. Apr 1, 2022 at 5:02 AM
    davered00ss

davered00ss Well-Known Member

Member:
    OEM 4Runner TRD Pro rims BFG KO2's 265/70/17 They do rub

The sensors were working this morning when I started the truck
    Taco is a 19

Now time to decide on what lift to do

12. Apr 1, 2022 at 7:14 AM
    eurowner

eurowner Duke Sky

Member:
    First Name:
    Scoty
    Vehicle:
    :thumbsup:

13. Apr 11, 2022 at 5:23 PM
    Frez1812

Frez1812 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma 4.0
    2012 Tacoma

Whats a good replacement tire pressure for my truck that won’t break the bank? My Sensor light has been on for sometime , I’m assuming it’s one of the sensors. I’m replacing the tires shortly and would love for that light to come off.

14. Apr 11, 2022 at 6:13 PM
    eurowner

eurowner Duke Sky

Member:
    First Name:
    Scoty
    Vehicle:
    I prefer Autel. Remember that you get what you pay for.
    What does your favorite local tire shop sell?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
  15. Apr 20, 2022 at 8:05 AM
    BKrup

BKrup Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Sport / 17 Tacoma Pro
  16. May 3, 2022 at 10:48 AM
    Puckbag34

Puckbag34 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Just purchased some M&S tires for summer use for my 2021. Local Discount tire was able to clone sensors to the "four slots" I currently had. Was very specific in what I was asking them to do, but they were able to clone to the existing ones, no problem thus far. They were also nice enough to mark the tires that came off by corner, so my recent rotation will remain in place come next fall. Just running the four muds in summer, still using one of the AT's as the spare. 5 tire rotation on the AT's, 4 muds in summer...

17. May 15, 2022 at 7:42 PM
    Budsdad

Budsdad Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB Sport AT
    Posting this because it might help somebody with a 2022. My son had a 2019 Sport. When it was new he installed 4runner TRD Pro wheels is PTR2035110BK. We used Autel MX rubber stem sensors and had them cloned to the original sensor IDs. He recently purchased a new 2022 Sport. When he sold the 2019 he kept the PTR2035110BK wheels for the new truck. The local dealer said the sensors were different between the 2019 and 2022 Sports. When we checked with Autel they didn’t have information for 2022s TPMS sensors. We figured we didn’t have anything to lose by writing the original cloned 2019 sensor IDs into the 2022 system. We used Carista IOS app and a generic WiFi OBDII adaptor. The system functions fine and reads the pressures on the dash. We have to do the reset because we didn’t know which position the sensors were in. It took a few miles for the pressures to read on the dash, we drove it for 10 miles after the reset.

18. Nov 9, 2023 at 3:53 PM
    mattyshum

mattyshum Well-Known Member

Member:
    Once you have programmed a new set of sensors, do you need the programmer tool any more? If they are programmed with the correct IDs, I would think at that point I could just switch between both sets of tires and the truck would not know the difference right? I can see how if you rotate the tires the truck might take a bit of time to figure out where each one was again, but that should not require any input from me.

19. Nov 9, 2023 at 4:01 PM
    Budsdad

Budsdad Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB Sport AT
    You shouldn’t need it again. We only had they programmed once and are on the second truck with them. Hope this helps.

20. Nov 9, 2023 at 4:32 PM
    mattyshum

mattyshum Well-Known Member

Member:
    So then could I just buy a set of sensors and take my new wheels, tires, and sensors into Discount Tires and have them put the tires on and program the sensors and then I will be done with it? I can just swap my two sets each season without worrying about anything else? I guess I don't understand why people are buying the programming tool, unless Discount Tires is unable to program them correctly. Or do they charge a massive amount of money for it and the tool is cheaper? I figured since I needed the tires put on anyway I may as well have them install the sensors too, but I have not inquired about the cost.

Products Discussed in

To Top