1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TPMS Problem

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ironman_jon, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Nov 1, 2010 at 1:14 AM
    ironman_jon

ironman_jon [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner Sport
    URD TCAI Wicked Flow 18" 2 10in alpine type r 1500 watt amp MB 72 matte black Custom Bumper Debadged Glassworks fenders McNeil bedsides Helix TB Spacer Intake Manifold Spacer Custom Roof Rack 5x 55w HID SK2 projectors 55w DDM 5k Bulbs Camburg Long Travel Fox Coilovers
    I recently got rims and tires on the tacoma and the tpms light keeps popping up. I took the truck back down to discount and they checked everything and the tires were fine so they went to check the spare and couldnt get a reading from it so they dropped it and they said there was no tpms installed on that tire. Has anyone ever had this issue?

2. Nov 1, 2010 at 1:23 AM
    jhodge83

jhodge83 Any dog under 50# is a cat and cats are useless... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Moncks Corner, SC
    Vehicle:
    09 Timberland Mica DC 4WD Sport
    wat?
    there is no TPMS in the spare on the 09+ tacos. i would check the pressures in all 4 tires to where you like them, then hit the TPMS reset button to take the new pressure IF it's different than the stock pressures. if the sensors are not within the stock tolerences for the pressures they were set to, it will go off.

PS-nice powdered toast man avatar:thumbsup:

3. Nov 1, 2010 at 1:38 AM
    ironman_jon

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner Sport
    URD TCAI Wicked Flow 18" 2 10in alpine type r 1500 watt amp MB 72 matte black Custom Bumper Debadged Glassworks fenders McNeil bedsides Helix TB Spacer Intake Manifold Spacer Custom Roof Rack 5x 55w HID SK2 projectors 55w DDM 5k Bulbs Camburg Long Travel Fox Coilovers
    where is the tpms reset button ive never noticed it or maybe ive just overlooked it

4. Nov 1, 2010 at 1:40 AM
    jhodge83

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Moncks Corner, SC
    Vehicle:
    wat?
    it's a small button below the steering wheel (close to where your left knee would be). make sure though that the main 4 tires are at the pressures you want, b/c that button will make the sensors read for whatever is in them.

5. Nov 1, 2010 at 1:48 AM
    ironman_jon

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner Sport
    is the time duration that the button needs to be pressed thanks for the info

6. Nov 1, 2010 at 1:58 AM
    jhodge83

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Moncks Corner, SC
    Vehicle:
    wat?
    here's the info from the manual....

After adjusting tire pressures, or after tires have been rotated or
    replaced, turn the ignition switch to “ON” and press and hold the
    “ SET” button until indicator blinks three times. Let the vehicle sit for a
    few minutes to allow initialization to complete.

Refer to the load label on the door jamb or the Owner’s Manual for tire
    inflation specifications.

If the tire pressure indicator flashes for more than 60 seconds and then
    remains on, take the vehicle to your local Toyota dealer.

7. Nov 1, 2010 at 2:03 AM
    ironman_jon

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner Sport
    once again you rock problem fixed thanks

8. Nov 1, 2010 at 2:05 AM
    jhodge83

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Moncks Corner, SC
    Vehicle:
    wat?
    hope that it works. let us know!

9. Nov 1, 2010 at 3:05 AM
    ironman_jon

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner Sport
    Yup as far as i can see its working fine took the truck for a quick spin and no light so why is it toyota didnt put a tpms in the spare thats kinda retarded IMO

10. Nov 1, 2010 at 3:08 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    It's cheaper and almost everyone hates the system anyways...

11. Nov 1, 2010 at 3:15 AM
    ironman_jon

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner Sport
    The system never really bothered me until now what a pain in the butt its been but it did let me know i when i got a nail in the tire to lazy to go get it taken out so it stayed there until i got the new tires

12. Nov 1, 2010 at 3:27 AM
    jhodge83

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Moncks Corner, SC
    Vehicle:
    wat?
    they had them in the spare until 09, then they stopped.

13. Nov 1, 2010 at 3:35 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah...It let me know that I had a tire losing air on the interstate- Turned out to be a sheet rock knife blade in the tire and losing a LOT of air. I was glad I had it that day...

14. Nov 1, 2010 at 5:52 PM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    Actually it was pain on my 2007 with spare tpms.

15. Mar 8, 2011 at 1:07 PM
    coolreed

coolreed Well-Known Member

Member:
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Off Road
    20's, Chrome Grill,Handles,Mirrors. Sat Radio, Dynomax Exhaust K&N Air Filter, Bilstein 5100's, Cross Drilled Slotted Rotors
    Wow! I have been having alot of grief over the TPMS. I had new tires installed on my Taco and the tire pressures are different than the originals. I did not know there was a reset button. I will give that a try and see what happens and then update my results.
    Thanks

16. Mar 9, 2011 at 6:57 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Btw, if you want the TPMS to be a bit more sensitive, i.e., the stock function as I understand it is to set the TPMS alert when the pressure drops 25% below the stored setting. So if you're running 32 lbs normally, and that is where the TPMS is set, the alert won't happen until it drops to 24lbs. To me this is too low before an alert. I'd like to know if it's less than 30, but would settle for 28.

To get the tpms alert setting set higher, add more air before pushing the tpms reset button. If you run 32lbs and want it going off at 30 lbs, air up to 40lbs, push the tpms rest, then air down to 32. This assumes that the 25% is correct and resaonably accurate. You might need to adjust the high pressure tpms reset point depending on the %age and accuracy of the sensor.

And for those of your off-road air down people, this would probably be more annoying than it's worth.

17. Mar 9, 2011 at 7:10 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '13 Ford F-150 SCREW
    F-150 Mod
    Wow, I didn't know the pressure had to drop that much before the light comes on! One of the Toyota techs told me it was more along the lines of 10% (3-4 psi drop). I'm more inclined to believe the 25% since my light never comes on in the winter/summer due to the pressure swings due to temperature. Good idea! :thumbsup:

18. Mar 9, 2011 at 7:26 AM
    coolreed

coolreed Well-Known Member

Member:
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Off Road
    20's, Chrome Grill,Handles,Mirrors. Sat Radio, Dynomax Exhaust K&N Air Filter, Bilstein 5100's, Cross Drilled Slotted Rotors
    This Forum is Awesome. :)

Resetting the TPMS worked! Viola!

You need to hold down the button for about 2 seconds. You know,..the button kind of under the dash, near the steering column, close to your left knee. The TPMS light will blink and then re-calculate to the pressure you currently have. Just make sure the pressures are all equal and where you want them before doing this.

Thanks again all you Taco Types, :)

19. Mar 9, 2011 at 8:14 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T Quite an experience to live in fear , isn't it ?

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    The manual is your friend

20. Mar 9, 2011 at 8:37 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Stock, mine didn't come on at those levels either, which got me to thinking about how to make it work better for me. The 25% I can't find a definite reference to now, but it seems to make sense, as I would think that the computer would monitor a differential pressure drop (%age), rather than an absolute (8 lbs less than baseline). I've aired up, reset the tpms, then aired down, but only up to 36 lbs. I will experiment with this further sometime though. For now I've seen reference to 12.5%, 20%, and absolute difference (X lbs less than baseline).

To Top