1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TPMS question

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by ARKTaco, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Nov 3, 2010 at 7:35 PM
    ARKTaco

ARKTaco [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    little rock ar
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC off-road pre-runner
    I will be upgrading my tires and wheels soon and was wondering what most guys do about the tpms? Do you purchase new ones or remove them from the stock wheel? Is there a way to just deactivate the sensors or if you buy new ones where do you buy them? thanks

2. Nov 3, 2010 at 8:14 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Hi Welcome to the forum :wave:
    Not sure if you have stock alloys or stock steel rims...
    The stock alloy sensors move over to most aftermarket rims without issue. The tire installer can handle that.
    The steel rims use a different angled sensor (40 vs 20 or visa versa i cannot remember),
    its been said tire installers can turn them 180 degrees or others use a band kit inside the rim.
    Either way, the sensors that came with your truck have ids on them which are programmed into your truck's tpms ecu. It only holds 5 codes at a time.
    If you choose to buy new sensors, those codes need to get programmed into the ecu to work. $$ or you can buy a tool from tire rack and do it yourself $
    Others fool the system by taking their sensors, putting them in a wheelbarrow tire or pipe bomb and pressured it up.
    Other use a penny's worth of black tape and cover the idiot light blinking on the dash.
    Some take out the bulb.
    There are other mods too.

sooooo whew....there is a lot of info covered here and if you search tpms you will get a ton of threads...outlining just what I typed.

3. Nov 4, 2010 at 6:38 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Welcome to TW. Judy covered what you need to know...just wanted to add that if the new rims you get were made more than a few years ago (for example I bought BBS's from 2004 on craigslist), they were not designed to accommodate TPMS and the tire shop may have difficulty fitting them. Discount tire had to use TPMS straps to fit mine. I've had no issues with them though.

4. Nov 4, 2010 at 7:04 AM
    NetMonkey

NetMonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010, 4x4, DC, off-road, shortbed, automatic
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    yup. the stock tpms sensors worked on my moto metal rims.

Products Discussed in

To Top