1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TPMS question

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Wayner275, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Jan 1, 2010 at 8:00 PM
    Wayner275

Wayner275 [OP] Member Me

Member:
    Regina, Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    Step bars, Weathertech mats, Sirius sat., Fold-a-Cover G4 Elite, Pop-n-Lock (ditched the PopnLock and went with the Dyno Lock, RedLine hood struts, Cloud-rider Grill insert,
    I have a 2009 dc with 17" rims and the TPMS system. I want to run another set of rims with some ice tires for the winter. However, I do not want to get another set of TPMS for the new tire/rim set-up. What will my TPMS system do when it doesn't detect anything? Will some warning lights come on or alarms? What is the best way to deal with this?

thanks from freezing cold -40 F Saskatchewan

2. Jan 1, 2010 at 8:04 PM
    misterquad

misterquad Well-Known Member

Member:
    The light comes on and that is it.

You can open the dash and put a piece of black tape over the light bulb underneath the black background. The tape is invisible and you don't have to look at the light.

3. Jan 1, 2010 at 8:08 PM
    Wayner275

Wayner275 [OP] Member Me

Member:
    Regina, Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    Step bars, Weathertech mats, Sirius sat., Fold-a-Cover G4 Elite, Pop-n-Lock (ditched the PopnLock and went with the Dyno Lock, RedLine hood struts, Cloud-rider Grill insert,
    Thanks... I was just concerned that I would have to deal with some audible alarm.

4. Jan 1, 2010 at 8:08 PM
    misterquad

misterquad Well-Known Member

Member:
    Just an annoying light.

5. Jan 1, 2010 at 8:12 PM
    dlthunder

dlthunder Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    Sold my Taco
    TRD Skid Plate Rear Seat 11inch DVD Toyota Bed Mat Pace Edwards Full Metal Jackrabbit Nerf Bars Tailgate Electric Dynolock D-ring Bedbolts
    I do exactly what you want to do and because I park in my garage next to the removed tires with the TPMS in them I rarely even get the light. That said it is just a light and based on where it is located and the size of the airbag in the stearing wheel I barely even see the light when on.

6. Jan 3, 2010 at 3:54 PM
    rchamil

rchamil New Member

Member:
    Augusta, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    White SR5 4x4 SB
    Billet Grill insert, Westin Bull Bar, OEM running boards, Fold-a-cover tonneau, Valley hitch, LED brake and 3rd brake lights, LED map, dome and license plate lights, Partially de-badged, K&N CAI, Magnaflow catback dual exhaust, HID headlights and fog lights, Hood struts, Chrome Door and Lift gate handles, Rough Country 3" lift, 14" Black billet antenna.
    I broke down my spare and put all four tpms sensors in the spare tire. As long as I keep at least 30psi in the spare the light stays out. I've only had to add air to the spare once when it got really cold here about a week ago. After I added air to the spare the light went out and stayed out. I'm too anal to put a piece of tape on the dash cluster. Hope this helps. Give it a try.

Craig

7. Jan 3, 2010 at 4:53 PM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    And what if you need the spare? Is it drivable meaning the sensors are tied down?

8. Jan 4, 2010 at 1:59 AM
    rchamil

rchamil New Member

Member:
    Augusta, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    White SR5 4x4 SB
    Billet Grill insert, Westin Bull Bar, OEM running boards, Fold-a-cover tonneau, Valley hitch, LED brake and 3rd brake lights, LED map, dome and license plate lights, Partially de-badged, K&N CAI, Magnaflow catback dual exhaust, HID headlights and fog lights, Hood struts, Chrome Door and Lift gate handles, Rough Country 3" lift, 14" Black billet antenna.
    The sensors are not tied down they are just inside the spare. The spare has a sensor also. My theory was if I needed to use the spare it would only be to get me to the shop to get the tire I replaced it with fixed. I am 52 years old and have never needed to use my spare. The sensors would last that long without damage to them, I would hope. That wasn't as big an issue to me as looking at that light every time I drove the truck.

9. Jan 4, 2010 at 5:36 PM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    Don't bank on it. Kind of costly if you break them. Might as well put them in the dryer.
    I'm 56 and have only needed the spare 3 or 4 times in my 40 years driving but each time I did it wasn't right next to a tire store.
    When you do have to use the spare please record the sound for us.:eek:

10. Feb 18, 2010 at 5:23 PM
    chevy62

chevy62 New Member

Member:
    Montréal
    Vehicle:
    2wdr 4cyl
    i i didnt put tpsm in my winther wheels i reset the systeme and the light when off i guess that the spare tire is enough for the computer.

11. Feb 21, 2010 at 6:17 PM
    lowzone

lowzone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Earth aka NJ
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM AC 2.7L 5 spd SR5
    future plan of 2" drop and any type of rim thats not a steelie. grille and BHLM mods, maybe....
    on the Xrunner forum, ive seen people make a PVC "pill" that holds the TMPS sensors and fills it with air (valve or fitting) and puts it under the seat or storage compartment. it keeps the 30psi needed but can be described as looking like a PVC pipe bomb. wrap the sensors in bubble wrap so they dont bounce around inside the 3 or 4" PVC piece.

12. Feb 22, 2010 at 5:41 AM
    bb609

bb609 O.F.

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Bilstein 5100 CO's @ 1.75" - Icon UCA's - TSB Rear w/Bilstein 5100's - Air Lift System - Flowmaster 50 Duals(RIP...back to stock for now) - Avid Offroad Arctic Bar - Avid Offroad Nerf Bars - Leer 550 Bedcover - AVS Hood Protector(RIP) - Ventshades - Yota Bed Mat - Sheepskins!!! - Weathertechs
To Top