1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TPMS sensor questions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by CRU, Jun 26, 2023.

1. Jun 26, 2023 at 10:58 AM
    CRU

CRU [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seminole Cnty, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 SSM TuRD Sport DCLB
    20" Enkei WT4 wrapped in Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3 265/50, Steel braided brake lines, Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS deck w/JBL GTO cones, OEM Smoked headlights, OEM LED tails, Clazzio seat covers, aFe Pro-Dry S air filter, Fumoto oil valve, Grillcraft MX grille w/Land Cruiser "TOYOTA" emblem, Redline QuickLIFT hood struts, Leather TRD shift knob, 13" shorty antenna
    I have a 2007 sport. The batteries in the TPMS sensors died about 3 years ago. I'm finally getting new tires put on this week so now is a good time to replace the sensors. The thing is I removed my spare tire last year. It's the wrong size rim, the rubber is rotting, it's dead weight, blah blah blah. It won't be going back on the truck.

Are all 5 sensors necessary to turn off the dash light? Can just four TPMS be programmed or does the fifth one have to be present?

HondaGM likes this.
  2. Jun 26, 2023 at 11:02 AM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    did it have a TPMS sensor in the spare?if so you'll need all 5

Rob MacRuger likes this.
  3. Jun 26, 2023 at 11:10 AM
    Dm93

Dm93 Test Don't Guess

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC OR 6spd 4x4
    Predator tube steps, Ranch Hand grill guard, Magnaflow CatBack exhaust, Toyota tool box & bed mat, 2LO Module by @Up2NoGood, Rearview Compass/Temp Mirror, Tune by @JustDSM.
    I think only 4 are required on trucks that had 5 but you have to set the sensor 5 ID to all 0s. I could be wrong on this though.

4. Jun 26, 2023 at 12:00 PM
    CRU

Member:
    Seminole Cnty, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 SSM TuRD Sport DCLB
    20" Enkei WT4 wrapped in Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3 265/50, Steel braided brake lines, Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS deck w/JBL GTO cones, OEM Smoked headlights, OEM LED tails, Clazzio seat covers, aFe Pro-Dry S air filter, Fumoto oil valve, Grillcraft MX grille w/Land Cruiser "TOYOTA" emblem, Redline QuickLIFT hood struts, Leather TRD shift knob, 13" shorty antenna
    Yep. It has one in the spare. I called a local Toyota service dept. The service writer I spoke to "thinks" they can modify the TPMS to only look for four sensors. His uncertainty was not very confidence inspiring.

HondaGM[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Jun 26, 2023 at 12:14 PM
    salazam

salazam Active Member

Member:
    TPMS sensors are for women.

7mMike and OffroadToy like this.
  6. Jun 26, 2023 at 1:20 PM
    Marshall R

Marshall R Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marshall
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD double cab
    none
    I used these in my 2007 2 years ago when I bought tires. No extra charge to install them at that time. Mine were still working but I knew they would die before I wore out another set of tires.

Amazon.com: MORESENSOR Signature Series 315MHz TPMS Tire Pressure Sensor 4-Pack | Preprogrammed for Select 270+ Japanese Brand Models | Replacement for 42607-33011 | Snap-in | NX-S008-SN-4 : Automotive

You'll need a 5th one for the spare on that model year.

Amazon.com: MORESENSOR Signature Series 315MHz TPMS Tire Pressure Sensor | Preprogrammed for Select 270+ Japanese Brand Models | Replacement for 42607-33011 | Snap-in | NX-S008-SN : Automotive

If your spare is 10 years old or older most tire stores won't touch it. I picked up a 4 year old used tire that still had enough tread for a spare. Cost me $30 for the tire and mounting.

BS.

TPMS sensors don't replace an air gauge, especially on older vehicles that don't give you a PSI readout and only alert the driver when tire pressure is low. What they do is alert the driver of a sudden tire deflation while you're driving. Twice I've had the warning light come on while running 70+ on an interstate. Both times I ran over debris that punched a large hole in tires. I had just enough time to get stopped before the tire was completely flat. The alternative was a tire coming apart at 70 mph.

I'll keep working sensors in my vehicles. It just ain't that hard nor expensive. Less than $100 every 7-10 years.

joeyv141 and 91859706 like this.
  7. Jun 26, 2023 at 1:38 PM

91859706 I like Toyota trucks.

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    2006 DCSB TRD OR
    You can also buy from https://www.tpmsdirect.com/Default.asp

I put these in my 06 which had the light on for five years. Bought 5 and put one in the spare with the best tire from the four I was replacing. No light and functional system.

8. Jun 26, 2023 at 1:48 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    I would get that in writing before they started.........

9. Jun 26, 2023 at 2:21 PM
    CRU

Member:
    Seminole Cnty, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 SSM TuRD Sport DCLB
    Too bad the same can't be said for you. Thank you for that insightful grunt. Now go back to your cave paintings. Adults are talking here.

Taco 422, BKinzey, shmn and 5 others like this.
  10. Jun 26, 2023 at 2:35 PM
    CRU

Member:
    Seminole Cnty, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 SSM TuRD Sport DCLB
    I don't care about the price or finding cheaper replacements. I'm concerned about being able to get the new ones programmed without the spare or having to lug it around otherwise the dash light would be on. If I can't avoid the light on without carrying the spare, I won't even bother with replacing them.

11. Jun 26, 2023 at 2:56 PM
    salazam

salazam Active Member

Member:
    If you run over debris at 70mph and don't pull over to check your car, you deserve a blowout.

Another option is to stop running over debris.

boston23 likes this.
  12. Jun 26, 2023 at 3:27 PM
    Dm93

Dm93 Test Don't Guess

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC OR 6spd 4x4
    Predator tube steps, Ranch Hand grill guard, Magnaflow CatBack exhaust, Toyota tool box & bed mat, 2LO Module by @Up2NoGood, Rearview Compass/Temp Mirror, Tune by @JustDSM.
    If you end up needing 5 sensors but don't want to carry a spare, I've seen some people put the sensor(s) in a short piece of pipe capped at both ends with a tire valve on it and inflate it to the rated PSI and carry it on the truck.

91859706 likes this.
  13. Jun 26, 2023 at 6:15 PM
    CRU

Member:
    Seminole Cnty, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 SSM TuRD Sport DCLB
    I saw that post. That has potential. I'm going to pick up the Denso replacements from Rockauto and see what the tire shop can do. If they can't get them to work without the 5th sensor, I'll go the pipe route. Thanks.

14. Jun 27, 2023 at 5:29 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    If you want to see if the spare tire sensor is required for your system. Drop your spare, leave it at home, and go for a drive. If you don't get a warning light, IMO it's not required for the system to function properly.

15. Jun 27, 2023 at 7:04 AM
    mikkydee

mikkydee My Taco 2007 DCLB 4x4 Man Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Doyle
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2007 Silver DCLB Tacoma, 4X4, 4.0 Liter, 6" lift, 20" rims, 34" tires
    6" lift, 20 " inch rims, 34" tires, billet grill, aftermarket fender flares, custom rear bumper, DVd player with backup camera, all LED lights
    I have been curious about this thread because I have a similar issue. When I bought the truck it had a stock spare but 22" rims with 33" tires. I had new tires put on a few months ago and gave the installer all new TPMS to put on (including one for the spare) while installing the tires. When I went to pick the truck up they told me they couldn't install the one in the spare because the tire was too old and their policy wouldn't let them do so. So I went to all the expense of purchasing and installing all-new TPMS for nothing. Sensor still shows error. I was curious what others have done who have upgraded their wheels but not their spare to work around this? Spare is too small to use anyway if I have a flat with my big tires on the truck.
    I wouldn't mind getting a larger rim and installing a similar size tire (I kept one of my old tires I just replaced) on it as the rest of the truck but not sure where I could get a cheap 22" rim and even then if the wheel and tire would fit where the spare is normally stored.
    Any ideas from the forum here would be appreciated. :mudding:

16. Jun 27, 2023 at 11:49 AM
    CRU

Member:
    Seminole Cnty, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 SSM TuRD Sport DCLB
    If my old sensors were still functional, then that would work. One or more of them has died and the dash light has been on for years now.

Rocketball[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Jun 29, 2023 at 2:18 PM
    CRU

Member:
    Seminole Cnty, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 SSM TuRD Sport DCLB
    Got the tires installed today. But before going in, I stopped by a Toyota dealer and spoke with two service writers. They confirmed there is no way to reprogram the truck to only look for four sensors. So without the spare, it's a no-go. I had the shop leave the old tpms sensors in there.

GarlicFarts likes this.
  18. Jul 4, 2023 at 6:20 AM
    davep2012

davep2012 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver Tacoma
    Weather Tech floor mats and Marathon Seat Covers
    --You bring up a valid point as to preventing a bad situation when the light pops on.

--I have to share this funny sorry. I was an automotive service advisor at one point in my life. The worst work day was the first fall day here in Denver when the temps would drop overnight. That also meant that atmospheric pressure dropped which in turn would lower tire pressure and cause TPMS lights to come on right and left in cars with marginal tire pressures to begin with. The phones would ring off the hook with people calling to inquire as to why their TPMS light would be on and then subsequently stop by the dealership to have us put air in their tires because they didn't know how to. Now I feel like we were performing a public service. :hattip:

GarlicFarts likes this.
  19. Jul 4, 2023 at 6:27 AM
    GarlicFarts

GarlicFarts Bang Ding Ow

Member:
    Lil Rhody
    Vehicle:
    2020 White DCSB TRD OR
    SOS bolt-on sliders In-cab sleeping platform J-Dub IFS Skid
    I have an autel and when it asks for the fifth/spare i just hang it off into space and hit enter and it does its magic (probably all zeros or a dead beef code).

I'm surprised the second gen has a spare tpms and the turd gen doesn't. Oh well. Just have them zap a wheel again, i would have to try it but all it does it drop the RFID into it, you could just zap one of the four wheels again. You'd have two monitors on one wheel but oh well. But not sure if there's data validation that you can't use the same RFID twice.

Re usefulness - i have the pressure readouts and have that up when I'm in forest roads, if i pick up a shale "friend" and start to lose pressure, i can see that before the road starts to feel like a flat tire.

20. Jul 4, 2023 at 7:06 AM
    3JOH22A

3JOH22A Toyota Gigolo

Member:
    District 6ix
    Vehicle:
    3G Tacoma on 35"s, 5G 4Runner
    Why would you leave dead sensors in the wheels vs. new rubber valve stems?

Why do you drive without a spare?

To Top