1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

track day with the gopro

Discussion in 'Tacoma Videos' started by Detective_Dan, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Oct 20, 2012 at 5:27 PM
    Detective_Dan

Detective_Dan [OP] Bam-Ba-Lam

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 - Black Betty
    Pelfreybilt plate bumper, OME 886/Dakars, oil catch can, aero turbine 2525, rear differential breather extension, bedmat, weathertech digital fit front/rear, BHLM, fog lights anytime
  2. Oct 20, 2012 at 5:53 PM
    Detective_Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 - Black Betty
    Pelfreybilt plate bumper, OME 886/Dakars, oil catch can, aero turbine 2525, rear differential breather extension, bedmat, weathertech digital fit front/rear, BHLM, fog lights anytime
    more videos to be uploaded shortly when my "cameraman" gets to my house lol

3. Oct 21, 2012 at 7:48 AM
    Sproulesxrunner

Sproulesxrunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Xrunner
    Too much for TW to know
    Not to put you down or anything but your tire warm up was dismal at best. I don't think you can complain about track conditions after spinning one tire in warm up for 3 seconds. You are going to need a real LSD and better tires/warm up to get a decent launch.

4. Oct 21, 2012 at 11:06 AM
    Detective_Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 - Black Betty
    and you also dont want to spin street tires. spinning street tires to much heats them and releases oils that actually make you lose traction. on street tires, all you want to do is clean off dirt and small pebbles that are stuck to the tires.

granted i probably should have spun just a second or two longer, it wouldnt have made barely any difference

5. Oct 21, 2012 at 11:26 AM
    Detective_Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 - Black Betty
    taken from google:

Street Tires

Very simple.... Drive around the waterbox so you don't get water on your front or rear tires. If you do go through the waterbox, then all you're going to do is spray it all up in your wheelwells, and drip it ALLLLL the way down the track, making it slippery (and dangerous) for you and the nex 20 ppl to go after you.

Spin the tires enough to get the gravel/dust/debris from the pits and staging lanes off them. There's ABSOLUTELY no point it smoking them. Street tires are designed to withstand heat, and not get hot. The only thing you're going to accomplish by doing this is to take several thousand miles of usage off in a matter of seconds, and also you're going to harden your tires quicker.

Slicks/Drag Radials

Unless you're running skinnies in the front, you should still go AROUND the waterbox. Do this for the same reasons as street tires.. You don't want to get water in the tread of your front tires and eventually sling it down the track, laying a line of water to counteract your slicks all the way down the track.

Back the rear tires into the waterbox and spin them over once. There's no reason to do your burnout IN the waterbox, so just get them wet and roll out about 3 feet. THEN you can light them up. If you have a line lock, mash the brakes, flip the switch, let off the brakes and let 'em rip.

If you don't have a line lock, then you can dump the clutch (if you have one) and get the tires spinning. Then step on the brake with your left foot just enough to stop the car from rolling. Remember that the harder you step on the brake, the harder the REAR brakes (as well as the front) will try to stop the tires from spinning, so try to stay on the thin line where the front brakes are barely holding the car still.

Most true slicks are sticky once they start smoking, but the hotter, the better! If it's the VERY first time on new slicks, then you will want to spin them for a good 10-15 seconds to burn off any silicon that's still on the outer surfaces.

Drag Radials vary quite a bit on how they react to burnouts. BFG's seem to get hot to a point and won't get any stickier. Nittos on the other hand seem to take longer to get hot, and they can get REALLY sticky once they are hot.

Some notes to remember while your doing your burnout:

Sometimes the car will start to shift to one side. Basic driving skills teach us to turn in the direction of the slide, but while doing a burnout, this doesn't work and will only shift the car further to the side. Instead, steer the other direction, and the steering rack will actually pull the car back around and straight. Remember that this only works if the front wheels are NOT moving. Once they are moving, you want to keep the front wheels pointed straight down the track at all times.

Some people like to shift into higher gears while doing a burnout. This can result in a faster spinning tire and heating it up faster. It's also alot harder on the clutch to do this. Not saying that you shouldn't do it, but just be aware that it can and has cause MANY clutches to spin from getting too hot.

6. Oct 21, 2012 at 3:08 PM
    Sproulesxrunner

Sproulesxrunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Xrunner
    Too much for TW to know
    My bad. I thought you were running drag radials. Now I can see why you are running a tiny burn out haha. You should still look into getting a locker for the X if you are looking to lower the ETs.

7. Oct 21, 2012 at 4:05 PM
    Detective_Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 - Black Betty
    Oh yea, absolutely. I'm gonna do a Detroit trutrac or possibly an os gieken(however the F you spell it lol)

8. Oct 25, 2012 at 7:50 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Roseville, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 F-350 Powerstroke
    If you shake it more than three times, you're playing with it :). LoL. Nice vid

9. Nov 16, 2012 at 11:14 AM
    kickergt

kickergt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    Fresno Ca
    00 Tacoma TRD 4x4 329WHP 390Wtq Turbo sucka
    What was your ET?

10. Nov 20, 2012 at 11:16 AM
    disc0monkey

disc0monkey All right. I believe ya. But my Tommy Gun don't!

Member:
    dude forget google and heat them. with street tires you spin them til you first see smoke in the mirror at least. plus a little spin off the line is a good thing.

definately go around the water box, back into just the tip of the water box roll forward a foot and spin them there. keep the spin going to the line, the key is not to over heat them.

for reference, i get my stock appearing LS1 WS6 6spd low 12s at 115mph on street tires, when i had my old stock appearing except long tubes '71 goat 12.89 on streets as well. (i know it's not anything real fast, just trying to tell ya what works for me up here with these cold nights)

in the ws6 if i followed that google quote i would have to lift even on my 2-3 shift.

cool video btw, jelly of the supercharger whine!

To Top