1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Track Dayz

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by jblaze805, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Dec 17, 2014 at 8:46 AM
    Sacrifice

Sacrifice Motorcycle Goon

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    KS
    Vehicle:
    DCSB OR 4X4 LT
    Pelfreybilt Front Bumper,BAMF sliders, Airflow Snorkel,Mini D2S Retrofits, ADS Rear Shocks, Deaver U402 Leafsprings, 35s, AllPro +2LT
    Track riding does take the fun out of street riding thats for sure

2. Dec 17, 2014 at 9:58 AM
    jblaze805

jblaze805 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ventura/Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 trd pre-runner
    2.5" king coilovers, caburg uca, magnaflow exhaust, aem intake
    Thanks for the info Blodhound. Itll definitely help a lot with choosing a new bike which I am constantly keeping my eye out for. Not anytime soon but in due time. Maybe the new R1 lolz :rolleyes: jk

3. Dec 17, 2014 at 12:14 PM
    loki750

loki750 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Springfield MO
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma baja tx
    Thanks blaze! you've got it good out where you're at, lots of tracks and a lot longer riding season than we have here in the midwest. My bikes in the garage torn apart right now and its about 30 degrees and cloudy outside.

bloodhound is spot on with that advice, if you plan on track or racing stick with a 06 or newer gsxr or a 08 or newer r6. Both have huge aftermarket support and easy to find cheap used parts for. A stock R6 does have the edge on track, stock gsxr's motor is a little more street friendly. Either is a great platform though. Key is lots of used parts and lots of aftermarket support for either.

4. Dec 17, 2014 at 12:21 PM
    Sacrifice

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    KS
    Vehicle:
    DCSB OR 4X4 LT
    Pelfreybilt Front Bumper,BAMF sliders, Airflow Snorkel,Mini D2S Retrofits, ADS Rear Shocks, Deaver U402 Leafsprings, 35s, AllPro +2LT
    Right, id love to have riding weather all year, but then id miss the snow too.

Guess i got the wrong bike :pout: 05 cbr 600rr.

Loki where you located at? Op?

5. Dec 17, 2014 at 1:49 PM
    Bloodhound

Bloodhound Banned from the Pics Thread

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    East Moline, IL
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD O/R DBL-CAB
    Floor-mats, Running Boards, Shorty Antenna, AFE Pro Dry Air Filter, AVS In-Channel VentVisors, Beer cans in the bed
    If you're looking for something already set-up I'd suggest checking here also: https://weraclassifieds.com/ad-category/motorcycles/

Not necessarily but, since Honda bowed out of factory level racing (...and that would be a LOOONG post as to why) they have been, IMHO, rare on the paddocks be it trackdays or racing. There is quite a bit more technical knowledge out there on the Yamaha's and Suzuki's and spare parts in the pits if/when needed. Honda built a good motorcycle but tended to be heavier and the chassis, as delivered, was better for street speeds...can they be fixed? Yes, then it turns into checkbook and credit card into a tuning device trying to get to the level of the other two... People say not to get competetive at a track day, but most riders find themselves chasing the guy in front of them and looking for a pass ;)

6. Dec 17, 2014 at 2:06 PM
    jblaze805

Member:
    Ventura/Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 trd pre-runner
    Thanks Loki, im definitely going to try and hit up as many trackdays as possible this yr. Well, at least as much as the wife allows. lolz. What sucks is she allowed me to buy my coworkers r6 but didnt mention the fact that hey you could have gotten a new one until AFTER i bought my 03 r6. :frusty:. Its ok though im kinda glad I strted out riding on a used bike vs. a new one. It helped me learn a lot, good times with the 03.

In CA central valley.

Thanks for the link ill have to check it out.

As for hondas i got a chance to ride my buddys 05, and damn i feel so big on it lolz. Compared to my 03 I feel it has more room, and the power just wasnt there. Just me though. I still love all bikes though.

7. Dec 17, 2014 at 2:09 PM
    Sacrifice

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    KS
    Vehicle:
    DCSB OR 4X4 LT
    I know if ever get hardcore into it itd make sense to switch. But i love my cbr and until i can outride it theres no reason to change, ya know. Which that will be a long time

8. Dec 17, 2014 at 2:14 PM
    loki750

Member:
    Springfield MO
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma baja tx
    Yup, Overland Park. Nothing wrong at all with CBR's. Truthfully all the big 4 bikes are great bikes. No one is really making any bad sport bikes I don't think. The only thing that makes a difference for me is how many are out at the track which relates to ease of getting spare parts. I've run gsxr's for years and have a bunch of spares and know how to work on them so it wouldn't make much sense to go with anything else at this point. I've got a few friends that run cbr's out and they go plenty fast. Check out Ron Mears at tornado bait racing, he's running cbr 600s and knows them really well. Great guy too, he controls rides out at hpt when he's not somewhere else racing.

Bloodhound what platform did you run? Sounds like you've been around a bit. All good advice.

9. Dec 17, 2014 at 2:15 PM
    jblaze805

Member:
    Ventura/Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 trd pre-runner
    I hear yah, even though my bikes an 03 Ive come to enjoy it sooooooo much. Itll be with me for a loooooong time or until my wife tells me to get rid of it lolz. Buuuuuuuut having two bikes could be nice too, one for track one for street lolz.

10. Dec 17, 2014 at 2:21 PM
    jblaze805

Member:
    Ventura/Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 trd pre-runner
    Sounds like yourself and bloodhound both have been in the bike scene for quite some time now. If I have any questions i'll deinitely be sure to ask you guys. Ive only been riding since June 14' and done track twice :eek:. But im ready for more, its quite addicting. :D

11. Dec 17, 2014 at 2:29 PM
    davidpick

davidpick NWXPDTN

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Leavenworth, WA
    Vehicle:
    1988 Pickup 22R 5sp 2wd
    Weber 32/36, RV Cam, LCE exhaust headers, Desmogged
    Gahh this thread is killing me! Sold my track bike ('06 GSXR 600 converted to 750) in March of this year to help make it through my probationary year as a firefighter without injury. Missed this whole season of riding and will miss next year's season as well. Hoping to get back on 2 wheels ASAP.

Here's some pics from before the sale:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Dec 17, 2014 at 3:37 PM
    Sacrifice

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    KS
    Vehicle:
    DCSB OR 4X4 LT
    Ron is actually the guy who convinced me to head out there and has loaned me gear to use at the track. The day i went he started me out in novice but suggested i move up to intermediate (im still the slow one, but im not getting slowed down by anyone at least). I met him on 600rr.net, great guy!

If hes around im usually in his paddock if im there. i know last time he told me to keep up with him, i couldnt do it! Ha. That was with him on his old fz6!

13. Dec 17, 2014 at 4:16 PM
    jblaze805

Member:
    Ventura/Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 trd pre-runner
    Nice! I wish I could drag knee already. You guys have any tips on getting low?

14. Dec 17, 2014 at 4:31 PM
    Sacrifice

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    KS
    Vehicle:
    DCSB OR 4X4 LT
    Getting low is the last thing to worry about when starting, it just comes with the speed/skill. Otherwise youre going to focus on that instead of the corner

15. Dec 17, 2014 at 6:35 PM
    jblaze805

Member:
    Ventura/Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 trd pre-runner
    Right on good to know. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7zfzZ_GBxCg&feature=youtu.be heres a link of a video of me at buttonwillow. My first time at track buddy recording me. Any pointers would be cool. I was super nervous and just trying not to get off track lolz. Dont mind the asians lolz jk my buddies and father in law.

16. Dec 17, 2014 at 6:49 PM
    Nielsen23

Nielsen23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma Double Cab 4X4
    I just started track days in May of 2014. I'm 21 now and I've been riding on 2 wheels since I was old enough to walk.
    I have to say that riding at the track has taught me so much and had taken all of the fun out of riding on the street. I made it to 10 track days last year, needless to say I'm addicted. I sold my street bike and picked up a 2007 CBR 600RR that's only for the track. I made it up to intermediate in our organization. The three classes are novice, intermediate, and advanced.
    The only track that I've been to is Grattan Raceway, not sure if anyone has heard of it, being that it's in Michigan. Its a very technical track and I ride with STT which is Sport Bike Track Time and they are an amazing organization, they make you feel like family.

532244.jpg

17. Dec 17, 2014 at 7:06 PM
    loki750

Member:
    Springfield MO
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma baja tx
    Don't worry about the knee, work on learning consistent braking points, turn in, apex and exit lines. The speed will come but consistency in cornering is the biggest thing when you're just getting started. I'd work on getting up on the balls of your feet, especially the inside foot, looks like if your not already you're gonna be dragging your inside toe. What I tried to work on my first few track days was looking through the corners and down the track, not right in front of you, and for cornering, butt, brake, body. Move your butt over on the seat, then brake, then tip into the corner leading with your shoulder, head should end up around where your mirror is. Lots of good videos online, watch some of jason pridmore's videos on youtube, I've been to a couple of his schools and I like his teaching style. Just take it at your own speed until you feel comfortable with pushing your braking points a little further. Hope this helps a little.

Oh and talk to the control riders. All the orgs i've ridden with have always had good control riders that will help you out a ton. Get them to show you lines and then work on brake, entry, apex and exit consistency

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  18. Dec 17, 2014 at 7:27 PM
    Sacrifice

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    KS
    Vehicle:
    DCSB OR 4X4 LT
    Dont worry about it, im just as new to it as you are. But i also had a good teacher/some ideas already understood. I went off track once my first day, didnt dump it though. Trying to pass a 1k in a straight and i didnt force the bike into the turn like i should have so i went off instead. I really hope i can get back out there this year.

Good tips! These are definitely huge to follow and will be the main tips you hear.

19. Dec 17, 2014 at 7:35 PM
    jblaze805

Member:
    Ventura/Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 trd pre-runner
    Nice man keep it up, and welcome to the trackdayz thread.

Thanks Sac, and thanks Loki ill have to agree with Sac. Very good tips ill have to check out them youtubes videos. And yes i notice my toes sticking out lolz i dont know why i was riding like that.

20. Dec 17, 2014 at 7:38 PM
    Sacrifice

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    KS
    Vehicle:
    DCSB OR 4X4 LT
    Anyone have any tips on making an old set of plastics a track set/quick change? I have my old rashed up ones that i wouldnt mind switching out but id hate to screw up my good looking ones (i know dumb, but i also dd it all summer and hate looking at rash)

Products Discussed in

To Top