1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Traction bar options?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by WOODEX M.E., Oct 13, 2013.

1. Apr 6, 2014 at 7:17 PM
    novanut21

novanut21 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat-back, TRD S/C, TRD Quickshifter, URD Fuel Pump Kit, Wet Okoles Front&Rear, WeatherTech Mats, Sockmonkey Decals, Satoshi grille, JBA "shorty" headers, URD Y-Pipe, TTC Oil Catch Can, Lotek Dual Apillar gauge pod w/ Autometer Phantom II AFR & Vac/Boost, URD Pulley, HID Retrofit.
    Post up pics if you can. What u bolt flip kit did u use?

2. Apr 6, 2014 at 7:51 PM
    WOODEX M.E.

WOODEX M.E. [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD OR Pyrite Mica
    TRD Supercharger, Speedhut TRD Boost Gauge, Speedhut TRD AFR Gauge, PLX Wideband Controller W/Bosch O2 Sensor, Cravenspeed Boost Pod, AFE Pro Dri II Si Intake, Calvert Racing Caltrac Traction Bars. URD Catback Exhaust, URD 2.825" Super Grip Pulley, URD Spec-U Equal Length Headers, URD 255lph Fuel Pump, OEM FPR Mod.
    No u-bolt flip kit. All my stuff is stock.

IMAG0142.jpg
    IMAG0143.jpg

hresendiz25 and Biscuits like this.
  3. Apr 7, 2014 at 9:01 AM
    novanut21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat-back, TRD S/C, TRD Quickshifter, URD Fuel Pump Kit, Wet Okoles Front&Rear, WeatherTech Mats, Sockmonkey Decals, Satoshi grille, JBA "shorty" headers, URD Y-Pipe, TTC Oil Catch Can, Lotek Dual Apillar gauge pod w/ Autometer Phantom II AFR & Vac/Boost, URD Pulley, HID Retrofit.
    Nice! I've been looking at these as well to help eliminate axle wrap. Do you notice any extra noise from the heim joints?

4. Apr 7, 2014 at 9:57 AM
    WOODEX M.E.

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    TRD Supercharger, Speedhut TRD Boost Gauge, Speedhut TRD AFR Gauge, PLX Wideband Controller W/Bosch O2 Sensor, Cravenspeed Boost Pod, AFE Pro Dri II Si Intake, Calvert Racing Caltrac Traction Bars. URD Catback Exhaust, URD 2.825" Super Grip Pulley, URD Spec-U Equal Length Headers, URD 255lph Fuel Pump, OEM FPR Mod.
    No noise what so ever (that I have noticed). Ride is slightly stiffer, but when you hit a potholed road you don't get that annoying bouncing in the back anymore its just firm thuds. I have only had them on for two days, but I am already very pleased at how it has changed the character of the vehicle.

5. Apr 30, 2014 at 1:45 AM
    novanut21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    Awesome! I was hoping your truck was also a 6spd to see if it helped smooth out the shifting alittle. So now that its been a few weeks you still satisfied with them? I may just go ahead and buy a set and see what happens if I cant find someone with a set on a 6spd.

6. Apr 30, 2014 at 4:58 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Looking at the pictures in this quote, it looks like you had to notch your front spring perch also. Is that true?

One day, I plan to get those link bars made out of Chromoly instead of mild steel. But I think there may be other things going onto the truck at the same time. ;)

If you have a Go Pro, you should suction it to the gas tank, looking at the axle. Then do a few pulls so people can see the difference of with them. I already have a video of how badly the axle wraps, which I can post, as a " Before".

Biscuits likes this.
  7. May 2, 2014 at 4:51 AM
    WOODEX M.E.

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I did cut out a tiny bit and bend out a small bit, basically I gave the bracket about an inch of space to move. The stock bracket was hitting it when I took the truck off the lift. Also I don't have a Go Pro :(

8. May 2, 2014 at 4:58 AM
    WOODEX M.E.

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    I like them still. Things seems to have settled out a bit now (especially after the snow tires were taken off) and I still feel a little vibrations when accelerating, but its only from like 0-5mph which is much better than the 0-25 it had before. (I think it did it before I just couldnt tell cause of the snow tires and their vibrations.) Also it rides a little firmer in the rear. Not awful, but noticeable. More like I put a stiffer leaf pack in. Good news is I get good firm hookups when mashing on the gas, and when I do spin its nice and smooth.

As for transmission, im an auto, but I would be willing to bet these will change the way your vehicle feels when shifting. Everything will feel more solid and linked. If I were you I would try it, can't put a price on increased performance :)

9. Dec 29, 2015 at 11:14 AM
    mpm

mpm Well-Known Member

Member:

Did you ever purchase this trac bar? If so, what are your opinions on it?

hresendiz25 likes this.
  10. Dec 29, 2015 at 3:10 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Yes I did but never installed it. @SMKYTXN had one installed and it sheared the studs off the axle housing IIRC. Save your money.

11. Dec 30, 2015 at 6:01 AM
    mpm

mpm Well-Known Member

Member:

Oh awesome. Thanks for the heads up. I guess the quest continues to find a decent pre-fabbed trac bar.

12. Dec 30, 2015 at 9:56 AM
    WOODEX M.E.

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    Caltracs are your best choice.

13. Dec 31, 2015 at 6:16 AM
    mpm

mpm Well-Known Member

Member:
    For off-roading? From the company's website, these appear to be better equipped for on-road vehicles.

14. Dec 31, 2015 at 9:26 AM
    WOODEX M.E.

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    Oh, well if thats the case im not sure i would go with them. They are the best at being traction bars but they do hang a little lower than you might like. They are about 1-1/2" lower than the ubolt studs and they hang a couple inches below the front leaf mount. I have never had them catch on anything, but i dont do much off orading anymore.

You may be best just to fabricate something of your own similar to the ones that mount to the center diff, but create your own mounting points on the axle and housing rather than the diff cover bolts.

Biscuits and mpm[QUOTED] like this.
  15. Nov 23, 2016 at 8:38 AM
    Biscuits

Biscuits Thorny Crown of Entropy

Member:
    Swiggity swangin' biggity bangin'
    Why am I just now finding this thread?

BassAckwards likes this.
  16. Nov 23, 2016 at 9:48 AM
    WOODEX M.E.

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    Because small audience? But an update....after time the Caltracs loosen up and rattle on bumps when off throttle. No way to tighten it out other than to replace worn parts I think.

17. Nov 23, 2016 at 10:18 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    Biscuits likes this.
  18. Nov 23, 2016 at 12:06 PM
    Voodoo Rufus

Voodoo Rufus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Sport Indigo Ink DCSB 4WD
    Magnuson S/C, Relentless armor, Icon/Dakar suspension, Konig CountersteerX 17", KO2's, Hellwig rear swaybar, BudBuilt Trac Bar, Level 10 VBU, Weathertech floorliners, Cravenspeed antenna, Redline elite hood struts, RollnLock, Satoshi, CBI sliders
    I got the Budbuilt weld-on version sitting here to go with my supercharger install. I'll write up a review after it gets put on.

Didn't go Caltracs because I wasn't sure if it would work with a u-bolt flip.

19. Nov 23, 2016 at 1:56 PM
    WOODEX M.E.

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    I thought about doing this, but I think most my noise is actually coming from the two front plates wiggling side to side. I may try to put a bushing in there at some point, but I just haven't gotten around to it. I have some ptfe gasket and solid stock all over the place at my work. I may make something.

20. Nov 23, 2016 at 5:34 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Give it a try and report back. Might turn out really well.

Lord Helmet likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top