1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Traction control engaged on dry pavement

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas' started by OZ-T, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Mar 25, 2010 at 7:19 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T [OP] All of those moments....will be lost.....in time

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Crom , I agree VSC was what engaged , I was confused by the braking feeling and assumed it was the traction control , still it seems odd to me that it would occur after so many trips on the same road with the same tires etc , the only things different was the rotating of the tires and the re flash of the ecu for the tranny tsb , but as much as I have tried to make it happen today , purposely trying to break the truck loose mid corner , I have not been able to get it to happen again ,

Gremlins ,

OZ

2. Mar 25, 2010 at 10:55 PM
    Crom

Crom Time is precious; use it wisely

Member:
    First Name:
    Mr. Sir
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Double Cab 4x4 Off Road
    A.R.E. MX Shell & Yakima Rack, Stubbs HD-SKO Rock Sliders, JBA UCA's & OME 885 Coils and nitrochargers, Flat BajaRack, Kenwood VHF/UHF Radio, Aux Battery, Solar Panels, L-Track everywhere, Goodyear Duratracs, Four-Leaf pack, Secured tailgate, 7-pin relocation, Inverter 400W all time, In-cab 110v outlets, Rear-seat 12v outlets., Steering shaft TSB, anytime fogs, DTRL toggle switch, aux turn signals, Diff Breather, ImMrYo mirror bracket, ABS Kill switch, (2) Kid Car Seats, and a Glock 23 with night sights.
    OZ, your experience is most interesting.

I can share with you one of my own. I have experienced VSC intervention at speed and its effects were dramatic and unmistakable. Last November in Death Valley, I was traveling about 45 mph on a graded dirt road with loose rock and gravel (Racetrack road). Call me foolish, but I was listening to music and having a good time... I took a right turn too fast, my steering wheel and my direction of travel were not the same! My front wheels began to slide--Oh F!. Immediately, and simultaneously the truck's throttle was greatly reduced, the VSC buzzer sounded and as best I can tell the driver-side front wheel was braked hard and both back wheels were braked too.

Instead of flying off the dirt road, the truck remained in perfect control. I was sold instantly on the technology. It was amazing!

When I returned from my trip I began a process to better understand the technology. VSC really is a fantastic.

:)

3. Feb 27, 2011 at 5:44 AM
    GREENMACHINE

GREENMACHINE Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Calvin
    Newport, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2011 DOUBLE CAB 4X4 LONG BED SR5 SPORT
    Old Man Emu 3" lift/level kit w/ Dakar Leaf Springs, Husky floor mats, heavy duty horse stale mat cut to fit truck bed, goodyear All-Terrain wrangler, Maglite mod holder on driver seat, Magnaflow 18" muffler, mounted fire extinguisher, shovel, and ax in bed. Consel vault, grillcraft grill w/ relocation of horns, debadged, backup lights, Best Top Super Topper.
    With my BRAND NEW 2011, I was going through a right turn corner, not going that fast, but i was accelerating out of the corner. The dang thing beeped at me, I felt a vibration on the gas pedal, and felt like i lost control in the steering wheel. It freaked me out pretty good. And then later that week, I was going through about the same type of corner, and again was accelerating out of the turn and it happened again. This time the truck drifted into the oncoming lane of traffic. Thank God there wasn't any cars coming at me!

So what Im taking from everyone elses post, is that its the VSC and that I just need to keep driving the truck the same way so that it can "learn" how I drive...

4. Feb 27, 2011 at 7:59 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Marcos, Alta California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 2 Hella 4000 HID, 1 Kragen HID, 1 Cibie Halogen.
    X2
    I had a drift happen when I made a sharp turn at too fast a speed... and the VSC prevented oversteer and cept me in my own lane... it was amazing!

5. Feb 27, 2011 at 10:43 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Stop into your dealership and have them hook up the computer and check you skid control values . The values on my truck , for whatever reason , were not properly zeroed and this lead to my VSC engagement issues .

6. Feb 27, 2011 at 11:35 AM
    virgilus11

virgilus11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    kearny, nj
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5
    TRD supercharger,EMU 884 springs, 90000 shocks, air bags rear and TSB with EMU shocks, grillcraft mesh, Relentless front bumper,Armology rear bumper, byxenon hid's retro ,undercover lid with bike rack on top, Kenwood dnx9140,TRD cover seats
    I don't think there is anything to worry about it.
    Last year I went to a meet in Pa and while I was trying to catch up with the guys in the front ,, It happen. I drove too fast on a corner and when I turn the wheel to correct ,,, the rear inside tire lifted up and VSC kicked in. I was surprised and when I got home I start to get a little bit informed.
    The VSC is something very intelligent and worth every penny. In my eyes.
    Next week end I went on a deserted road with few tight turns, a road that I know very well.
    I choose a specific corner and drove thru at about 4o mph then 50 mph and nothing happen.
    The next time I drove with 40 mph, I took the turn a little bit wider and right in the middle of the turn I made a -more agresive correction to the right. This was intended to duplicate what happen to me first time.
    When I made the correction,,most of the weight of the truck switch to the outside front wheel.
    For a fraction of a second the rear, right side wheel was in the air as we all know,,, left with out traction,,, the wheel will speed up faster then the rest of the wheels.
    I duplicate exactly what happen to me the first time in Pa.
    After that I made two more runs and and try to confirm that this not a fluke.
    The same results each time
    If you go toooo fast in a corner and try to correct at the last time ??? The vsc will try to save your life by applying brake to the wheel that spins and (or) cutting the gas.
    In the old trucks,,, the rear of the truck would have snap out of trajectory and if you where good enough or lucky enough,, you would counter steer and live to see another day.
    With the new tech,, we get away with more mistakes.
    When about your VSC learning and adapting to you driving ???? Is a myth. Unless Toyota decide to install something as advanced as Ferrari's GTO traction control ??? your VSC will always perform as set by the manufacturer. Remember this is a safety device and Toyota lawyers would have a fit.
    I hope that makes it more clear to you.

7. Feb 27, 2011 at 11:37 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Just do this ^^^^

8. Feb 27, 2011 at 11:40 AM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM TRD OR 4wd Auto DCSB
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    But that is the proper way to do it. No one does that shit.

To Top