1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Traction control turned off but still kicking in

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by jake slatnick, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Feb 27, 2017 at 4:05 AM
    Timmystaco

Timmystaco Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Timmy
    Vehicle:
    Taco X Runner
    K&N air intake system
    HATE traction control!! Another reason to buy an older truck.

2. Feb 27, 2017 at 6:16 AM
    TacomaGinger

TacomaGinger Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA...for now
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road
    Snugtop Rebel, Bedrug, Grillcraft
    Because I obviously don't know exactly what this button does (or when to use it) I have new tires but they still spin when taking off in slick highway conditions. I thought maybe a click might help on my rainy commute

3. Feb 27, 2017 at 6:25 AM
    Timmystaco

Timmystaco Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Timmy
    Vehicle:
    Taco X Runner
    K&N air intake system
    How did we survive before traction control?

4. Feb 27, 2017 at 6:29 AM
    Herniator

Herniator Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
    chrome valve stems covers
    Its going to be standard on every vehicle made soon. If it isn't standard already. At least we can still steer our own vehicles. Not looking forward to when the majority of vehicles are self driven.

5. Feb 27, 2017 at 6:36 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2022 Off Road Premium 4Runner Lunar Rock
    I would suggest easing into the throttle more, at least that's what everyone tells me. I only shut off or change the traction controls when I intend on having fun.

TacomaGinger[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Feb 27, 2017 at 8:01 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    New what kind of tires? Something with a street friendly tread, or ones meant for off road?

If you turn off the controls (read your owner manual) things will be worse, not better.

Since we know the vehicle is not overpowered, and if we assume traction control is working properly, and we assume that the tires are in good order for the street, the only thing left is too much driver input for conditions.

If it's been a long time between rains, any asphalt will be very slick until all the oils, rubber, etc has been flushed off, which could take a while. Almost like driving on black ice for those who live in arid climes.

7. Feb 27, 2017 at 8:05 AM
    Spare Parts

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    never realized how bad this is till I started riding motorcycle.

8. Feb 27, 2017 at 9:04 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    The standard TRAC is going to work just fine 95% of the time in 2WD.
    If you don't have 4WD and ONE tire spins or you just don't move but you need to move, PRESS the button (quickly) for AUTO LSD [Traction control without engine throttle cut]. It is the ace in a hole for 2WD trucks without a locker.

Us 4WD trucks can (better) go to 4WD-High, if the rear tires spin.
    Now, in 4WD, I am a big fan of TRAC OFF MODE (the AUTO LSD in H4), as my truck (2010) does not have the quick push feature in H4, it is always in TRAC OFF in H4, just no light [that was changed in 2012]. I drive in sand a lot, and TRAC OFF allows my truck to do far more in sand without deflating. It also helps the truck climb much better when I compare it to VSC OFF MODE... which is open differentials/ no traction control.

Again, a reminder: TRAC OFF does not mean that TRAC is turned off... it means the engine output regulation (throttle control) is turned off... for more power to turn the traction tires.

9. Feb 27, 2017 at 9:15 AM
    jake slatnick

jake slatnick [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jake
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Cement TRD Pro
    285/75r16 KO2's, Baja XL 80's on CBI ditch brackets, TRD intake, opticoat pro, clear bra running the bottom sides, morimoto LEDs, all white LEDs inside, mounted shovel and axe above wheel well in the bed, linex'd the bed...
    Why would you buy an offloading vehicle and not off-road it?! Too many good questions :)

10. Feb 27, 2017 at 9:28 AM
    jake slatnick

jake slatnick [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jake
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Cement TRD Pro
    285/75r16 KO2's, Baja XL 80's on CBI ditch brackets, TRD intake, opticoat pro, clear bra running the bottom sides, morimoto LEDs, all white LEDs inside, mounted shovel and axe above wheel well in the bed, linex'd the bed...
    This is confusing.........

So to get this straight:

1. If you click it once it and it says TRAC OFF you're in limited slip with only the break cicking in. Could be useful for flying through tight trails in heavy bush or a tight mountain trail

2. Stop and hold for 3-5 seconds actually turns it all the way off. Could be useful for hauling through dry river washes, wider trails, and crawling situations?

Does the stop and hold work in 2WD also?
    Auto LSD is the same thing as TRAC OFF, correct?

Thanks man!

11. Feb 27, 2017 at 9:28 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    The settings improve or change the drivability. They give us more CHOICES. Just play with them to see how they work... that's what I did... and they make my 2010 Tacoma the best of the three I have owned.

Nickel likes this.
  12. Feb 27, 2017 at 9:33 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    #1 answer, yes... but not for flying... just anytime the tires slip.

#2 answer: Not useful at all to not have traction control. I find NO reason for VSC OFF, it makes the truck the same as my pre-2009 model Tacomas... Good, but not awesome, off road. VSC OFF (according to the manual) is to allow the tires to spin to clean out snow or mud from the tires!

Yes, it works in H2 and H4.

Yes, they are pretty much the same type of traction control.

13. Feb 27, 2017 at 9:43 AM
    PNW/TRD Steve

PNW/TRD Steve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD
    ImMrYo Rear view mirror lift bracket. Changed out mud flaps. Salex glove box organizer. OEM Ashtray (cup). AVS Step Shields. 16x8 SCS F5 Matte Jet Black. 265/75 16 Cooper St Maxx. OME Bp-51s. U.S. Offroad Winch Mount (in process) Smittybuilt x20 12k synthetic winch (in process) More....
    You need to think outside the confines of your vanilla box.:crazy: Some of us have the desire and skill for more spirited off road driving.

14. Feb 27, 2017 at 9:56 AM
    Jeff Lange

Jeff Lange Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '86 AE86, '05 NCP13, '11 GSE21
    I think the biggest confusion is from people not understanding specifically what different terms mean, and a bit with how the owner's manual describes the Auto LSD mode.

1. Traction Control: This means that if wheel slip is detected, the engine cuts power until wheel slip stops. This is not Auto LSD or VSC.
    2. Auto LSD: This means that the brakes are used in an attempt to limit wheel slip and increase torque to the wheel that has grip. This may also affect engine output as well. This is not strictly traction control or VSC, though the owner's manual describes it as using the "traction control system," which is kind of true.
    3. Vehicle Stability Control: This means that if the vehicle is sliding sideways, etc., it will cut engine power and/or apply the brakes in an attempt to stop what is causing the non-stable condition.

In some vehicles like the Tundra pressing the switch in various orders can provide different modes of operation. I haven't experimented with the 2016-17 Tacoma beyond what the owner's manual discusses.

In 2WD mode, pressing the TRAC/VSC OFF button once activates Auto LSD mode (turns off normal traction control and activates Auto LSD), VSC continues to operate. The truck will stay in this mode until driven above 30 mph (50 km/h).
    In 4WD mode, pressing the TRAC/VSC OFF button once turns off traction control and does not activate Auto LSD mode. VSC continues to operate.

Pressing and holding the TRAC/VSC OFF button for 3 seconds disables traction control and VSC. It does not activate Auto LSD mode and will continue to stay off even at higher speeds unless the button is pressed again.

Jeff

15. Feb 27, 2017 at 10:05 AM
    TacomaGinger

TacomaGinger Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA...for now
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road
    Snugtop Rebel, Bedrug, Grillcraft
    So these are basically for low speed applications, in a pinch, slow and off road stuff? I wouldnt use any of them at highway speeds unless I was towing then the VSC would kick in...

Clearwater Bill likes this.
  16. Feb 27, 2017 at 10:06 AM
    Spare Parts

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    i leave mine alone when driving normal, but when its snowing out or I am on gravel and want to have fun, ill stop and hold for 3-5 seconds, then yee haw

17. Feb 27, 2017 at 12:27 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    You might want to read posts 22 (his reply to the question) and post 26 (my suggestions after his answer), since you obviously didn't bother to read through the thread.

Hopefully you didn't get cross-eyed looking down your nose at my vanilla box. :p

PNW/TRD Steve[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Mar 1, 2017 at 1:45 PM
    PNW/TRD Steve

PNW/TRD Steve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD
    ImMrYo Rear view mirror lift bracket. Changed out mud flaps. Salex glove box organizer. OEM Ashtray (cup). AVS Step Shields. 16x8 SCS F5 Matte Jet Black. 265/75 16 Cooper St Maxx. OME Bp-51s. U.S. Offroad Winch Mount (in process) Smittybuilt x20 12k synthetic winch (in process) More....
    Alright, you bested me a little and I failed to provide useful information for the o.p. (one of my irritants). So I bested myself too.

O.P. There is a lot of useful advice here. In your situation, factory default will provide the best traction. Different tires might be the best solution.
    Good luck.

Products Discussed in

To Top