1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tradesman Truck Tops commercial style topper/shell

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Toynado, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Jul 26, 2018 at 10:26 AM
    tacomarin

tacomarin ig: @travelswithchubbs

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    Prinsu Cab and Top Rack VO Drifter LED Interior, License Plate, and Reverse Lights Huskyliner Weather Beater floor mats Salex Center Console Organizers 35% Front/15% Rear Tint Debadged and De-stickered Anytime Front and Rear Cameras Brute force front bumper BAMF HC Dual swing out 285/75r17 BFG KO2 Front: ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Rear: OME Dakar HD, ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Stainless steel brake lines (+4 in rear) Wheeler's Offroad Superbumps Front and Rear Wheeler's Offroad U-bolt flip ECGS CV Axle Bushing SCS Stealth 6 17x8.5 wheels, matte dark bronze
    Nice, that's the one we're looking at for the same reason. Seems like a pretty good set up. Not as slick as the Alucab or Eezi Awn ones but also less than half the price (especially if you have a hook up). Will probably order ours next week so I look forward to hearing how yours works out. Going to be an expensive week next week!

Toynado[OP] likes this.
  2. Jul 26, 2018 at 10:27 AM
    tacomarin

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    Prinsu Cab and Top Rack VO Drifter LED Interior, License Plate, and Reverse Lights Huskyliner Weather Beater floor mats Salex Center Console Organizers 35% Front/15% Rear Tint Debadged and De-stickered Anytime Front and Rear Cameras Brute force front bumper BAMF HC Dual swing out 285/75r17 BFG KO2 Front: ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Rear: OME Dakar HD, ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Stainless steel brake lines (+4 in rear) Wheeler's Offroad Superbumps Front and Rear Wheeler's Offroad U-bolt flip ECGS CV Axle Bushing SCS Stealth 6 17x8.5 wheels, matte dark bronze
    Yeah I imagine crating one of those up would be no small task! I know some folks have road tripped out for them instead.

Toynado[OP] likes this.
  3. Jul 26, 2018 at 11:40 AM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    Got half of my platform done for a trip to Owens Valley. The slides for the drawer utilize skateboard rails. It does have some issues but not enough for me to go back and redo it. Now I need to get the pax side platform done before school starts next month.

[​IMG]

4. Jul 26, 2018 at 12:53 PM
    tacomarin

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    Nice! How does the 1/2" ply feel?

ETAV8R[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Jul 26, 2018 at 1:32 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    Just the basics
    Not bad at all. I had my doubts until I fixed the bottom brace pieces. We'll see how sturdy the other side feels. It won't be a drawer so may have more give. I guess I could put small wooden cross braces fixed to the bottom of it but that would decrease storage below that side.

6. Jul 30, 2018 at 4:05 PM
    tacomarin

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    Did you get the Batwing?

7. Jul 30, 2018 at 4:55 PM
    Lambretta hauler

Lambretta hauler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2018 cement AC,OR.
    None yet!
    Not yet, I guess when you get a deal it ships on the slow boat!
    I did get the sliders painted and installed.it went very smooth,even with no help.

Toynado[OP] likes this.
  8. Jul 31, 2018 at 6:50 AM
    tacomarin

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    Sweet! Glad to hear that. Looking forward to hearing and seeing more!

9. Aug 1, 2018 at 8:37 AM
    tacomarin

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    I went over to Access MFG yesterday to get a couple more things put on. I had a shelf put in between the cabinet and front of the cap. Also had some covers built to hide some wires I ran for my interior lights. I also mentioned that closing the doors from inside of the cap is a bit of a challenge, especially for my wife, so they added on some D-rings to the doors and built a handy handle. Now I've got to come up with a better way to close the tailgate from inside. Anyone got any clever ideas?

IMG_3908.jpg IMG_3911.jpg

Also had a chance to talk with the owner who I hadn't meet before. He shared some interesting info about the hinges they use vs a LEER hinge.

Here is a LEER hinge
    IMG_3903.jpg IMG_3902.jpg

Here is a Tradesman Hinge
    IMG_3905.jpg IMG_3907.jpg

You can see an obvious difference in engineering thoughtfulness between the two, and can understand why LEER hinges just don't hold up. The Tradesman hinge is patented, and very well thought-out. There is no way for it to come separated when you open it up, and when it's fully open it's not just hanging on a small lip, the hinge is fully supported the whole length. I also learned that the Tradesman hinges aren't screwed into the body of the cap, they're sandwiched on between two plates. So there's no stress risers through the body of the cap to fail or leak.

I continue to be very impressed by this cap and by the company behind it. The fact that I can go there and have them add in a shelf, or any other customization I want is awesome.

10. Aug 1, 2018 at 8:49 AM
    s.e.charles

s.e.charles Well-Known Member

Member:
    tacomarin likes this.
  11. Aug 1, 2018 at 8:52 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    Just the basics
    Cool stuff on the shelf and D-rings. The D-rings look like the same ones I bought from Harbor fright for my drawer/platform. What I've been doing is just reaching out and grabbing one of the bars for the doors and pulling it in to close the door when inside the shell. That shelf on the divers side looks very useful. I'll be brainstorming how to replicate it. I've got left over wood from my project that I may repurpose for that.

12. Aug 1, 2018 at 9:40 PM
    Lambretta hauler

Lambretta hauler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2018 cement AC,OR.
    None yet!
    I added my shelf above the fold down slider.
    I almost want one on the DS as well.
    I’m almost ready to building my fold down cot and other pimping of the sleeping area.Im going to make screens to Velcro into the door opening and just some paracord pulls for the up haul of the TG and to pull the others down. But if it’s summer, all doors open and screened for cross flow.
    Sorry just dreaming of a nights sleep where it’s not 80 degrees!

Toynado[OP] likes this.
  13. Aug 1, 2018 at 10:26 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    Just the basics
    Have you slept in your truck with the shell yet? I found good ventilation with the small slider screens and leaving the back open. I used small office clips to keep a Nimbus mosquito net up on the back and it worked pretty good. Working on using a small expandable curtain rod to put the net on the inside and then clip to the corners and that way I could keep the side doors open if I wanted.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    Toynado[OP] likes this.
  14. Aug 2, 2018 at 7:48 AM
    tacomarin

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    I was doing the same thing to close the doors but it was always a little more challenging for my wife to do. The D-rings are definitely a simple but useful solution. I think an easy way to replicate the shelf would just be to get a few L-brackets and rivet or screw them into the frame of the top, then mount your shelf directly to that.

I think your shelf above the fold down slider is what inspired me to put a shelf on the DS. We thought about one in front of the fold down but we often lounge semi upright with our backs against the slider and didn't want to lose that to the shelf. This seemed like a good compromise. Thought about adding one to the PS as well but thought it might make things start feeling too small. Good idea on the paracord. I was also looking at the latch bolts and wondering if I could put some rivets through some webbing to make a strap and bolt them on there.

This past weekend we slept with all the doors open because it was 70-80 degrees at night. It felt great and fortunately there weren't any bugs out there. My mom has a couple decked out camper vans and has made her own bug nets and curtains for them so I'm going to spend a weekend with her this fall and sort something out. They used magnets to attache all their screens but obviously that won't work for the aluminum top. But velcro may be an option.

Glad you guys are digging pimping out your tops as much as me! It's really cool to build off each-other's ideas!

Toynado[OP] and ETAV8R[QUOTED] like this.
  15. Aug 3, 2018 at 8:22 AM
    tacomarin

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    Got a new low-profile vent cover. The big bulgy one always bothered me and I'm picking up a Prinsu rack for the top this weekend so I wanted to find something a little lower profile. I found this one on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0085IJBAY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Side by side with the old one
    IMG_3916.jpg

Installation is pretty straight forward. Remove the crank arm, inner housing, vent screws, and lift mechanism from the frame. Go to the outside to slide the cover off the hinge and mechanism, then reverse the order to install.

IMG_3931.jpg

Definitely much happier with the lower profile. The color is pretty ugly compared to the old one but this will be mostly concealed by the new rack so I don't think it will bother me in the long run.

Toynado[OP] and TacoHilux like this.
  16. Aug 12, 2018 at 10:00 AM
    Toynado

Toynado [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB Quicksand
    EXTERIOR: Toytec Boss 2.0 Dakar CS047R Leaf Springs Tailpipe chopped Pelfreybilt Front full hoop front bumper w/ Pelfrey fairlead Pelfreybilt Rear standard bumper Pelfreybilt Aluminum IFS, Mid, Rear (exhaust reroute) & Gas tank skids Pelfreybilt Fuseplate w/ 12 circuit fuse block All-Pro Apex Sliders ProComp 7036 17"x9" -6 offset BFG 275/70R/17 KO2's Warn VR10000-S winch Baja Designs S8 light bar & Squadron sports amber pods in front bumper Baja Designs S2 flush pods in rear bumper Baja Designs Squadron Pro amber pods on Caliraised ditch light brackets @rrentrop reflective black tailgate inserts RSI LED's for regular & high beams Prinsu Cabrac Custom Tradesman Truck Top by Access Manufacturing w/ Powertank 8"propane tank mount & Yakima tracks on the roof INTERIOR: Warrior Products door sill protectors Husky Weather Beater floor mats front & rear Coverking arid multicam seat covers in the front Midland 75-822 CB w/ 4' Firestick antenna on C4 Fabrication tailgate mount Consolevault Hondo Garage iPhone mount
    Great call on the shelf and I like the D-ring for closing but have been doing the same as @ETAV8R and just reaching out and grabbing the bar.

For the Norcal folks, headed to Bowman lake this weekend, leaving SF late 8/17 return Sunday. PM if you can join. Be great to get a few of us together. I’m so stoked that everyone is as happy with theirs as I am!

17. Aug 12, 2018 at 11:41 AM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    Just the basics
    I'm wondering if I could put a small harbor fright D-ring on the inside of my tailgate. I could just use some cord and pull it up closed. Not sure if it would hold and/or last though.

Toynado[OP] likes this.
  18. Aug 13, 2018 at 8:55 AM
    tacomarin

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    I just ordered up a Mobtown steel skin with the hardware upgrade: http://mobtownoffroad.com/product/tailgate-skin/. They're having a 20% off moving sale right now under the deals/coupons thread.

My plan is to put some grommets through some webbing and bolt it to the skin. One of the Mobtown ambassadors thought that just with the hardware upgrade I would be able to do that, but I figure the extra structure from the skin will help too.

Man I would love to go but really need this weekend at home. Falling way too far behind on home projects.

xsf18cdf likes this.
  19. Aug 13, 2018 at 10:10 AM
    TacoHilux

TacoHilux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma access cab 4x4
    That Bowman Lake is beautiful! I was up there a few months ago. Won't be able to make it this time, but thanks for the invite. Get some shots of the tradesman in action!

Toynado[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  20. Aug 13, 2018 at 10:17 AM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    Just the basics
    Ah Bowman. Good spots out there. Lake Faucherie was almost the end of me. Still beautiful country.

Toynado[OP] and TacoHilux like this.
To Top