1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tradesman Truck Tops commercial style topper/shell

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Toynado, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Dec 17, 2018 at 8:07 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    To be honest I dread having my brainwaves known to the extra terrestrials and thus the entire inside of my shell is lined with anti-brainwave scanning reflectex in order to prevent it from happening.

tacomarin likes this.
  2. Dec 19, 2018 at 3:13 PM
    Toyocoma

Toyocoma Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Tacoma TRD off-road
    157A2633-7C7A-4B56-AEF9-CFC2EADE170E.jpg

3. Dec 19, 2018 at 3:29 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    Just the basics
    This is mine. I think they left out some of the top mounting screws.

20180627_164047_capture(0).jpg

4. Dec 19, 2018 at 3:50 PM
    tacomarin

tacomarin ig: @travelswithchubbs

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    Prinsu Cab and Top Rack VO Drifter LED Interior, License Plate, and Reverse Lights Huskyliner Weather Beater floor mats Salex Center Console Organizers 35% Front/15% Rear Tint Debadged and De-stickered Anytime Front and Rear Cameras Brute force front bumper BAMF HC Dual swing out 285/75r17 BFG KO2 Front: ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Rear: OME Dakar HD, ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Stainless steel brake lines (+4 in rear) Wheeler's Offroad Superbumps Front and Rear Wheeler's Offroad U-bolt flip ECGS CV Axle Bushing SCS Stealth 6 17x8.5 wheels, matte dark bronze
    Mine is covered now, but I found an old pic that kind of shows it. If you zoom in it looks like there are more screws on top than yours.

Image-1.jpg

5. Dec 19, 2018 at 3:53 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    Just the basics
    Thank you. That's exactly what I needed to see. I'll throw some more screws in there.

6. Dec 23, 2018 at 10:32 AM
    BearWithMe

BearWithMe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Four Corners
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB OR Blazing Blue 6MT
    IMG_1447.jpg IMG_1443.jpg

Picked up the topper and took it out for some camping! Sleeping in the back is a little tight until I build a platform to get us above the wheel wells.

Build quality is very good. I lost about 2mpg from the increased wind resistance, so now I'm averaging about 20mpg on level ground on the highway.

7. Dec 23, 2018 at 4:05 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    Just the basics
    That blue really stands out against the background. Looks great. Is that Fossil Falls?
    Did you get a toolbox?

8. Dec 24, 2018 at 7:44 AM
    tacomarin

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    Prinsu Cab and Top Rack VO Drifter LED Interior, License Plate, and Reverse Lights Huskyliner Weather Beater floor mats Salex Center Console Organizers 35% Front/15% Rear Tint Debadged and De-stickered Anytime Front and Rear Cameras Brute force front bumper BAMF HC Dual swing out 285/75r17 BFG KO2 Front: ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Rear: OME Dakar HD, ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Stainless steel brake lines (+4 in rear) Wheeler's Offroad Superbumps Front and Rear Wheeler's Offroad U-bolt flip ECGS CV Axle Bushing SCS Stealth 6 17x8.5 wheels, matte dark bronze
    20 mpg?!!!! I have never seen anything better than 18 mpg ever in my truck. Even before the shell!

That color looks so good!!

9. Dec 24, 2018 at 10:10 AM
    BearWithMe

Member:
    Four Corners
    Vehicle:
    Yes, that is Fossil Falls. How'd you know? :)

No toolbox -- I'll post some interior pics soon. Got the reinforcement package and carpet, no insulation. Glad I ordered the carpet since it's tucked behind the structural crossmembers during construction. There's no way I could get the carpet looking that nice doing it myself.

Thanks! I love the color, too. It's almost identical to the World Rally Blue I had on my WRX. With the Taco, I was getting 16-18mpg around town and 16-22mpg on the highway (lower figure for mountainous terrain; the higher for level terrain) before I got the topper. We'll see how it does in town, now that I'm back home.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    Toynado[OP] likes this.
  10. Dec 24, 2018 at 1:36 PM
    dman100

dman100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB
    @BearWithMe what height is your new blue Tradesman?

11. Dec 24, 2018 at 2:33 PM
    BearWithMe

Member:
    Four Corners
    Vehicle:
    My topper was ordered as 26" high (as measured from the bedrails).

Here are some photos of the interior:

IMG_1476b.jpg IMG_1477b.jpg

Toynado[OP], Sna, ETAV8R and 3 others like this.
  12. Dec 29, 2018 at 3:38 PM
    Memagcab

Memagcab New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 2.7 pre-runner 5 speed access cab
    Does anybody have any experience with a tradesman cabover shell? I’m gonna get one like this, and would like to get some feedback!

24ECB6F6-9A14-44E9-85E2-352A88F49A31.jpg

13. Jan 26, 2019 at 6:43 PM
    townace

townace Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen 4WD 2.7L AC
    I have some questions maybe people that have been through the ordering process could answer.

I have read on multiple forums people claiming that aluminum contractor shells crack at the welds even just from mild forest service road driving, due to the flexing of the truck bed. Anyone care to weigh in on their experience? Maybe the tradesman is just better built than something like the ARE DCU contractor shell? Does Tradesman offer any warranty?

If you opt for them to insulate what do they use for insulation? I am inclined to use thinsulate and install it myself, having worked with it in the past.

What is the difference between Easy View, Pet Slider, and Tinted Radius Windows? Do any of them come with bug screens?

What is D-Gasket and what is Fin Gasket?

Paddle vs T-Handle latches, opinions?

I wish the website order form was better and included price itemization and explanations of the options. I am inclined to ask if I could just visit their actual location so I can talk and see about what I would be getting. Dropping multiple thousands on a camper shell is a big deal for me.

Thanks all

Sna likes this.
  14. Jan 28, 2019 at 9:42 AM
    lfranchi

lfranchi Member

Member:
    San Francisco, CA
    There's a "heavy duty" option that you can add when you order your shell. When I talked to Maria and asked her what that was about, she basically said that they put in some extra beams/reinforcements and more welds to make the overall shell stronger and stiffer. She recommended it for any trucks that would be going on washboard/forest service/etc type roads. Since that's something we do a lot, I opted for it. I've only had the shell for about 4-5 months, but have both taken it on some pretty gnarly forest roads and a lot of flat washboards. Nothing cracking in the shell as far as I can see. Given the number of beams and number of welds it looks pretty burly.

I didn't get the insulation (due to cost) and am planning on doing 1" thinsulate + reflectix, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

15. Jan 28, 2019 at 11:03 AM
    tacomarin

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    Yeah the extra reinforcement option adds some gussets in the corners for sure, and probably some other reinforcement as well. I forget the exact specs, but Tradesman also uses a thicker gauge sheet than what is used for typical contractor shells. I would definitely recommend bed stiffeners too though. Not sure if it's 100% necessary but I think anything to minimize flex of the shell is good.

I got the insulation, skin, and carpeting. Not sure what they use honestly but I think it's basically a 1" fiberglass insulation. FYI for reflectix to really work you need an air gap on both sides, not butted up against insulation or the inner or outer skins: https://www.vanholio.com/2017/12/reflectix-insulation-in-vans-done-right.html

Don't know the difference on the windows but the pet ones are the ones with screens.

The D-gasket, I believe, is the seal that runs the perimeter of the bed. The fin gasket, I believe, is the gasket between the front of the cap and the cab that overlaps the bed (see pic below). Not 100% on those but given the propensity that every other manufacturer's shell has for leaking I opted for all the gaskets!
    IMG_3067.jpg

I did the T-handles but honestly didn't even look at the paddles. I like that the T-handles are very much, positively latched, but also have the option to stay unlatched if you are going in and out of one of the doors. Not sure if the paddles have a similar mechanism or not.

Their website is pretty lacking but, in my experience, they are always happy to have people visit and will show you around.

16. Jan 28, 2019 at 2:03 PM
    townace

townace Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen 4WD 2.7L AC
    Thanks for the info guys, thats a big help.

Does a Tradesman come with a warranty or guarantee?

17. Jan 28, 2019 at 3:46 PM
    BearWithMe

Member:
    Four Corners
    Vehicle:
    The pet windows, I believe, are so named because they're too small for most dogs to get through. You can't rely on window screen mesh to contain a big dog if he really wants to get out! I had AccessMfg install two pet windows on each side of the topper (total: four) to provide adequate ventilation, and I think it gives the topper a unique look compared to the usual "one big side window" fiberglass topper.

The topper does have a warranty, a year I think? But their dealer network is non-existent, so if you live far from Sacramento CA you're on your own! I accepted that likelihood when I went down this route.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  18. Jan 28, 2019 at 5:05 PM
    BearWithMe

Member:
    Four Corners
    Vehicle:
    I was told by AccessMfg in person that the "D-gasket" EPDM-rubber upgrade was only for the door seals, and that the only topper-to-truckbed seal they use is open-cell foam (the kind you have to replace if you ever take the topper off and put it back on!).

I went with the upgraded D-gaskets but I feel like they should've upgraded all the seals for the cost! $130.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    tacomarin[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Jan 28, 2019 at 8:18 PM
    townace

townace Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen 4WD 2.7L AC
    Thanks for the infos Bear. I am with you on the side windows, I'm not a fan of the huge side windows in a lot of the fiberglass shells.

20. Jan 29, 2019 at 1:02 PM
    townace

townace Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen 4WD 2.7L AC
    People with the toolbox/galley that's accessible from the outside..do you think you could fit a 1 pound propane tank in there? (If there was no shelving) and if it fit would it be too heavy for the sheet metal cabinet? I was thinking about using the same bracket @Toynado used for exterior mounting the tank inside the cabinet to keep it from banging around in there if it fits.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
To Top