1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tradesman Truck Tops commercial style topper/shell

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Toynado, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Mar 6, 2019 at 3:28 PM
    zeelaagee

zeelaagee Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCLT/N.SC
    I'm on the verge of ordering one of these for myself. I was planning on equipping with other goods to outfit my truck first, but I think this might take precedent. Still not 100%... but most of these set ups I've seen here are quite inspiring.

My long term plan (2yr) to put on a ALU-CAB hard shell rtt (kids sleep below, adults above). I'm aiming for a semi-modular system that will allow for flexibility of multiple use scenarios (daily use, trips to obtain lumber when needed, get out n go exploring, etc.).

For those who have equipped with the Tradesman rack, have you found it worthwhile? What is the width you between the upright posts on either end? I doubt it would accommodate the width of the tent at 56" wide.

Also, I am a little apprehensive of dedicating a door to the "toolbox" section... have those with it found it useful to the degree that you would not do without it? Seems good for some kitchen uses, but not big enough to handle all of it. Also, it seems like it adds some functional places on the interior to place a fire extinguisher, outlets, and other stuff...

Anyways, thanks for the shares and inspirations.

2. Mar 6, 2019 at 3:53 PM
    Toynado

Toynado [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB Quicksand
    EXTERIOR: Toytec Boss 2.0 Dakar CS047R Leaf Springs Tailpipe chopped Pelfreybilt Front full hoop front bumper w/ Pelfrey fairlead Pelfreybilt Rear standard bumper Pelfreybilt Aluminum IFS, Mid, Rear (exhaust reroute) & Gas tank skids Pelfreybilt Fuseplate w/ 12 circuit fuse block All-Pro Apex Sliders ProComp 7036 17"x9" -6 offset BFG 275/70R/17 KO2's Warn VR10000-S winch Baja Designs S8 light bar & Squadron sports amber pods in front bumper Baja Designs S2 flush pods in rear bumper Baja Designs Squadron Pro amber pods on Caliraised ditch light brackets @rrentrop reflective black tailgate inserts RSI LED's for regular & high beams Prinsu Cabrac Custom Tradesman Truck Top by Access Manufacturing w/ Powertank 8"propane tank mount & Yakima tracks on the roof INTERIOR: Warrior Products door sill protectors Husky Weather Beater floor mats front & rear Coverking arid multicam seat covers in the front Midland 75-822 CB w/ 4' Firestick antenna on C4 Fabrication tailgate mount Consolevault Hondo Garage iPhone mount
    I don’t have the Tradesman rack but did have them install Yakima tracks on top.

I use my toolbox as my kitchen supplies and it is one of my favorite features. It’s just nice having everything easily accessible and organized. I added a couple hooks for hanging my kitchen knife, spatula and tongs on the sides.

3. Mar 6, 2019 at 4:19 PM
    tacomarin

tacomarin ig: @travelswithchubbs

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    Prinsu Cab and Top Rack VO Drifter LED Interior, License Plate, and Reverse Lights Huskyliner Weather Beater floor mats Salex Center Console Organizers 35% Front/15% Rear Tint Debadged and De-stickered Anytime Front and Rear Cameras Brute force front bumper BAMF HC Dual swing out 285/75r17 BFG KO2 Front: ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Rear: OME Dakar HD, ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Stainless steel brake lines (+4 in rear) Wheeler's Offroad Superbumps Front and Rear Wheeler's Offroad U-bolt flip ECGS CV Axle Bushing SCS Stealth 6 17x8.5 wheels, matte dark bronze
    I totally agree. I love the toolbox. We keep kitchen supplies, plates, tupperware, coffee stuff and jetboil, etc. there. It's pretty much our quick meal and coffee spot. If we stop and need to make sandwiches or make coffee in the morning, that's where we do it. If we really wanted, we could have all of our kitchen stuff in there but we have some extra space so we keep a big cast iron, a pot set, and some other odds and ends in one of the big pullout platform drawers too.

IMG_5618.jpg

Depending on what you do for a platform there's still a lot of room to haul stuff. I just had 4 sheets of 3/4" plywood in the back of mine a couple weeks ago. I hauled it with my tailgate down and strapped in, but there is 6" of clearance under the cabinet to the top of the platform so plenty of room to carry my weekend warrior supplies. I can haul 1 sheet of 3/4" ply in there with the tailgate up also (sticking out the back door). I also had no problem hauling my sliders when they came in on a pallet. It's not as convenient as having a full open bed, but for me the primary function of the bed is for camping, and secondarily is for hauling stuff occasionally.

IMG_5281.jpg

Last thing on the toolbox is sleeping arrangements. This was my biggest concern because my wife and I sleep back there with our 60lb dog. It's definitely cozy, but surprisingly not cramped. I sleep on the toolbox side and sort of angle my feet diagonally so I have lots of space up at the head and shoulders, and our feet get cozy down below. That also gives me a little more length since I'm just under 6'. My wife sleeps on the non-toolbox side and has plenty of space. And then our dog sleeps sideways, fully stretched out in between us taking out as much physical space as possible. But he's adorable so we still love him :D.

IMG_3416.jpg

AxisCab, ETAV8R, xsf18cdf and 2 others like this.
  4. Mar 6, 2019 at 4:23 PM
    tacomarin

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    Prinsu Cab and Top Rack VO Drifter LED Interior, License Plate, and Reverse Lights Huskyliner Weather Beater floor mats Salex Center Console Organizers 35% Front/15% Rear Tint Debadged and De-stickered Anytime Front and Rear Cameras Brute force front bumper BAMF HC Dual swing out 285/75r17 BFG KO2 Front: ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Rear: OME Dakar HD, ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Stainless steel brake lines (+4 in rear) Wheeler's Offroad Superbumps Front and Rear Wheeler's Offroad U-bolt flip ECGS CV Axle Bushing SCS Stealth 6 17x8.5 wheels, matte dark bronze
    Yeah I don't follow that logic either. I think where barn doors make sense is if you have to lift heavy things into the bed a lot. Tailgates have a weight limit and lifting over them is awkward. I think the barn doors look cool but I wouldn't give up my tailgate.

kylehorvath[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Mar 6, 2019 at 7:24 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    I'll put in my $.02 on the toolbox kitchen. I wouldn't change a thing if I ordered again. Not having to pack a tote, load it, unload it every time I needed to make camp or get inside the back is great. One less thing to prep/load for trips. I can stop and get my Trangia stove out and be cooking a burger on the side of the road in less than 10 minutes. Probably less than 5.

Wish I had had this idea way back when I started getting into off-roading/camping. Would have saved me a lot of money between the Flippac and FWC. Personally I don't understand the Alu-cab. It is a lot of money and I think the other wedgefalia type truck shells offer more. If you can afford the Alu-cab now go that route. If you don't have the coin get the Tradesman. I will guess the Tradesman will do just about anything you could want of a shell/cap and later on you might not even want the RTT type system.

6. Mar 6, 2019 at 8:38 PM
    zeelaagee

Member:
    SoCLT/N.SC
    great info guys.

i can't quite tell, but it seems that most have gone with the 26" cap height, but it almost seems like it could be 29"...

i'm so far away from the shop that i'd literally be ordering sight unseen based on pics and people's impressions of the product. guessing from the quality of thought placed into the set ups, the risk seems low as far as dissatisfaction.

another question i have is about the lights. can you switch them on with the doors closed to illuminate the interior, or do the doors have to be open for that?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  7. Mar 6, 2019 at 10:46 PM
    tacomarin

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    Where are you located? A lot of us hit the road so maybe we can connect if we are passing by. I think most of us have gone with the 26” though there are a couple taller and at least one shorter one. I like the 26” though I agree that the roof rack helps make the look work.

Unfortunately you can’t turn the lights on with the doors closed with the way they have it wired normally. You could probably ask them to wire in a switch to do that though and I’m sure it wouldn’t be a problem. In my opinion, if you’re halfway decent with electrical stuff or at least willing to watch some YouTube videos then I would just order some lights from @mattgecko and wire them in yourself. I have the lights from Tradesman plus the ones from Matt and both have pluses and minuses. Having the lights turn on when you open one of the doors is convenient and Tradesman does use good quality lights, but the light output and modularity with the LED strips is really handy.

Lambretta hauler and Toynado[OP] like this.
  8. Mar 6, 2019 at 10:52 PM
    zeelaagee

Member:
    SoCLT/N.SC
    i'm in north san diego county... but my mind is pretty close to being set.

and yeah, i get the sense that they can pretty much work things the way one envisions.

Toynado[OP] likes this.
  9. Mar 6, 2019 at 11:09 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    Just the basics
    I'm in coastal OC if you come up this way you're more than welcome to check mine out.

10. Mar 6, 2019 at 11:14 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    Just the basics
    I'm sure these pics are somewhere on TW but I'll share them again. Show's the differences between various heights and styles.
    JG805 01.jpg Mojavejohn 01.jpg Nosedive 01.jpg Taco Aluminum Cap 30 inch 02.jpg wand3r3r 01.jpg Wedge model 01.jpg

11. Mar 7, 2019 at 4:36 AM
    Toynado

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    EXTERIOR: Toytec Boss 2.0 Dakar CS047R Leaf Springs Tailpipe chopped Pelfreybilt Front full hoop front bumper w/ Pelfrey fairlead Pelfreybilt Rear standard bumper Pelfreybilt Aluminum IFS, Mid, Rear (exhaust reroute) & Gas tank skids Pelfreybilt Fuseplate w/ 12 circuit fuse block All-Pro Apex Sliders ProComp 7036 17"x9" -6 offset BFG 275/70R/17 KO2's Warn VR10000-S winch Baja Designs S8 light bar & Squadron sports amber pods in front bumper Baja Designs S2 flush pods in rear bumper Baja Designs Squadron Pro amber pods on Caliraised ditch light brackets @rrentrop reflective black tailgate inserts RSI LED's for regular & high beams Prinsu Cabrac Custom Tradesman Truck Top by Access Manufacturing w/ Powertank 8"propane tank mount & Yakima tracks on the roof INTERIOR: Warrior Products door sill protectors Husky Weather Beater floor mats front & rear Coverking arid multicam seat covers in the front Midland 75-822 CB w/ 4' Firestick antenna on C4 Fabrication tailgate mount Consolevault Hondo Garage iPhone mount
    I completely agree. I have @mattgecko lights under my sleep platform from when I used to have a tonneau cover and they are easy to wire up. I might put some up top at some point as well.

12. Mar 7, 2019 at 7:13 AM
    Lambretta hauler

Lambretta hauler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2018 cement AC,OR.
    None yet!
    I only have the auto switch in the kitchen box, and a toggle switch in the bed, so I can turn lights on and off with all doors closed.
    I need to wire my bed for phone/streamlight charging and add more lighting.

13. Mar 8, 2019 at 7:06 PM
    UplandTaco

UplandTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hey Everyone,

I've enjoyed following along on this thread. Some great ideas in here and I've definitely found the solution I've been looking for. I actually don't even have my truck yet but I am planning in advance.

Question on the toolbox, why is it mounted in the back end of the truck and not directly behind the driver/passenger seat? I'm guessing a blindspot issue? This seems like a more logical mounting location to me but not having one, I have no idea!?

Those of you with the fan/vent, is this a MUST in your opinion? Given the high cost of the insulation, I'm on the fence about getting it done or doing DIY, I'll have to see it in person to see...

I'm heading to Sac next week for work and will go by and check them out in person. I'm looking at the 26" and will try and build out the most versatile sleeping platform I can, I'm sure there's tons of threads on those but I haven't dug that deep yet!

Anyone who has one, if you would PM me your price and the options you chose, I would really appreciate it. Any other tips you have for a first time Taco and Tradesman owner, please fire away!

Thank you :cheers:

kylehorvath likes this.
  14. Mar 8, 2019 at 7:27 PM
    Toynado

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:

I think it wouldn’t matter where you had the tool box but it works well on the end of you palm to sleep in back with your feet at the tailgate end. I’m 5’9” and sleep at a sight angle on the tool box side and my girlfriend who’s 5’2” sleeps on the other.

The vent is great in the hot weather and to keep down condensation if sleeping back there when it’s cold out. I’m glad mine’s insulated. I like camping in winter.

75DD072B-CBC7-4C18-9FF4-7D6BF2601E95.jpg

I may be in Vacaville on Sunday if you want to check mine out.

ETAV8R and tacomarin like this.
  15. Mar 8, 2019 at 7:27 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    Just the basics
    Having the tool box towards the rear allows you to sleep head towards the cabside of the bed. You can also sit up at the cabside too.

tacomarin and Toynado[OP] like this.
  16. Mar 9, 2019 at 9:27 AM
    tacomarin

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    We don’t use the vent as much as I expected so far but it’s a nice option to have. I wouldn’t say its a necessity. I’m a big fan of the insulation, skin, and carpeting but have seen others DIY it too. It’s expensive but was worth every penny for me. It could be something you add on yourself later if you decide you want it. As far as I’ve heard, most people at least add carpeting to the inside.

Toynado[OP] likes this.
  17. Mar 9, 2019 at 9:46 AM
    Lambretta hauler

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2018 cement AC,OR.
    None yet!
    Where in Sacramento will you be?
    I'm in midtown,you're welcome to check mine out before you drive to Winters.

18. Mar 9, 2019 at 9:46 AM
    zeelaagee

Member:
    SoCLT/N.SC
    The way I envision using the fan, besides for sleeping, would be when I need to contain my dogs inside the back of the truck. Open windows, fan on, and that way they're comfortable.

19. Mar 10, 2019 at 9:58 AM
    UplandTaco

UplandTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

I'll actually be in Sac on the 19/20th I believe, still working out my work schedule.

@Lambretta hauler I'd love to check it out, thank you for the offer. I don't know the city well but my meetings will be at the CA dept. of Fish & Game (wherever that is!). @Toynado - Thanks for the offer also, I hope to connect with you some other time, your rig looks bada$$.

@zeelaagee This is why that and the insulation is important to me, my dog will be spending a lot of time back there and being based in Reno, I'll need all the help I can get with the heat (and cold). I'll likely look into some kind of high powered fan or A/C to put back there as well. As far as camping, I'll be doing it in places from 100+ down to 0 degrees. I'd be tempted to do the insulation DIY to save money, but maybe it's best to get it done right from the start. Has anyone figured out what exactly they use for insulation, and if there's a better material to use should I go the DIY route?

Toynado[OP] and Lambretta hauler like this.
  20. Mar 10, 2019 at 11:16 AM
    Lambretta hauler

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2018 cement AC,OR.
    None yet!
    I work in Midtown, I would think you will be close as fish and wildlife have a few offices around the downtown/midtown area. One is nextdoor to me.

To Top