1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tradesman Truck Tops commercial style topper/shell

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Toynado, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Apr 2, 2019 at 3:36 PM
    Toynado

Toynado [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB Quicksand
    EXTERIOR: Toytec Boss 2.0 Dakar CS047R Leaf Springs Tailpipe chopped Pelfreybilt Front full hoop front bumper w/ Pelfrey fairlead Pelfreybilt Rear standard bumper Pelfreybilt Aluminum IFS, Mid, Rear (exhaust reroute) & Gas tank skids Pelfreybilt Fuseplate w/ 12 circuit fuse block All-Pro Apex Sliders ProComp 7036 17"x9" -6 offset BFG 275/70R/17 KO2's Warn VR10000-S winch Baja Designs S8 light bar & Squadron sports amber pods in front bumper Baja Designs S2 flush pods in rear bumper Baja Designs Squadron Pro amber pods on Caliraised ditch light brackets @rrentrop reflective black tailgate inserts RSI LED's for regular & high beams Prinsu Cabrac Custom Tradesman Truck Top by Access Manufacturing w/ Powertank 8"propane tank mount & Yakima tracks on the roof INTERIOR: Warrior Products door sill protectors Husky Weather Beater floor mats front & rear Coverking arid multicam seat covers in the front Midland 75-822 CB w/ 4' Firestick antenna on C4 Fabrication tailgate mount Consolevault Hondo Garage iPhone mount
    Ditto: fridge and trash outside and do worry about bears when I’m not near the truck to scare them off.

2. Apr 2, 2019 at 3:42 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    You put your fridge outside?

3. Apr 2, 2019 at 3:47 PM
    Toynado

Toynado [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB Quicksand
    EXTERIOR: Toytec Boss 2.0 Dakar CS047R Leaf Springs Tailpipe chopped Pelfreybilt Front full hoop front bumper w/ Pelfrey fairlead Pelfreybilt Rear standard bumper Pelfreybilt Aluminum IFS, Mid, Rear (exhaust reroute) & Gas tank skids Pelfreybilt Fuseplate w/ 12 circuit fuse block All-Pro Apex Sliders ProComp 7036 17"x9" -6 offset BFG 275/70R/17 KO2's Warn VR10000-S winch Baja Designs S8 light bar & Squadron sports amber pods in front bumper Baja Designs S2 flush pods in rear bumper Baja Designs Squadron Pro amber pods on Caliraised ditch light brackets @rrentrop reflective black tailgate inserts RSI LED's for regular & high beams Prinsu Cabrac Custom Tradesman Truck Top by Access Manufacturing w/ Powertank 8"propane tank mount & Yakima tracks on the roof INTERIOR: Warrior Products door sill protectors Husky Weather Beater floor mats front & rear Coverking arid multicam seat covers in the front Midland 75-822 CB w/ 4' Firestick antenna on C4 Fabrication tailgate mount Consolevault Hondo Garage iPhone mount
    No, fridge is in back seat which is the real worry. Don’t want Yogi yanking the door off to get inside

ETAV8R[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Apr 2, 2019 at 3:58 PM
    jwctaco

jwctaco Victim of a well spent youth

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW Michigan
    Vehicle:
    23’ T4R, Alice, the fishing car
    When my wife and I camp in bear country we go to great lengths to keep all food type odors as far away from us and the vehicle. Bear locker in the parks, up a distant tree when no locker available. It is a pain but , we have had some interesting late night experiences. We also try and have food that keeps cooking and cleaning to a minimum.

faw3, Toynado[OP] and tacomarin like this.
  5. Apr 2, 2019 at 4:15 PM
    dman100

dman100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB
    I haven’t had any real close encounters with bears, though I’ve had them sniff (or rather snort) around my tent, but of course no food inside. However, I’ve had enough experience with raccoons, and Death Valley burros that I wouldn’t use a Trasharoo outside. Trash always goes in the truck when I’m away from camp. So I just use a bag, sometimes in the bucket I keep for campfire extinguishing if needed.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    ETAV8R, Toynado[OP] and tacomarin like this.
  6. Apr 2, 2019 at 4:53 PM
    tacomarin

tacomarin ig: @travelswithchubbs

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    Prinsu Cab and Top Rack VO Drifter LED Interior, License Plate, and Reverse Lights Huskyliner Weather Beater floor mats Salex Center Console Organizers 35% Front/15% Rear Tint Debadged and De-stickered Anytime Front and Rear Cameras Brute force front bumper BAMF HC Dual swing out 285/75r17 BFG KO2 Front: ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Rear: OME Dakar HD, ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Stainless steel brake lines (+4 in rear) Wheeler's Offroad Superbumps Front and Rear Wheeler's Offroad U-bolt flip ECGS CV Axle Bushing SCS Stealth 6 17x8.5 wheels, matte dark bronze
    Lol I read that the same way :rofl:

ETAV8R[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Apr 2, 2019 at 6:43 PM
    kylehorvath

kylehorvath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Humboldt/Tuolumne/Stanislaus
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab, 4x4
    Over GVWR and I keep adding more metal
    20190331_144704.jpg 20190330_183243.jpg 20190331_144736.jpg
    I attached a few pics of the 26"-32" wedge. I'm happy with the way it lines up with a loaded Prinsu Rack, but definitely wouldn't add this topper to rig with no roof rack! I think the 23-29 rise would line up nicely with my set-up too, but I'm happy with the extra head space while inside. Wind noise actually seems quieter now, compared to an empty bed and empty Prinsu Rack... either way, sound deadening and insulation to the cab is in the works. I will be getting around to camper interior design soon and will fill everyone in, I'd somehow like to make a Crash Pad Sofa, similar to the attachment here. The wood would be the base of the bed, but could be removed for making camp sofas, and the crashpad would be the bed padding and for bouldering.

The awning is mounted with M6 hardware, I used 6 bolts with their heads in the backing of the awning, and drilled two pairs of holes through the frame, and another pair of holes through the skin for "good" measure. I added a few layers of gorilla tape where the windoor contacts the awning, it seems to work fine. I do also use a loop of p-cord and a slip knot/fisherman knot to limit it's arc when fully set-up.

The Trasharoo only has wrappers and empty cans in it, nothing with caloric value. I spent a few years living in Yosemite and have had to deal with bears a lot, so I wanted to keep the build as bear-safe (and federally legal) as possible. One of the biggest reasons I didn't get a fridge was the hassle to remove during backpack trips and NPS-camping. So I've opted for a bear safe cooler instead :cheers:

aff5334bc864d83afef11d64688d6045.jpg

Klondike Kid, AxisCab, Sna and 2 others like this.
  8. Apr 2, 2019 at 6:52 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    Looks great!
    Did you experience wind while in in DV? If so how did the awning fare?

9. Apr 2, 2019 at 7:00 PM
    kylehorvath

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab, 4x4
    Just a bit of wind, but nothing major (probably just 20mph tops). Awning has been ok so far and I haven't ripped out any stakes... but anything gale force, 1) it's too damn cold to need the awning, and 2) if it's that windy and raining, I'll be in the cab watching Superbad with the heater on.

10. Apr 3, 2019 at 10:07 AM
    tacomarin

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    Prinsu Cab and Top Rack VO Drifter LED Interior, License Plate, and Reverse Lights Huskyliner Weather Beater floor mats Salex Center Console Organizers 35% Front/15% Rear Tint Debadged and De-stickered Anytime Front and Rear Cameras Brute force front bumper BAMF HC Dual swing out 285/75r17 BFG KO2 Front: ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Rear: OME Dakar HD, ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Stainless steel brake lines (+4 in rear) Wheeler's Offroad Superbumps Front and Rear Wheeler's Offroad U-bolt flip ECGS CV Axle Bushing SCS Stealth 6 17x8.5 wheels, matte dark bronze
    Good info guys, thanks! I think a Trasharoo will be the way to go for transporting between locations and for cans, etc. We'll probably continue to separate our food waste into another bag that we can stash appropriately when needed. We have a bear rated cooler too but I always forget to bring a lock for it so I'll have to add that to the list.

11. Apr 3, 2019 at 11:41 AM
    kylehorvath

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab, 4x4
    the lock is great for humans, but a bear can still pop the lock... I actually use 1/4" stainless steel bolt (it's my go to hardware for everything at work and personal life!), with a few regular nuts. That way, a bear has not leverage on the locking mechanism :)
    I normally have a bit of chain and a 4 digit combo lock so I can keep it secure when in a bear locker at a trailhead or something

12. Apr 3, 2019 at 3:41 PM
    tacomarin

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    Now that's good thinking! But what if the bear finds my socket and wrench set?

AxisCab likes this.
  13. Apr 3, 2019 at 6:46 PM
    kylehorvath

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab, 4x4
    I use 10mm hardware, he'll never find it

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    faw3, Minny Taco and Beggsy like this.
  14. Apr 9, 2019 at 6:54 PM
    UplandTaco

UplandTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    @kylehorvath I see you were with a buddy who had a GFC tent, did you have any envy or were you happy with your Tradesman?

Also, I was reading your crashpad couch comment and immediately thought of that black diamond set up and then scrolled down! I wish I had traced that wood outline when I worked in an outdoor store. Those things are surprisingly comfy!

15. Apr 9, 2019 at 8:38 PM
    kylehorvath

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab, 4x4
    Of course I had envy, those things are sweet! But I drilled 60 got-dang holes in my roof for the prinsu, so I'm committed to keeping that on now, hahaha.
    After I do a drawer and platform build (better than the current makeshift platform), I think that envy will lessen. For my style of bandit camping where you shouldn't camp, I'm happy with the ARE wedge style... especially since I backpack more than car camp.
    After one shakedown, I had to reposition the weather stripping, and re secure the clamps... probably would not have had those issues with a Tradesman. Build and finish quality are "meh" for the ARE DCU... time will tell after more trips!

16. Apr 9, 2019 at 8:38 PM
    kylehorvath

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab, 4x4
    I'll get pics and dimensions of the BD crashpad couches soon, maybe next Sac visit

17. Apr 15, 2019 at 10:05 PM
    mcfarty

mcfarty Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mcfarty
    Jackson, WY
    Vehicle:
    2019 White Tacoma OR LB
    6112 Front and 5160 Rear with AAL ECGS Bushing replacement Prinsu Roof Rack FourWheelCamper Swift and Tradesman Camper Shell Custom bed modular platforms and storage units KO2's and Blizzaks Pioneer 6600 upgraded head unit Engine Core heater OEM
    IMG_8009.jpg IMG_8011.jpg IMG_8018.jpg IMG_8016.jpg IMG_8021.jpg Thanks to this forum just had one built and installed. Completely impressed with the quality and equally as much with the company staff and install team. John the owner and Maria the sales manager were so kind and nice, great peoples and small town feel. Worthy group of people to spend your hard earned money with. Wish I would have had more time to get crazy on the customizing but had to get it built on a time crunch and still impressed on everything. Highly recommend them on both quality and company.

Anyone come up with any creative fairing ideas or know of any off the shelf ones? Definitely guzzles a bit more gas on the highway with the new top.

18. Apr 16, 2019 at 7:42 AM
    dman100

dman100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB
    @mcfarty what height is your new shell?

mcfarty likes this.
  19. Apr 16, 2019 at 8:26 AM
    mcfarty

mcfarty Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mcfarty
    Jackson, WY
    Vehicle:
    2019 White Tacoma OR LB
    6112 Front and 5160 Rear with AAL ECGS Bushing replacement Prinsu Roof Rack FourWheelCamper Swift and Tradesman Camper Shell Custom bed modular platforms and storage units KO2's and Blizzaks Pioneer 6600 upgraded head unit Engine Core heater OEM
    57FE4369-E461-435D-9A42-8EBEABFF0A35.jpg

kylehorvath and dman100[QUOTED] like this.
  20. Apr 17, 2019 at 12:59 PM
    BearWithMe

BearWithMe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Four Corners
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB OR Blazing Blue 6MT
    The topper looks good! I'm also interested in a fairing or wind deflector for my Tradesman to help with the fuel economy. I was surprised to find Google doesn't really turn up anything suitable...

To Top