1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tradesman Truck Tops commercial style topper/shell

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Toynado, Aug 4, 2017.

1. May 1, 2021 at 4:24 PM
    villageidiot327

villageidiot327 New Member

Member:
    I do not have a tacoma, but I referenced this thread many times with my camper build/order process on the last 2 trucks (colorado had to get lemon law’d), currently in a 2020 Ford ranger.

ordered my topper in mid december and picked it up yesterday 4/30/21

30” tall, radius front, square top and sides/rear, double rear door, carpet lined, reinforced for off-road use, roof fan installed (I supplied), bars for roof rails should I opt for that. Sliding side windows, fixed front/rear windows.

7C23F69C-BF63-4F38-BC3D-2B62318AE4A2.jpg

2. May 1, 2021 at 4:28 PM
    villageidiot327

Member:
  3. May 2, 2021 at 7:51 AM
    Baja Explorer

Baja Explorer Member

Member:
    Congrats on your new topper ... it looks awesome! And thanks for posting photos.

I also supplied a roof fan for them to install. And I also ordered double doors in the back and sliding side windows. I went a little crazy and went for the insulation and carpeting ... and a couple of inside lights wired to a switch. Mine will be 42" tall with a 36" cabover. I also had them mount some L-tracks on the ceiling to hang my surfboards and some L-tracks on the outside for shade tarps. And a Furrion solar port so I can easily plug-in my solar panel. I hope you're happy with it and get tons of miles and smiles with it.

villageidiot327 likes this.
  4. May 2, 2021 at 8:17 AM
    bodean

bodean Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Crowsnest Pass, AB
    Vehicle:
    02 Taco RCSB, 16 Taco AC6MT, 07 FJC, 22 Bronco
    sounds like an awesome build, be sure to post photos when you get it.

5. May 2, 2021 at 8:51 PM
    tacomarin

tacomarin ig: @travelswithchubbs

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    Prinsu Cab and Top Rack VO Drifter LED Interior, License Plate, and Reverse Lights Huskyliner Weather Beater floor mats Salex Center Console Organizers 35% Front/15% Rear Tint Debadged and De-stickered Anytime Front and Rear Cameras Brute force front bumper BAMF HC Dual swing out 285/75r17 BFG KO2 Front: ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Rear: OME Dakar HD, ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Stainless steel brake lines (+4 in rear) Wheeler's Offroad Superbumps Front and Rear Wheeler's Offroad U-bolt flip ECGS CV Axle Bushing SCS Stealth 6 17x8.5 wheels, matte dark bronze
    Can’t wait to see this. Don’t think you’ll regret the carpeting and insulation. I definitely haven’t!

6. May 2, 2021 at 8:53 PM
    tacomarin

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    Prinsu Cab and Top Rack VO Drifter LED Interior, License Plate, and Reverse Lights Huskyliner Weather Beater floor mats Salex Center Console Organizers 35% Front/15% Rear Tint Debadged and De-stickered Anytime Front and Rear Cameras Brute force front bumper BAMF HC Dual swing out 285/75r17 BFG KO2 Front: ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Rear: OME Dakar HD, ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Stainless steel brake lines (+4 in rear) Wheeler's Offroad Superbumps Front and Rear Wheeler's Offroad U-bolt flip ECGS CV Axle Bushing SCS Stealth 6 17x8.5 wheels, matte dark bronze
    Get outta here Ranger lover!!! :D

I had t seen the radius front. That’s a cool option. Looks like a great setup!

7. Jun 7, 2021 at 5:51 PM
    Bobito

Bobito Active Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen DCSB
    Small lift, Armor, Topper
    1st Gen DCSB Tradesman Topper

just a feeler if anyone out there may be looking for one. I’m trying to post in the sales forum as well.

Silver mist with Frontrunner rack on top.

8. Jun 18, 2021 at 1:03 PM
    Bobito

Bobito Active Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen DCSB
    Small lift, Armor, Topper
  9. Jul 11, 2021 at 2:41 PM
    Baja Explorer

Baja Explorer Member

Member:
    A few of you wanted to see some photos of my new Tradesman. I have a Tundra and not a Tacoma, but this gives you an idea of what they can build. I received it about 6 weeks ago, so I've spent the last 6 weeks doing the build-out inside. I am so happy with this camper shell. The build quality is top-notch and totally exceeded my expectations. I had seen several photos of their products online (including this forum) and Tradesman had sent me many other photos, but I hadn't seen anything like what I was envisioning. It took me a while to configure all the dimensions, but they absolutely nailed it and it came out exactly how I had envisioned.

I opted for the full insulation and interior carpet. This added about $2,000 but I need the insulation for winter Baja and the carpet gives it a finished look. No offense to those who have the bare aluminum skeleton, but this isn't a shell for weekends in the desert. This truck and camper have been configured for 2-3 month trips in the middle of nowhere Baja. So, essentially, it's like a home away from home. I had planned to do a nice build-out, so I wanted the interior of the shell to be nice and homey too.

And for anyone out there who wants more of a camper shell than a topper/cap, I strongly recommend giving Tradesman a look - especially if you're considering a Callen. Years ago, I had a Callen, which wasn't the best experience. They failed to build it to my specs, they had an arrogant, elitist attitude, and the thing was absurdly heavy because those are made of steel. Tradesman estimated that mine weighs between 400 and 450 lbs., which sounds about right. Before the camper, I once had 450 lbs. of compost in the back of the truck and it sagged more than now with the camper.

I have no affiliation with Tradesman other than being a very happy and satisfied customer. They were all very friendly and tremendously helpful ... and I totally appreciate them not getting annoyed with all my questions and requests! Feel free to ask any questions about my camper shell or build out. I'm not a carpenter, but I still had a lot of fun creating it.

IMG_7914.jpg
    IMG_7916.jpg
    IMG_7911.jpg
    IMG_7912.jpg
    IMG_7906.jpg

elboniecki, Kahpo, chrslefty and 12 others like this.
  10. Jul 12, 2021 at 12:01 PM
    jbumx2

jbumx2 Member

Member:
    Like the simplicity of your camper! Couple of questions... what are the exterior rails for? I usually see two rails on the side to support loads better. And how air tight is the truck bed/camper top area? Do you get much dust inside?

11. Jul 12, 2021 at 2:31 PM
    Baja Explorer

Baja Explorer Member

Member:
    The rails are called "L-tracks." They're made of aluminum and you can insert specific fittings into slots that run then entire length. The fittings that I will use are loops (https://www.uscargocontrol.com/products/single-stud-fitting-w-stainless-steel-ring) and 3/8" threaded studs (https://www.uscargocontrol.com/products/l-track-double-lug-threaded-stud-fitting). I will use the loops to attach a tarp (with grommets) and I will use the threaded studs to hang other things. I have 7 lengths of L-tracks on the inside. The ones on the ceiling are what I use to affix my surfboards to the ceiling. I have them on each side kind of low to secure my gear (crates, tubs, ARB fridge, water, etc.) while I'm driving down washboard. And I have them on each side a bit higher to hang things while I'm camping.

I haven't used it yet, so I can't speak to dust leaks, but it's supposed to be totally sealed by the way it's put together. But because it's a shell/topper and not a slide-in, there's a 1/4" gap on each side in the back (between the truck and camper where the tailgate used to be). So I filled it with spray insulation then ran a fat bead of caulking to make it look somewhat decent. There's one remaining spot that I'll have to deal with ... although the rear doors come together and fit snuggly, there's a spot that's about 1/2" x 1/2" directly below where the doors come together that could allow dust inside. So I'll figure out a way to plug that.

Cwopinger and trailbound like this.
  12. Jul 14, 2021 at 5:36 PM
    tacomarin

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    I would bet that if you took a hermetically sealed metal box through the desert at 50 mph you would open it up and find it full of dust. :rofl:Every trip I do I think I've got it figured out and still, dust finds a way.

13. Jul 15, 2021 at 6:06 AM
    Baja Explorer

Baja Explorer Member

Member:
    You are so right! I think I'm being foolishly optimistic ...

tacomarin likes this.
  14. Jul 21, 2021 at 11:22 PM
    FoxenTec

FoxenTec Active Member

Member:
    Californication
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 4X4
    A.R.E. DCU Shell
    Baja Explorer........What is the height of the shell you ordered? Also wondered what the new height is inside the shell. I am guessing about 58" from floor to ceiling?

Thanks,

15. Jul 22, 2021 at 8:39 AM
    Baja Explorer

Baja Explorer Member

Member:
    FoxenTec, its exterior height is 43". I had initially ordered a 45", but one of the fabricators kindly suggested that it would be a little too tall which would take away from the aesthetics. For my intended purpose, the lowest I could go was 42". So I'm very happy with 43". Inside, I have 63.5" from the floor to ceiling. Keep in mind I have a Tundra, which probably has taller bed walls than a Tacoma.

chrslefty and FoxenTec like this.
  16. Jul 23, 2021 at 10:40 AM
    FoxenTec

FoxenTec Active Member

Member:
    Californication
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 4X4
    A.R.E. DCU Shell
    Has anyone been able to get through and talk to someone at Tradesman (Access Mfg)? I tried calling over two days, tried every extension and no call back. The first extension says no longer in use. Seems odd for a business to not answer phones or return calls.

17. Jul 23, 2021 at 11:41 AM
    Baja Explorer

Baja Explorer Member

Member:
    Although it's been a few months since I've had to talk with them, they had been very responsive throughout the entire order/build process. The contact info that I have is:
    530-795-0720

You can also try email:
    maria@accessmfg.com

Best of luck ...

18. Oct 15, 2021 at 7:41 PM
    villageidiot327

Member:
  19. Oct 15, 2021 at 9:14 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    Saw this one up in Yosemite. The guy is heading back to North Carolina on his way from Alaska. He said he never heard of Tacoma World.

20211014_101428.jpg
    20211014_100829.jpg

Cwopinger, trailbound and Tacman19 like this.
  20. Oct 16, 2021 at 6:16 AM
    tacomarin

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    For the sake of his bank account I hope he never finds it. :rofl:

Cwopinger and ETAV8R[QUOTED] like this.
To Top