1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tradesman Truck Tops commercial style topper/shell

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Toynado, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Jun 13, 2018 at 10:04 PM
    Lambretta hauler

Lambretta hauler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2018 cement AC,OR.
    None yet!
    It’s a custom shop, they will work with you to build anything you want.

Tornado, when I saw your OP , I knew what I was going to get.
    Living in Sacramento made it easy,Thanks!
    When TacoMarin posted his in cement, I smashed the skinny pedal on the right and headed for Winters to put my cash on the table!
    That said, should be a week or two for mine, then the pimping starts.

Bigdaddy4760, ETAV8R and tacomarin like this.
  2. Jun 13, 2018 at 11:05 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    Picking mine up 3rd week of July. Put in my Bedrug today. Time to start working on the drawer/platform.

3. Jun 14, 2018 at 3:14 PM
    Toynado

Toynado [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB Quicksand
    EXTERIOR: Toytec Boss 2.0 Dakar CS047R Leaf Springs Tailpipe chopped Pelfreybilt Front full hoop front bumper w/ Pelfrey fairlead Pelfreybilt Rear standard bumper Pelfreybilt Aluminum IFS, Mid, Rear (exhaust reroute) & Gas tank skids Pelfreybilt Fuseplate w/ 12 circuit fuse block All-Pro Apex Sliders ProComp 7036 17"x9" -6 offset BFG 275/70R/17 KO2's Warn VR10000-S winch Baja Designs S8 light bar & Squadron sports amber pods in front bumper Baja Designs S2 flush pods in rear bumper Baja Designs Squadron Pro amber pods on Caliraised ditch light brackets @rrentrop reflective black tailgate inserts RSI LED's for regular & high beams Prinsu Cabrac Custom Tradesman Truck Top by Access Manufacturing w/ Powertank 8"propane tank mount & Yakima tracks on the roof INTERIOR: Warrior Products door sill protectors Husky Weather Beater floor mats front & rear Coverking arid multicam seat covers in the front Midland 75-822 CB w/ 4' Firestick antenna on C4 Fabrication tailgate mount Consolevault Hondo Garage iPhone mount
    Yeah when I was saw my first Tradesman topper then found out how customizable they are I knew I had to have one. Post pics when you get yours!

Bigdaddy4760 likes this.
  4. Jun 14, 2018 at 3:14 PM
    Toynado

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    EXTERIOR: Toytec Boss 2.0 Dakar CS047R Leaf Springs Tailpipe chopped Pelfreybilt Front full hoop front bumper w/ Pelfrey fairlead Pelfreybilt Rear standard bumper Pelfreybilt Aluminum IFS, Mid, Rear (exhaust reroute) & Gas tank skids Pelfreybilt Fuseplate w/ 12 circuit fuse block All-Pro Apex Sliders ProComp 7036 17"x9" -6 offset BFG 275/70R/17 KO2's Warn VR10000-S winch Baja Designs S8 light bar & Squadron sports amber pods in front bumper Baja Designs S2 flush pods in rear bumper Baja Designs Squadron Pro amber pods on Caliraised ditch light brackets @rrentrop reflective black tailgate inserts RSI LED's for regular & high beams Prinsu Cabrac Custom Tradesman Truck Top by Access Manufacturing w/ Powertank 8"propane tank mount & Yakima tracks on the roof INTERIOR: Warrior Products door sill protectors Husky Weather Beater floor mats front & rear Coverking arid multicam seat covers in the front Midland 75-822 CB w/ 4' Firestick antenna on C4 Fabrication tailgate mount Consolevault Hondo Garage iPhone mount
    Post pics when you get it installed!

ETAV8R[QUOTED] and Bigdaddy4760 like this.
  5. Jun 14, 2018 at 5:28 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    Just the basics
    Of course. Hoping the shakedown trip will be in Owen's Valley somewhere.

6. Jun 15, 2018 at 7:11 PM
    Lambretta hauler

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2018 cement AC,OR.
    None yet!
    Damn, now I want to have a shake down in the Owens.
    Love that area.

ETAV8R likes this.
  7. Jun 15, 2018 at 7:27 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    Just the basics
    Do it!

8. Jun 21, 2018 at 11:23 PM
    TacoHilux

TacoHilux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma access cab 4x4
    I'm also planning on purchasing one of the Tradesman truck shells. After reading everyone's reviews on them I think my mind is made up. Will be going with something very similar to @tacomarin and @Toynado 26" tall for adequate headroom while camping. Thank you guys so much for all the great content!

My two main issues that I'm having trouble deciding on will be the roof rack and the insulation.

I definitely think the insulation is the way to go, but I figure I can do this myself to save some money, but in the end with the cost of supplies and all that extra time I'm sure it would be simple enough just to pay Tradesman to do it. So still deciding on the insulation? Any input on this?

The other would be a roof rack. I was planning on building my own around the items I carry with for camping, or possibly bolting down some type of universal T-track system? Also I would assume you could use a 1/4-20 RivNut on any of the .060 1"x1" aluminum tube frame? This would allow lots of customization. Also would be nice to be able to use the roof to move materials, similar to a lumber rack just with limited capacity.

9. Jun 22, 2018 at 11:31 AM
    tacomarin

tacomarin ig: @travelswithchubbs

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    Prinsu Cab and Top Rack VO Drifter LED Interior, License Plate, and Reverse Lights Huskyliner Weather Beater floor mats Salex Center Console Organizers 35% Front/15% Rear Tint Debadged and De-stickered Anytime Front and Rear Cameras Brute force front bumper BAMF HC Dual swing out 285/75r17 BFG KO2 Front: ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Rear: OME Dakar HD, ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Stainless steel brake lines (+4 in rear) Wheeler's Offroad Superbumps Front and Rear Wheeler's Offroad U-bolt flip ECGS CV Axle Bushing SCS Stealth 6 17x8.5 wheels, matte dark bronze
    You're going to love your top! I often have the dilemma with a lot of work on my truck and house - I can often do the work myself, but I also have a full time job, spouse, dog, and lots of hobbies. So where it makes sense, I do the work myself. And when it doesn't, I let other professionals do it. It's always painful knowing you could do something yourself for the cost of materials. For us, we just wanted a turnkey top that would be warm and comfortable. We plan on having this truck for a long time and doing a ton of camping with it. So was it worth it for me to pay to have the insulation done? 100%. I've got enough other stuff to do to keep me busy and that kind of project would give me very little gratification. It's like all the french drains I put in around my house. I know how back breaking that work was but no one besides my wife and I appreciate it! So now I go for all the glory projects like installing lights. :D

The roof rack installation... probably still worth it but it would be super easy to drill holes, run a silicone bead, and mount the Yakima tracks. But it's way easier to do when they're building the top because they can make sure it's in the most structurally sound location, and I know it's done right. And if I ever have issues with it, they will fix it. We got a good deal on Yakima tracks so we went with those, but yes, any T-track should work and they just bolt it through the frame. They used some thumb nuts on the inside of the top to tighten it down, but a RivNut would probably work also.

All this stuff adds up so you definitely need to have a budget in mind and adjust to your needs accordingly. There is certainly no limit to how much you can spend on anything, and these tops are no exception! After having it for a few months and using it a lot, I don't think there is anything I would change on it, except to have run some wiring for lights while they were building it up.

10. Jun 22, 2018 at 11:40 AM
    Lambretta hauler

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2018 cement AC,OR.
    None yet!
    I was going to run flood lights on the out side, but was told they would have to make the doors shorter for the 4” square plate to reinforce the mounting location. So I decided to not get floods.
    I will get my install next Thursday, I can’t wait!

11. Jun 22, 2018 at 11:43 AM
    tacomarin

tacomarin ig: @travelswithchubbs

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    Prinsu Cab and Top Rack VO Drifter LED Interior, License Plate, and Reverse Lights Huskyliner Weather Beater floor mats Salex Center Console Organizers 35% Front/15% Rear Tint Debadged and De-stickered Anytime Front and Rear Cameras Brute force front bumper BAMF HC Dual swing out 285/75r17 BFG KO2 Front: ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Rear: OME Dakar HD, ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Stainless steel brake lines (+4 in rear) Wheeler's Offroad Superbumps Front and Rear Wheeler's Offroad U-bolt flip ECGS CV Axle Bushing SCS Stealth 6 17x8.5 wheels, matte dark bronze
    Awesome! Good call on the floods. If I were going to do it I would probably just mount some to the rack (that I don't have yet). The light strips that I put at the end of the doors work really well too

12. Jun 22, 2018 at 11:51 AM
    Lambretta hauler

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2018 cement AC,OR.
    None yet!
    I thought about the rack as well, I’ll figure it out when I get the rack and batwing.
    I like the idea of lights on the bottom of the doors,
    That would throw decent light.

13. Jun 22, 2018 at 1:44 PM
    TacoHilux

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Vehicle:

@tacomarin You make a whole lot of sense on these decisions! I think I need to get this thing ordered already so I can start enjoying it for the rest of summer! I assume the roof rack will be easy enough to build and mount myself, I'll have to see how much they charge to do the rail system. I want to visit the factory when I place the order, see their process and how they do the insulation, maybe gets some Ideas if I end up doing it myself, although at the moment I'm leaning towards having them do it.

Looking forward to seeing yours in person soon. I think I'll be ordering it right after that!

14. Jun 23, 2018 at 8:36 AM
    Toynado

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    @tacomarin summed it up perfectly and my thoughts exactly.

I always struggle with any project truck or house of doing it myself or paying someone to do it.

It be camped back there on some cold nights where my friends in the RTTs are waking up cold and complaining and I was back there all toasty. Plus the carpet on the inside holds the condensation if you didn’t crack the vent and windows enough.

Also as he stated it’d be easy to drill the holes to mount some tracks so long as you don’t hit a rib.

For sure go tour the factory.

I am totally confident you’ll love your shell!

15. Jun 23, 2018 at 10:13 AM
    TacoHilux

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Vehicle:
    @Toynado I'm so impressed with how you've figured everything out. I especially like the placement of your solar shower. Seems like a great spot to aid in aerodynamics as well. I have an access cab and was not planning on retrofitting a roof rack over the cab. The roof on the access cab has to be drilled out and some sort of threaded anchor installed to utilize any substantial roof rack, so placing the solar shower perpendicular to the front of the topper with an air dam attached could be a cool option to help the flow of the truck topper, or maybe just for looks!

16. Jun 23, 2018 at 10:17 AM
    TacoHilux

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Vehicle:
    Here's an ARE DCU topper I spotted while in Yosemite a few weeks ago. Right under Yosemite falls. This looks like a taller version maybe 29" Still a pretty nice set up! The ARE Shells are made of .030 skin, when the tradesman have .040. I'm definitely convinced the tradesman are superior units for camping after reading through this thread!

IMG_2058.jpg
    IMG_2059.jpg
    IMG_2060.jpg
    IMG_2061.jpg

ETAV8R and Toynado[OP] like this.
  17. Jun 23, 2018 at 10:31 AM
    TacoHilux

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Vehicle:
    Here's the inside of my camper set up with my Softopper on and off. Just to give you guys some ideas on build outs. I came across a few designs like this and really like it. Camping in a small space like the back of your truck always has it compromises, but this one seemed to be the best of everything that I wanted. I wanted to keep it light, so I utilized two bins for storage, and flip storage panels further into the bed. I also wanted to be able to put my feet down so I made three movable panels in the middle to make it somewhat modular. The right cabinet works great for storing clothes, and the shelf is great too. The rear has a spot for water in a jerry-can, and I used Akro Mills plastic bins for some of my cooking supplies that fit in the dead space near the built in bed storage compartments.

IMG_0968.jpg
    IMG_1094.jpg
    IMG_2225.jpg
    IMG_2228.jpg
    IMG_2231.jpg

18. Jun 23, 2018 at 12:21 PM
    Toynado

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    Actually those panels just get placed up on top of my Plano boxes if I’m out hiking/away from the truck for more than a day and want them locked to the rack. Usually they are set up facing the sun

82B2F058-628E-4B82-9612-BD53CCE673E8.jpg

Stay tuned as I just placed an order to do two thin 50W panels afixed to the top of the topper - one on each side of the vent. I’ll post up once I get them all wired up.

rob1208, ETAV8R and TacoHilux[QUOTED] like this.
  19. Jun 23, 2018 at 2:45 PM
    Lambretta hauler

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2018 cement AC,OR.
    None yet!
    Life goals!

TacoHilux likes this.
  20. Jun 27, 2018 at 10:09 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    Just the basics
    So this happened. It was ready a month ahead of schedule. So I took a trip to Owens Valley on the way home.

20180625_125929.jpg
    20180625_193814.jpg
    20180626_131739.jpg
    20180627_054759.jpg

captrussia253, DJB1, Phoosa and 3 others like this.
To Top