1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trading in modded truck - tell all or no?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by ITDude, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Dec 7, 2018 at 11:33 AM
    ITDude

ITDude [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRDORDCLB Barcelona Red
    The big brake mod, was swapping the Tundra TSB calipers and rotors along with SS braided brake lines. Without measuring, I doubt someone would be able to tell by looking. Maybe.

I traded in my 2003 double cab because I hit a deer coming back from dinner one night with the kids. I didn't even get to keep the deer because I was dressed up and wasn't about to wrestle a carcass into the back.

I replaced the radiator, and the hood, and realized that while trucks of my vintage were selling for $12K-$15K with similar 100+ miles, mine was getting a little worn, and I wanted the DBLB, so off to the dealer late in December, and they wrote the price down $6K for my trade, and I didn't have to deal with trying to sell it.

2. Dec 7, 2018 at 11:33 AM
    Sungod

Sungod Well-Known Member

Member:
    St Augustine
    They don't care about your mods. Some of the dealerships I have worked with let their lot monkeys have whatever they want. If you need floor mats, bed liners, etc. Those are the guys to go to.

3. Dec 7, 2018 at 11:42 AM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    When I traded in my old Scion tC for my Tacoma, they dinged me on the trade in value and wouldn't budge on it because it had a cold air intake, saying they would have to put a stock one in to sell it. Was probably true because I don't remember if that intake was CARB approved or not and if it needed to be smogged, that would make it fail the visual inspection. Anyway I say take as much of the aftermarket stuff off as possible and sell it to recoup costs because the dealer won't give you anything for modifications, if anything they'll offer you less because of them.

Almost always easier to sell a stock vehicle than a modified one, the more mods you have the smaller the demographic is that will be interested in buying the vehicle.

BuddyS likes this.
  4. Dec 7, 2018 at 12:12 PM
    Tacoma3rdGen

Tacoma3rdGen Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma Limited
    When selling your vehicle to a dealership, their first concern (regarding the trade) will be if they wish to resale verses auctioning the vehicle. My experience suggests a professional salesperson will ask what mods have been made to the truck. Most non-dealer performed mods will reduce their offer, and I’ve wittinessed a few “not interested” and “rejected” trades if the vehicle frame has been modified in any way. Best to return the truck to stock condition before bringing it in as a trade to a dealership, and then selling all mod kit leftovers to third parties. (Note: I’m referencing manufacturer dealerships, not lower end “used” car only dealers).

If selling privately (most always the best dollar return), then you may recover some of the modification costs. Recovering 10 cents on the dollar is optimistic. Good, popular, non-personalize mods, may only provide the prospective buyer reason to purchase your vehicle over another of the same make, model, year, mileage, and price (or not). I prefer to maximize my return on vehicle cost, and therefore only perform mods that can be returned to stock, and leave modification evidence behind. If an individual is planning to keep the vehicle past the point of reasonable resale value, then mod away as much as you like (after all, that’s the part of the Tacoma fun-in-ownership experience). However, understand the forthcoming unintended sequences during trade or resale time.

US Marine likes this.
  5. Dec 7, 2018 at 5:46 PM
    svdude

svdude Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jonathan
    I don't get too deep in all of that. I look at current market prices on both trade in and private party sales. I want the dealer to give me near private party value for my trade. For the vehicle I'm buying I look at average prices in the area plus a used value of the same vehicle in the area as well. I then find a fair value of those, tip the scales a few grand in my direction and make my offer to the dealer. I don't haggle, just stand my ground on my offer. They either take it or they don't. About half the time they take it and I feel like I got a decent deal.

Another thing for me to consider is the value of my time. It isn't worth my time to sell privay partu most of the time. If there's only a grand or two difference between money in my pocket for selling vs. trading then I'll just trade and not look back. Life is too busy to try and dime and nickel a deal.

ABA180 and ITDude[OP] like this.
  6. Dec 7, 2018 at 6:30 PM
    shackley

shackley Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro MT Super White
    RCI rock sliders, Goodyear Ultraterrains 265/70/R16, BAK X2 tonneau
    That was my experience.

7. Dec 7, 2018 at 11:05 PM
    Volt

Volt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Overland Park, Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR5 4x4 Double Cab V6
    My fourth red Tacoma
    This is a type of sales tactic. It is similar to what is called an Insult Pick Up Line where a guy will deliberately insult a girl so as to prompt her into conversation and tempt her to gain the guy's acceptance. The salesman saw you heading to Parts so he figured what the hell let's try to see if I can insult this guy into a conversation. "Hey! Just busting your balls buddy!! Sweet ride man! So here, dude like seriously you got to check this out, come sit in this bad boy."

Also an Old School sales method is to very deliberately piss you off during the negotiating when they sense you might walk. By pissing you off you will stay put to get your point across, show how strong you are, and to make sure you get the best deal out of them. The trick of course being is you would have walked otherwise so now they got a sale and they up you in the fiance department. You drive away telling your wife what a good deal you got.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  8. Dec 8, 2018 at 6:21 AM
    Key-Rei

Key-Rei Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 6Spd 4x4 209BSM
    Locker anytime Fog Lights anytime Full LED light conversion TRD cat back Rear cat delete Exaust Y reroute away from actuator Alloy Clutch master 2000 4Runner "Dog Leg" shift leaver Marlin shift seats and bushing Rear seat delete Rear diff breather extension Chrome grille swap Debadge Rear seat delete Honda blower motor beefy plug and wire mod Anytime 12v and USB with volt gauge in bed Blue Sea fuse box Hella AND 70's Caddy horns Low profile recessed hex drain plug swaps Alluminum battery strap 7pin relocated Backup cam on anytime Various other creature comfort and personal taste mods.
    Wow, that's even more shite than I expected.

9. Dec 8, 2018 at 8:51 AM
    lynlan1819

lynlan1819 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tacoma
    Lifted
    Its up to the new buyer to inspect/know what he or she is purchasing,nobody is going to hold your hand.

10. Dec 8, 2018 at 8:57 AM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    I traded my 2006 Colorado on my Tacoma..mainly I didn't trust the Colorado after the engine needed a new top end. I was honest with the dealer about it but didn't want to risk private party selling it.

11. Dec 8, 2018 at 9:02 AM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    This..and as I posted, I didn't want the risk of the truck I traded in breaking down.

12. Dec 8, 2018 at 9:49 AM
    TSAVO

TSAVO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    Something as old as a 1st gen is going to go straight to auction anyway. They have no interest in it other than selling you the shiny new truck.

13. Dec 8, 2018 at 8:01 PM
    markmizzou

markmizzou Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    17 SR5 V6 4x4 AC AT tow pkg. Blue as they come
    A back step for when I get older, Carhartt seatcovers, 4Runner wheels, Topper, and "tats all folks"! --for now!!
    Just for your info -- the tax issues vary widely from state to state - some states penalize "private sales" some do not - Missouri is thankfully one that does not!

14. Dec 8, 2018 at 8:09 PM
    markmizzou

markmizzou Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    17 SR5 V6 4x4 AC AT tow pkg. Blue as they come
    A back step for when I get older, Carhartt seatcovers, 4Runner wheels, Topper, and "tats all folks"! --for now!!
    Only if you are a dumbs@#t, and a sucker, and you did not do your research on vehicle values beforehand!

15. Dec 8, 2018 at 8:20 PM
    TacoBuffet

TacoBuffet Well-Known Member

Member:
    AL
    Vehicle:
    Taco #13, 2022 OR DCSB Cemint
    5100s, TE37s, Wildpeaks, Tint, Bedmat, LEDs
    Most modded trucks / cars end up at auction anywho, wouldn't worry bout it. When I had a second job at Manheim Auctions, tons of low mileage, newer lifted trucks went through the block.

ABA180 likes this.
  16. Dec 8, 2018 at 8:32 PM
    tdcoly

tdcoly Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm guessing his first gen was wholesaled without a second thought. If he traded at a Toyota dealer, they probably wouldn't even want to put a truck that old on the lot.

TSAVO likes this.
  17. Dec 8, 2018 at 8:39 PM
    5nahalf

5nahalf I build dumb things

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno Longbed
    They usually don't like to keep things they can't get certified and Jack up the price on.

TacoBuffet likes this.
  18. Dec 8, 2018 at 8:42 PM
    AZF1504x4

AZF1504x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Modded/ lifted trucks are desirable around my part of the woods. There are dealers who specialize in em all brands, lift sizes etc... I’ve never had a problem personally selling a modded ( and by modded I mean lift/tires/wheels ) truck. I’d actually say that I’ve had an easier time selling em vs the ones not modded.

19. Dec 8, 2018 at 10:12 PM
    Dacon

Dacon 2017 Tacoma TRD PRO Quikrete

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Gilbert, Arizona.
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD PRO DCSB. DOP 02.20.2017
    TRD PRO Cement 2017 TRD CAI and AFE Magnum Flow Dry Air Filter Camburg KINETIK Series Billet UCA Icon LCA skid plates Icon Coilover extended travel shocks with 700# springs Icon 2" rear shocks Icon RXT leaf springs full pack (new rims and tires soon)
    Do you have the original parts off the truck? Put them back on, or find taco members in your area that have stock tacos and see if you can trade your add-on parts for their stock ones and get a few $$$ on them. Return the truck as much as stock to the dealer. Some dealers may even offer you less because the truck is "modified" and "may" have warranty problems.

ABA180 likes this.
  20. Dec 10, 2018 at 6:59 AM

1977 Tacoliscious

Member:
    First Name:
    Newman
    Coloradical
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD XC
    Black Rhino • Bilstein • OME • Falken
    Used car managers at most large dealerships use online tools to appraise/price vehicles. They allow them to see real-time transaction data across the entire country, you can see market listings, sale prices, auction data. etc. Mods are not included in this transaction data so in most cases, you are better off trading in a stock truck and selling your mods outright.

Products Discussed in

To Top