1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trading in Tacoma on a FORD

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by wormhole7, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Feb 22, 2012 at 7:19 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    And there it is...

2. Feb 22, 2012 at 7:32 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon Musk Moderator

Member:
  3. Feb 22, 2012 at 8:49 PM
    ranchonodinero

ranchonodinero Active Member

Member:
    DFW Metroplex
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD sport
    I bid Adios to my 2003 GMC duramax diesel/allison transmission yesterday when I traded it for a 12 Tacoma TRD sport. When I purchased the truck almost 10 years ago, it was loaded and expensive. We needed the diesel to pull a variety of trailers including 3 horse slant, toyhauler, and various utility trailers. At the time I purchased the truck, diesel was cheaper than gas-that was short lived. Still, the truck was pretty luxurious and well it should be-it was over 40K, but had leather, heated seats, trailer package, zoned heat and AC, decent multi disk player, dvd system, and was a short bed. The dealership did all my service-even oil changes. Enter failed injectors and the silent recall. GMC has a problem or had a problem the 03 model LB7 fuel injectors that were installed on the trucks and they began failing. They manifested the failure by a light amount of smoke at idle. I went to the dealership after you and I became share holders (you remember the bailout right?). They informed me there was a silent recall and I was 6 months out of the range. The truck needed 2 injectors and actually all would fail eventually. As a "goodwill" gesture, they agreed to lower the price by 500-this still put the repair at around 4K. Mileage on the truck was around 140K when this was discovered. Bottom line is that the truck was defective at assembly and they didn't fix it. If they had told me that I would again have to spend 10% of the purchase price almost 10 years after purchase for something THEY did-I would run away and would have been a Toyota or a Ford owner much earlier. I will not own another GMC product nor would I recommend one-they do not stand behind what they sell and they build crap. They should have failed-there is a reason they were failing and as tax payers we should have let them die like the dinosaur the brand has become-but I digress. The Tacoma is much smaller, less refined, more truck like than the big GMC-it lacks many of the creature comforts and is not the least bit intimidating and well-kinda cute in comparison. But rightly or wrongly, I feel very good about the brand and about the perceived value I received. I anticipate the truck will be reliable and hold it's value. And even though it is a "Japanese" truck, it was made in Texas while my old GMC had much of it built in Mexico. So be careful what you get and I'll "salute" the gmc dealership everytime I drive by.

4. Feb 23, 2012 at 3:55 PM
    wormhole7

wormhole7 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake Dallas, Tx
    Vehicle:
    TSS
    Leather, Suspension TSB, Billy 5100's up front set at .85, Eaton Posi LSD,Grillcraft Black Mesh Grills,Aires Bull Bar,Black Low Profile Narrow Toybox,Black Headlight Mod,Black Tail lights ,USA Spec,Ipod, PopnLock,Bed Mat,Bug Sheild,Vent Visors, Weathertec Liners,Radar,Nuvi 760,Dog Ramp,Convex Mirrors, Roof Rack, Tint, Borla exhaust, Borla Intake, OBX pedals, Home Link Auto Dimming Mirror with remote, 20" Factory Wheels, Factory Tube Steps
    I guess the upside would be having the 4 wheel drive and the one
    I'm looking at is really plush. That being said, to this point I have only looked online. Have never driven it or been to the dealer. Just emailing
    the sales guy back and forth.
    Also they are offering a really good price for what I'm looking at. They are
    coming off the sticker by 8500.00 I am still unsure and if I (with all you guys help) talk myself out of it. I will definitely go look at some 4x4 Taco's.

Had I gotten a 4x4 with the Taco, there is no way I would be considering this now.

5. Feb 23, 2012 at 4:06 PM
    BulletToothTony

BulletToothTony You’ll have that on these big jobs.

Member:
    First Name:
    You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
    I'll take your roof rack if you decide to sell :D..... seriously though i will

6. Feb 23, 2012 at 4:09 PM
    rdd11

rdd11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Red Deer, AB
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Double Cab long box black
    K&N cold air, Exhaust
    Do not buy a ford man. Fords are the worst for electronic issues and with twin turbos even more issues will happen. They aren't as fuel efficient as they say. They are fast yes but turbos arent tow friendly at all. My father was always against ford and he was a mechanic and owned his own shop for years. He knew what he was talking about. A decision you will regret for sure

7. Feb 23, 2012 at 5:38 PM
    808hiker

808hiker Taco addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Get a 4x4 Taco.

Those Fords are built with cheap ass materials. One of our business trucks is a 2009 F-450 and the sheet metal they use for the doors is so wimpy and thin that I actually dented it by just lightly leaning against the truck. And the interior is made with the shittiest plastics I have seen yet. Just sayin'

8. Feb 23, 2012 at 6:35 PM
    05sctaco

05sctaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Santa Cruz
    Ecoboost your truck, just get a twin turbo setup, or you can get a URD supercharger, e-fan to make it quieter, new pulleys, and if you need something to come one and say "Built in America" or "Sexy Beast", etc. you can get a double in unit with a screen. Heated and cooled seats you can aftermarket that, with leather. Hell everything ford offers you can aftermarket. Spiffy hood lights like on the raptor, you can after market those too.

9. Feb 23, 2012 at 6:40 PM
    F34R

F34R Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    '12 PreRunner SR5
    I doubt I'd want to own another truck since having this Taco. It's made that much an impression on me in just ten days. I've had a Ford F150 and a Dodge Ram 1500 before this.

10. Feb 23, 2012 at 7:09 PM
    h.zack801

h.zack801 Scumbag Extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle:
    Truck Parked Mod
    Door Dings
    All in all, if you're itchin' for a full sizer, go with the Tundra. Make sure you get the crew cab short bed though. All the other options look like radiated grubworms, to me. But unless you have something BIG to haul around, just get a 4wd tacoma. These boys pull more than their share of weight.

Products Discussed in

To Top