1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trail Damage :(

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Grande, Apr 26, 2011.

?

Which way should i fix it

Poll closed May 26, 2011.
  1. Matched bumper

13 vote(s)
    19.4%
  2. Tubed bumper

43 vote(s)
    64.2%
  3. Flip a coin

11 vote(s)
    16.4%
  1. Apr 26, 2011 at 2:48 PM
    anethema

anethema Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
    Agreed on the high clearance. Get yourself a relentless high clearance bumper. Ideally get a new front bumper as well so truck looks matched (And much more bad ass).

Solves all your problems.

2. Apr 26, 2011 at 2:51 PM
    AKTACO420

AKTACO420 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RETODD
    Anchorage AK
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma
    bucket seats grille craft mesh grille and lights behind grille
    I had the same problem but I had no choice but to go forward and when I did my bumper hit a tree root which pushed the bumper up and smashed my tail light. I'm hopping to get a new high clearance bumper but that damn tail light cost me 250$. I just pushed my bumper down there pretty weak

3. Apr 26, 2011 at 2:53 PM
    Grande

Grande [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Victorville, CA
    Vehicle:
    Thomas, The little truck that could
    Painted badges. Bedlined grille, wheels and lower valence. Billies 5100 @.85 up front. Dodger Jack Ball Mod. Custom trail damaged rear bumper (for the time being). Lil LED light bar on grill. Hard-wired Radar Det. Custom Projector fog lights, Anytime Fog Mod, HIDS, White LED accent lighting on a Single post double toggle swicht, so they light up wit my door/dome light, or always on, or never on. LED map and dome lights.
    what a burn, yea im lucky mine didnt brake, after the big thud and regaining my hearing after losing it due to girls screaming for their lifes :)D) i looked in my side mirror and my taillight was swinging back and forth, i gota get a new left light, but im gona depend on the tape for now and get my bumper out the way first

4. Apr 26, 2011 at 3:05 PM
    Grande

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Victorville, CA
    Vehicle:
    Painted badges. Bedlined grille, wheels and lower valence. Billies 5100 @.85 up front. Dodger Jack Ball Mod. Custom trail damaged rear bumper (for the time being). Lil LED light bar on grill. Hard-wired Radar Det. Custom Projector fog lights, Anytime Fog Mod, HIDS, White LED accent lighting on a Single post double toggle swicht, so they light up wit my door/dome light, or always on, or never on. LED map and dome lights.

yea idealy it would, plus the relentless one is awsome, i like how it kinda keeps the body line/style, but i do like my matched one, it makes the whole truck, and if i matched a tubed or plated one it would look like......actually i dont even wana think of that bcuz i will start to throw up...

i guess the only thing that is stoping me for a hi clearence is, the likeing of my color matched and regreting cutting my bedside, and that im most likely to start looking for a front bumper, which will keep me from upgrading my suspension more than this...

5. Apr 26, 2011 at 4:29 PM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    i VOTE 2
    and welcome to my world
    [​IMG]
    duct tape ftmfw
    x2^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    you can most likely pop most of that dent out too
    duct tape FTMFW again

6. Apr 26, 2011 at 4:36 PM
    Grande

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Victorville, CA
    Vehicle:
    yea im most likely gona get a rear tube bumper and cut off the bottom rear bedsides, but i am gona miss my matched bumper :(

i just dont kno which one yet

7. Apr 26, 2011 at 4:38 PM
    anethema

anethema Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
    Hah well you can still upgrade your suspension. Add a leaf, get some icon coilovers, swap front and rear bumper.

Nothin stopping you! :D

Anyways, color matching your bumpers is silly on a machine you're going to be taking on the trail anyways.

Tube bumpers are ugly to my eyes as well.

There are some nice examples of speedway blue done right though..

IMG_0027_3f183bd1e8be52db883f2f91bbd1969f82e076f2.jpg
    and
    [​IMG]

You can't possibly tell me that this is not better than matched bumpers (for an offroad truck) in every single way including looks :D

Good luck man. All kidding asside matching is not the way to go if you're in the position to damage it all the time. Going to drain your wallet trying to keep the damn bumpers blue :)

8. Apr 26, 2011 at 6:35 PM
    Grande

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Victorville, CA
    Vehicle:

Well yea, nothing is stopping me, i just meant its gona take me longer to get it bcuz now i gota spend the money that im saving for my new suspension set up.

And about the bumpers, i kinda dont like the first pic bcuz of the fenders, the secound one is cool, i like his set up.

plus i would be all over a high clearence plate bumper, but i really dont need it, im not 4x4, so i think it would be kinda silly for any truck that has a bullet proof bumper and never put it in a situation to where it really needs it, i dont put my truck in crazy rock climing, high diffitculty rating trails and go balls to the walls, if i was 4x4 then hell yea.

plus my goal for my truck is not a full out off road warrior, or else i would got sumthin else.
    Want im trying to achive is a daily driver that is city/road friendly and good off road capability.
    what im sayin is that im not trying to climb mt everest or take up two parking spots each time i park somewhere.

not that the bumper would make me take up two spots tho, and i just went way off topic but kinda stayied within it in the same token.

maybe i should just stop typing everything i think lol........oh man i need to get some fresh air, ive been in front of this computer waaaay too long.

9. Apr 26, 2011 at 6:59 PM
    Grande

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Victorville, CA
    Vehicle:
    its wonders what a fresh breath of air can do, lol.

damn bro i didnt even answer ur question, but actually i was planning on having a similar outcome of the secound picture, except i wanted to get all suspension done first then get the "body" work done.

But i still do think the matched bumper is a key thing with our trucks since most come with chrome, and it does make a big difference.

but i think a tube bumper with the cut off and topped with my future rear lift will hopfully be enough clearence for me

10. Apr 26, 2011 at 7:01 PM
    donovan6241

donovan6241 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Donovan
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport Double Cab Long Bed
    im in the same situation right now. mi rear bumper is damaged and i want a color matched one. do u know how much it is for a brand new color matched one online or at the dealer?

11. Apr 26, 2011 at 7:03 PM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    I say just leave it be until you save up for a tube bumper. :)

12. Apr 26, 2011 at 7:06 PM
    Grande

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Victorville, CA
    Vehicle:
    no, i looked at it in the past but i forgot, but im sure they are a hefty price if they are OEM, im gona try to get a used one first, if not then its off to the test tubes :D

13. Apr 26, 2011 at 7:12 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    About 30lbs.

The OEM bumpers are more expensive than the plate options. ATO high clearance. It's worth every penny. Never worry about your ass end again.

14. Apr 26, 2011 at 7:19 PM
    Grande

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Victorville, CA
    Vehicle:
    i cant really find a tube bumper that floats my boat, im gona try and find someone to hopefully fab one up for me, i do hav some rough ideas tho, i want to combine the top part of this onePA010013_d833649d353e528b48d99e909d80b886904c2174.jpg

combined with the bottom part of this one but with out the wrap aroundIMG_2338_1632259ba71fa491229ef6366a60985feb398a68.jpg

15. Apr 26, 2011 at 7:23 PM
    Grande

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Victorville, CA
    Vehicle:
    ooh man, this is gona take alot more time than i thought :frusty:

16. Apr 26, 2011 at 7:32 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    This is really a personal preference. I personally don't care for the hard core off road look. Huge bumpers, skid plates huge lift's and so on, don't get me wrong, they look bad ass, it's just not me. I do some trail running and fire roads, but stick to the Prerunner trails. :anonymous:
    But if that is the look you want, maybe this is a good time to get started. Was the fiberglass tape there before or after the damage? :notsure:

17. Apr 26, 2011 at 7:41 PM
    Grande

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Victorville, CA
    Vehicle:
    yea im kinda in the same boat, thats kinda y a tube one should be more than enough for me

plus im definitly gona go back to that trail and i dont wana scrape again

18. Apr 26, 2011 at 7:44 PM
    Grande

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Victorville, CA
    Vehicle:
    oh no, thats the only tape my buddy had when we got back to his house, and it had to do.

19. Apr 26, 2011 at 11:18 PM
    HIYota

HIYota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angel
    Las Vegas, NV originally Kauai, HI
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver 6 spd TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    Check my build thread...too much to list.
    You want a color matching bumper but don't want to scrape your rear end again...I say buy a tube bumper and paint it blue :p

20. Apr 27, 2011 at 12:18 AM
    amadougrand

amadougrand Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southwestern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    My rear bump is much worse than that, but if replacing go with the plate bump and get some handyman slots cut into it for lift points. No rattleing shackles for me.

Products Discussed in

To Top