1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trailer Brake Controller Recommendation

Discussion in 'Towing' started by OleMansTaco, Feb 19, 2023.

1. Feb 19, 2023 at 2:56 PM
    OleMansTaco

OleMansTaco [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 TSS
    Im looking for trailer brake controller recommendations for my Taco. I'll have a single axle 3500 lb travel trailer. Am I correct in thinking this should be a plug & play install?

My Taco is a 2015 4x4 double cab with the factory installed tow package.

Thanks in advance for everyone's comments.

2. Feb 19, 2023 at 3:05 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    If it is a tow package it's plug an play.

3. Feb 19, 2023 at 3:08 PM
    Dubiousveracity

Dubiousveracity Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRDOR DCSB MT
    none
    Red arc and tikotona both have nice remote head units. Where you have a small knob and the main controller is buried under the dash.

I have a red arc and am happy with it.

4. Feb 21, 2023 at 8:23 AM
    mic_sierra

mic_sierra Toshiba HDDVD is the future

Member:
    Elsewhere
    Vehicle:
    '21 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4 Auto
    This is what I am running. Check out Redarc's website to see if they have a 2nd Gen harness to plug into your factory harness. I know they have a 3rd Gen harness and I note the part number in the post I linked. Good luck.

5. Mar 25, 2023 at 7:49 PM
    surfxplore99

surfxplore99 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD OR
    @OleMansTaco If you go with the RedArc - maybe call them - Australian company/timezone - but while the package looked to come with all the necessary components - I found that it did not! The wiring harness in the package (I got the pro) - did not come with the plug and play adapter for the Tacoma end of wiring, and the piece that is supposed to be factory fit for the dash is not for the 3rd gen Tacoma. I've seen a video of a guy who zip tied the unit underneath - and was going to do that too.... but at this point I was already order the extra dash piece for the button, and the plug and play wiring, so I just spent the extra $ on the bracket they recommended. The install was relatively easy, I just took my time.

However, I'm not so sure about the functionality yet - it seemed to overpower my trailer brakes and was not working well. Coulda been user error with my first experience with it. I might have needed to dial the power back, or I didn't install it correctly.
    Last season I used the Curt bluetooth brake controller and had no issues with that except for one time losing bluetooth connectivity. When I get my trailer back from service in a couple of weeks I have to attempt the red arc again before a long trip.
    I'm kinda over trailering a camper already and either want to switch to the 2.5 Gen Tundra to make the whole process more enjoyable with a more capable truck, or go back to tent camping, or maybe a RTT. good luck to ya. Cheers.

6. Mar 26, 2023 at 6:13 AM
    roundrocktom

roundrocktom Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Silver DCLB Off Road

Photo of the Redarc Elite Brake Controller mounted in my 3rd generation.
    I used 3003 0.040 Thick aluminum to make a mounting plate to pick up two openings with an oversized back washer to capture the screw.
    You can see the front part of the mount with the screw in it. It's rigid and works fine.

e-trailer.com had the controller, Tacoma wiring adapter, and the nifty switch adapter. It comes with a universal metal piece but didn't fit, so I made my own. Used thin cardboard to make the pattern. Costco dog bone uses them to separate layers, keep those for templates. Cut to fit with scissors and pencil to poke hole locations, and use as a template for the aluminum piece.

Ya, playing Tetris helps. The position took a while; I had removed the airbag under the steering wheel to gain access to the back side of the nuts. Life with Parkinson's and tiny screws makes things like this a challenge.

upload_2023-3-26_8-3-38.jpg

TheSlickGoose likes this.
  7. Mar 26, 2023 at 6:08 PM
    rybern

rybern Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    N Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD OR & 2000 SR5
    5100's & 3AAL, 265/70r17 Toyo AT3
    I bought the Red Arc Liberty Tow and it's fantastic. I've been using it to tow our 4000 lbs travel trailer. The Liberty is a little cheaper than the Red Arc Pro but the Red Arc Pro is better if you plan to tow your trailer off road because it will work better during steep pitches and rolls. I know I won't be doing that and therefor went with the Red Arc Liberty.

Everything mounts behind the dash and it looks factory.

Redarc Liberty:
    https://www.redarcelectronics.com/us/tow-pro-liberty-electric-brake-controller

Dash board mount:
    https://www.redarcelectronics.com/us/tow-pro-universal-mount

Here's where I mounted my controller. In full disclosure, the controller took a little work to make it fit as shown in the photo below. I recommend purchasing a controller mount but keep in mind if you have a truck with the Premium package you may have to use the odd shaped dash blank like I did. As far as the module goes, I mounted it under the dash to the brake pedal bracket using heavy duty zip ties. It's VERY solid.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
    Blisterinthesun likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top