1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trailer Brake Controller-Tundra to Tacoma

Discussion in 'Towing' started by rdvm1972, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Sep 8, 2020 at 2:45 PM
    rdvm1972

rdvm1972 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black Tacoma SR5 4x4
    None, brand new. Looking for ideas
    I have a 2020 Tacoma and would like to install a trailer brake controller. I was wondering if an integrated factory trailer brake controller from a Tundra could be installed into a Tacoma? I like the look of something more factory then the aftermarket options. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. And if you have done the swap, please share the process and any pictures. Thank you in advance.

the dashing ham likes this.
  2. Sep 9, 2020 at 8:41 AM
    NV_Spencer

NV_Spencer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 CREWMAX / 2017 OR DCSB
    I'm not an electronics guy but I don't think it'd be worth the hassle at all, it will take a bunch of backwards engineering. 1) I'm not sure what the accelerometer & wiring situation on the Tundra looks like which you'd have to find a home for in the Tacoma 2) most importantly, you won't have the trailer display in the dash to show gain settings so there would be no way to know what number you're set to. Get one of these more "factory looking" controllers:

Curt Spectrum, Curt Echo, or one of the Redarc Tow-Pro models. Very clean installs.

the dashing ham and Rock Lobster like this.
  3. Sep 9, 2020 at 10:25 AM
    brtnstrns

brtnstrns Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2020 Voodoo Blue TRDOR DCSB
    I too wish there was a more "factory" looking option for the Tacomas like most OEM brake controllers. Alas, there is not. But Redarc Tow Pro's are about as factory as you could ask for. They even make a replacement button blank insert to really make it blend in. It's what I and many others use and it really is just about the best option you can get if you don't want a clunky controller that's obviously aftermarket.

[​IMG]

Frito, the dashing ham, Owlr and 2 others like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top