1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trailer brake magnet failed

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Saguarobandit, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Jun 10, 2020 at 2:10 PM
    Saguarobandit

Saguarobandit [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Just an FYI:
    I bought my teardrop trailer about two years ago. After a few thousand miles I would get an intermittent "no connection" message on my brake controller.
    Thinking it was probably a bad connection at the 7 pin connector or poor ground, I added a ground to the trailer and cleaned up the 7 pin connector.
    That "no connection" message kept coming up intermittently until finally the brakes would not work at all.
    I ended up taking the trailer on several long trips (including Canyonlands NP) with no brakes. Luckily the Tacoma brakes are adequate enough to stop the fully loaded trailer.
    Now at 13,000 miles, I finally took the drums apart and found a broken wire at the RIGHT side brake magnet.
    The LEFT side magnet wire is still intact but the sheath is broken.
    I ordered a new magnet and upon comparison to the old magnet, i noticed the center is worn oblong and also wore out the actuator arm. Seems like the magnets fit too loose on the actuator arms causing too much play.
    My fix is to order two actuator arms and replace both magnets. The new magnet kit came with a magnet retainer clip and new tension spring.
    Both magnets on my trailer didn't have the retainer clips when I took it apart but did have the tension springs.
    The magnets have too much play on the actuator arms, that's most likely why they failed.
    https://youtu.be/YwCBXPrzy4k

103731701_1363885557136141_7937709125512580426_n.jpg
    102407035_2615575452089327_7361053950127188954_n.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top