1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trailer frame rust -- Would you?

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by dk_crew, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Jun 22, 2020 at 6:28 PM
    dk_crew

dk_crew [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma 4x4
    We're looking at a travel trailer. overall it's in great shape but there is a bit of rust on the trailer, axle, leaf springs. I know rust is a big topic in TW so was hoping I could share a few pics and ask for your thoughts on the rust.

I think the actual trailer frame looks OK. I could scrape and apply fluid film or other. I've replaced the leaf on my taco and assume I could do the same here if necessary along with some of the other basics. The trailer will sit in the side of our yard 90% of the time with a few occasional trips (making a bit more room).

IMG_0967.jpg IMG_0976.jpg IMG_0975.jpg IMG_0972.jpg IMG_0970.jpg

The trailer itself a terry classic ... we've stayed in one of these in the past and have been on the lookout for quite some time. The outside and inside are in excellent condition but my guess is that it's been on the coast for 2 years. We're in Austin so it shouldn't continue to get much worse assuming I can get it cleaned up.

upload_2020-6-22_20-27-37.jpg

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

spitdog and tinker_troy like this.
  2. Jun 24, 2020 at 6:37 AM
    Madtown

Madtown Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Madison,WI
    Vehicle:
    Former 3G Tacoma owner
    Honestly that looks mostly like heavy surface rust & would not concern me that much. That could easily be cleaned up with sand blasting & re-coated. Good looking caravan btw.

3. Jun 24, 2020 at 7:10 AM
    dk_crew

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma 4x4
    Thanks for the reply. I agree I think I can clean up the surface rust and that will give me a better sense. I also think the parts that look the worst are replaceable fairly easy so I think I'm moving forward. I have a place that's going to be doing a full inspection on it so we'll see. THANKS AGAIN!

4. Jun 26, 2020 at 12:39 PM
    3JOH22A

3JOH22A Toyota Gigolo

Member:
    District 6ix
    Vehicle:
    3G Tacoma on 35"s, 5G 4Runner
    Need to remove a few of the fasteners holding the corrugated plastic splash guards near the leaf shackle hanger and take a look inside.

No shock absorbers on the axle? How does it avoid bouncing all over the place on the highway?

5. Jun 27, 2020 at 12:33 PM
    spitdog

spitdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Access Cab V6 4x4 SR5 MGM
    You wouldn’t need do do nothing but keep it under coated with fluid film. Once you sprayed it, it would stop it from rusting and protect if from further rusting.

6. Jul 16, 2020 at 5:38 PM
    dk_crew

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma 4x4
    Thanks for the notes. I wanted to close the loop on this thread. The deal for that first trailer fell through. She backed out last minute. Which is fine. Then this beauty fell in my lap and it’s now sitting in the backyard. 1965 AS globetrotter that’s pretty bare at the moment. I’m the 3rd owner and I’d say it’s in good shape and basically ready for me to do take in any direction I want. I’m looking forward to another learning experience with this rig, and I’m definitely ready to get out of town for a bit ...
    DB6D89B6-A00E-4C10-A8F3-BFC48CBA2CA8.jpg

Grossomotto and tinker_troy like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top