1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

trailer lenth

Discussion in 'Towing' started by kar1025, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Jun 1, 2012 at 5:16 PM
    GaryArt1

GaryArt1 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Bohemia, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Sport 4.0 DCLB 4x4
    I am sorry and I know I may not be too popular by disagreeing with a more senior member but I need to say something. Let me start by saying that I am not meaning to disrespect any site member and I have learned a lot from reading posts from senior members. Saying that, I have been reading this forum for quite a while and I see a lot of people make statements such as yours and present them so it sounds like fact. It is your opinion that a Tacoma can't handle a large trailer. Some of us may be more comfortable than you towing something larger. Let me give you my opinion and this is only opinion. I feel my Tacoma is a great TV. I have towed a lot of different trailers with different trucks and I am very very impressed with the capabilities of my Tacoma. I currently tow a 29' travel trailer that weighs in at approx 5500 wet and loaded. My Taco handles this trailer better then my SUV used to handle my little pop up. Now saying that I did a few things to my Taco to get it to tow as well as it does. Here is some facts:
    1. I have a double cab, long bed-the xtra length helps stability
    2. I have the V6-pulls like a champ, yes hills I slow down but do better than the semis
    3. I had the rear spring TSB done-helped with any loads
    4. I have Firestone airbags-same as above
    5.I have the Tekonsha P3 brake controller-great unit
    6. I have a Reese dual cam WD hitch-great unit, no sway what so ever
    7. I have Mckesh towing mirrors-stock mirrors not great for towing
    8. I pack my trailer right without putting too much wight toward rear
    9. I have the towing package-needless to say
    10-I have good tires on trailer, TV and keep both maintained well

With the above facts, I feel very comfortable taking my family for vacation with my trailer and Taco. The Tacoma is rated for 6500lbs. If someone is not comfortable towing more than 3K, that is fine but they should not say it is not capable of towing large trailers. Many on this site do things off road with the Tacoma that I would be uncomfortable doing. I would be the last person to say the Taco shouldn't be used for that.

So once again, I mean no disrespect. I just want to give my opinion so people reading this forum like I did years ago before I decided on my Taco and trailer, are not scared away from towing up to the Tacoma's capabilities. My advice to them is to tow what you are comfortable towing. My Taco is a GREAT TV.

2. Jun 1, 2012 at 5:20 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    :eek: That's empty..... How much will it weigh when you have all your stuff in there and in your truck?

3. Jun 1, 2012 at 5:29 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    [​IMG]

and as someone who towed these, for 15 years, and has run across all kinds of weather, over the eastern half of the US, yes the tacoma can pull that kind of load, but if you have a tire blowout, on the truck or trailer, there is NO margin of safety and the results could be horrible. I used to drive close to 100,000 miles per year, and have seen enough stuff to have respect for the truck I am in and what I will pull. Ive seen semi have a blow out coming down fancy gap va and was barley able to stop empty.
    you should always plan and prepare for the unexpected because it can happen. safe travels.

4. Jun 1, 2012 at 5:31 PM
    CantSitStill

CantSitStill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    FTR
    CNY
    Guy with 5500 wet and loaded 29' trailer- just fine. Tow away!!!

Guy with 5500 dry and unloaded trailer-- really pushing it by the time it's full of water, gear, food etc.

I wouldn't be concerned about trailer length, just the weight. Towing at the max manufacturer weight rating is not a good idea in my book.

5. Jun 1, 2012 at 6:02 PM
    sechsgang

sechsgang Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD OR 4WD 6spd
    With a Travel Trailer, length plays a very important role because of the susceptibility to sway with the large side area. Especially for a small truck with a short wheel base.

6. Jun 1, 2012 at 6:06 PM
    sechsgang

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD OR 4WD 6spd
    Sure. But a Tacoma will be over its limits with a 5,500 lbs dry weight trailer once that trailer and truck is loaded up for camping. No matter if you install air bags, different springs, tires, etc.
    If you feel safe doing that with your family in the truck, then hey, it's you. Hope you don't get into an accident, it could turn out nasty.

7. Jun 1, 2012 at 6:36 PM
    CantSitStill

CantSitStill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    FTR
    CNY
    Just indulge my ignorance then: even with a sway control setup? I would think that 22' or 29' wouldn't matter as long as tongue weight and total weight were we within range. I tow a lot of stuff, but nothing very big. 8' landscape, 12' v nose enclosed, 18' I/O bow rider, and used to pull an 18' travel trailer with my FJ and prior to that a 24' travel trailer with my 2002 V8 Tundra extra cab (which tows the shit out of my current Tacoma DCSB). The Tundra was the bomb for towing.

8. Jun 1, 2012 at 7:00 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    buddy, you have all the weight on the frame of a midsize truck, and 2 tires.
    so tell us what would happen if a tire had a blowout?
    or if its raining hard and you get in a crosswind?
    I had a blowout on 95 and thank god I was in a duel wheel.

9. Jun 1, 2012 at 7:03 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    and you have all that weight on TWO TIRES. now if you can get a gooseneck or 5wheel set-up thats better, you have more wight pressing down on the entire truck not just the ass end.
    you have a blowout the ass end is going to drop futher and you can loose steering control.

10. Jun 1, 2012 at 7:09 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    and you can do what ever you want. but someone asked for help, and I am just trying to give some basic safe info. and some of the experience i have and the knowledge my uncle beat into my head for almost 18 years.
    as expensive as trucks and trailers are, and I have seen some nasty wrecks,
    I just want people to be as safe as can be.

11. Jun 1, 2012 at 7:45 PM
    kd8bao

kd8bao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Henry
    Cleveland
    Vehicle:
    2000 Excursion 7.3L - Ex '11 Taco DCSB
    As I am the guy pulling the 5500 dry trailer. I now have 6 trips from 1.5 - 2.5 hours each way. I feel very comfortable towing. I know it's there but comfortable. I have not actually gotten the trailer weighed when loaded. However we are lite campers.

-Only taking clothes we need for weekend
    -Getting food when we get close to camp.
    -We don't carry any water in the tanks.
    -at least half of the storage is not used
    -rear leaf tsb was done
    -load E tires
    -Reese dual cam 12000 round bar hitch
    -prodigy p3

Just a side note. Yesterday I went with a buddy to pick up a new trailer. It was a 30' TT. We hauled it with a diesel excursion. In my opinion my truck towed better than the full size.

12. Jun 1, 2012 at 9:14 PM
    sechsgang

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD OR 4WD 6spd
    Yes, even with a sway control setup. A sway control setup can only do some sway control, it *helps*. If you get a strong gust of wind hitting a 29ft travel trailer behind a Tacoma 90 degrees from the side going over a bridge - you better start praying and holding on for dear life. Not exactly what I envision to be an enjoyable camping trip.

13. Jun 1, 2012 at 9:16 PM
    sechsgang

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD OR 4WD 6spd
    Not trying to rain on your parade, but all is always good - until the unforeseen happens. You have no margin. That's the problem.
    I would recommend you go to the scales and get the weight of everything, including the individual axles. I did that, and I was very surprised. I was 400 lbs over the GVWR of the Tacoma with a 3,600lbs (empty) trailer, loaded at under 4,500 lbs (all measured).
    BTW: a 12,000 lbs hitch most likely has a 1,200 lbs tongue weigh rating. That is waaaayyyy too much for a Tacoma. You can actually do damage with that weight distribution setup.

14. Jun 1, 2012 at 9:23 PM
    MapleMoose

MapleMoose Drunk Canadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    West Kootenays
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma SR5
    3" Eibach Coils, 3" AP Springs, AP 6" Shackles Toytec Diff drop, BAMF Sliders, Deck plate mod,Volt meter, Highbeam mod, PIAA fogs, 18" Magnaflow, LED dash swap, Color matched Satoshi Grille, Custom Rear Plate Bumper
    Tongue weight is usually 10% of the GVWR. So it should be 600lbs

15. Jun 1, 2012 at 9:27 PM
    sechsgang

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD OR 4WD 6spd
    It is usually between 10-15% of total weight for travel trailers, most of the time more near the top end (13-15%).
    But yes, a WDH with a rating of 1,200 lbs of tongue weight has much too stiff bars for a Tacoma frame.
    A trailer rated at 5,500 lbs empty will be at more than 6,500 lbs, even with half the storage and the tanks empty. The 5,500 lbs empty weight does not include the air conditioner, propane, battery (or multiple batteries), or any other options. Not even the water in the water heater (which is not that easily drained on every trip). I bet the tongue would be at 700lbs or more, easily. That's too much to be called safe IMO .....

16. Jun 2, 2012 at 1:56 PM
    gologit

gologit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    In the redwoods.
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5 4x4 long bed
    Nothing major or fancy. Just stuff to make it work better for me. Running boards, seat covers, BakFlip
    Another thing to think about.

If you're towing and you exceed Toyota's allowable weight limits and you're involved in a wreck....what will your insurance company say?

Most policies have an exclusion section that lists the things they won't cover you for. On mine, if I'm towing in excess of Toyota limitations, I'm not covered. Better read the fine print.

Or not...your choice and your risk entirely.

17. Jun 2, 2012 at 5:56 PM
    kd8bao

kd8bao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Henry
    Cleveland
    Vehicle:
    The 5500 is the weight off the assembly line with all factory accessories, propane, battery, air conditioner, tv, fireplace, all power jacks and stabilizers and power awning. That is the finished weight. Nothing in holding tanks when towed.

18. Jun 2, 2012 at 7:54 PM
    Gregman

Gregman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Freddy Beach, NB
    Vehicle:
    05 DC LB 4x4 SR5
    So, when a trailer length is stated by a manufacturer, does it include the tounge part of the trailer as in from the rear bumper right to the hitch? Or does it just refer to the length of the box or deck or travel trailer cabin or whatever?

19. Jun 2, 2012 at 9:09 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    trailer length is from the nose(towing point) to the end of trailer.

20. Jun 3, 2012 at 8:24 PM
    kd8bao

kd8bao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Henry
    Cleveland
    Vehicle:
    As far as travel trailers are concerned mine is a 27BH. The box is 27' and OAL is 32' ball to bumper

Products Discussed in

To Top