1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

trailer lenth

Discussion in 'Towing' started by kar1025, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Jun 3, 2012 at 8:38 PM
    kcrob1

kcrob1 Choot It!

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Montgomery, TX
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT CC/LB
    Adjustable Billies, Debadged, Painted emblem on grille Kenwood Double din, polk components, co-ax, polk 8" sub & polk amp, TSB springs, 6000K hids, FJ Wheels
    My Taco cant pull a sick whore off the piss pot... I read these threads and think wtf how do these guys do it. 14' trailer with a washer and dryer 2 weeks ago. Mild winds and the truck wouldn't go over 72 mph with out turning 4200 rpms... its a v6:mad:

2. Jun 3, 2012 at 10:15 PM
    kd8bao

kd8bao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Henry
    Cleveland
    Vehicle:
    2000 Excursion 7.3L - Ex '11 Taco DCSB
    I dunno man. I have pulled the TT and been able to maintain 65-70 with no problems. I try and stay around 60-65 but I have noticed that around 67, it almost feels like a power band. I can pull a decent grade and maintain 65-70. I always tow in 4th. I tried 5th on a flat and the trams temp started to jump. I guess not enough circ in the cooler.

3. Jun 4, 2012 at 3:15 AM
    CantSitStill

CantSitStill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    FTR
    CNY

That trans temp on the flats should be your first indicator that you're pulling too much weight.
    Keep us posted on the longevity of your truck if you are regularly pulling this 27 footer at or beyond Toyotas max weight. This will be a real testament to Toyota if you don't cook your tranny or start eating bearings and suspension pieces.

4. Jun 4, 2012 at 10:39 AM
    sechsgang

sechsgang Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD OR 4WD 6spd
    I would be very surprised if that was true - as I have not heard of a single RV manufacturer who specs trailer weights like that.
    Only way to find out is to take it to the scales.
    A 12,000 lbs hitch is much too heavy for a Tacoma as well. These bars are rated at 1,200lbs tongue weight, right? Those things probably could bend your frame .... The Tacoma's short wheel base alone makes it unsafe to tow a 27' travel trailer. Yes, it will feel okay most of the time, until on that one bridge, there is that one wind gust hitting you in the side ....
    Scary stuff. Hope it works out for you and that you won't cause any damage or get into an accident.

5. Jun 5, 2012 at 5:53 AM
    kd8bao

kd8bao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Henry
    Cleveland
    Vehicle:
    2000 Excursion 7.3L - Ex '11 Taco DCSB
    The 5500 is the hand written weight off the line once all accessories are added. Dry weight is not the right term.

Products Discussed in

To Top