1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

trailer lights leaving me in the dark

Discussion in 'Towing' started by hroberts07, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Mar 19, 2011 at 8:29 PM
    hroberts07

hroberts07 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    hunter
    alabama
    Vehicle:
    07 dc tacoma trd
    i have an 07 tacoma double cab trd, it came with a towing package so the trailer lights " a 5 pin round style" are from the factory. Last night when i was pulling my boat back from the lake i noticed my trailer lights not working. Today i found that the ground had worn badly so i cleaned it up and fixed it. well the lights still didnt work. moving to the fuse box i found a blown 30a, replaced it and still nothing. finally i hooked the boat to my old 97 tacoma with the straight 4 wire connections and the lights work fine. so i know im not getting juice to the outlet on my newer truck but ive tried everything i can think of. any suggestions? i checked every fuse that had to do with towing, all turn signals and lights on the truck work fine. thanks in advance, hunter

2. Mar 19, 2011 at 8:32 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    do you have a multimeter? start with checking if any of the pins in the plug are getting power when they are supposed to. You might just have a short or something somewhere up the line.

3. Mar 19, 2011 at 8:44 PM
    hroberts07

hroberts07 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    hunter
    alabama
    Vehicle:
    07 dc tacoma trd
    i dont have a multimeter but i can get one. before i found that broke ground wire, i hooked my dads chevy up to it just to see and now his truck wont work either. so i blew something in his i guess. just wierd to me that my truck and his truck wont work. but my old truck will work. i had a blown fuse but that didnt solve it. sems like the lights would blink if i had a short. i dont know, im stumped

4. Mar 19, 2011 at 8:46 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    check the wiring on the trailer? look for shorts

5. Mar 19, 2011 at 8:48 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    weird. And you can just get a test light instead since it will be cheaper. Must be something with that 5th wire. Does the trailer have brakes?

6. Mar 19, 2011 at 8:53 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    im just going to throw this out there. but are you using an converter/adapter to go from 5 pin round to the 4 straight? if so maybe be something with the adapter. happen to a guy my dad works with. on he had a chevy.

7. Mar 19, 2011 at 8:54 PM
    hroberts07

hroberts07 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    hunter
    alabama
    Vehicle:
    07 dc tacoma trd
    no trailer brakes. and it was working fine, heck they were working tuesday night and not working last night. and when i hook it up to the old truck with the 4 pin they work perfectly, so i cant imagine it being in the trailer. i dont know, hopefully i can figure out something without having to re wire the thing,or take it to the shop. weathers pretty and im off work next week, i need to be on the river not under a new truck. its an 07 but i just bought it 3 months ago with 16k miles. i dont need problems already

8. Mar 19, 2011 at 8:58 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    definitely check over the trailer wiring since it messed up your dads truck too.

9. Mar 19, 2011 at 9:13 PM
    hroberts07

hroberts07 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    hunter
    alabama
    Vehicle:
    07 dc tacoma trd
    ok i have a confession to make. this is embarassing but i just went out there with a flashlight to look at it one more time. i was looking at the fuse diagram and noticed one for towing i didnt see earlier. well of course it was blown and now the lights work again. im sorry to everyone that just helped me out. it makes me feel good that i joined this forum less than an hour ago and i got strangers instantly trying to help. i appreciate it greatly. ill try to get some pics posted of the trucks next week and let you guys give me some ideas on mods. thanks again everyone

10. Mar 19, 2011 at 9:19 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    anytime! and welcome! glad you found out what it was.

Products Discussed in

To Top