1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trailer Maintenance?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by SManZ, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Nov 12, 2010 at 5:37 AM
    SManZ

SManZ [OP] Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    I've got a 5x8' open utility trailer, w/ no trailer brakes. Its made by Premier. What kind of maintenance do I need to do on this thing? I'm really wondering if the axles and bearings need to be greased. The hub has a little grease seal on it but I am not sure how to fill it after I remove the seal.

I tried contacting the manufacturer for an owners manual, but no luck there.

-Thanks!

2. Nov 12, 2010 at 5:46 AM
    Jreays

Jreays Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Sport Double
    With my boat trailers I like to pull the bearings out and clean out all the old grease every couple of years. I then repack the bearings. Makes me feel much better. You might also touch the wheel hub after driving for awhile. If its hot you have a problem! If you have never packed bearings just do a quick search on youtube.

3. Nov 12, 2010 at 5:50 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    If the trailer is new to you, I'd repack or replace the bearings. Sounds like you have a simple trailer so it shouldn't require much just tires and bearings.

4. Nov 12, 2010 at 5:56 AM
    Vidman

Vidman Protected by Glock

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    central Mass
    Vehicle:
    black TRD sport AC
    Not Enough
    Like he said

5. Nov 12, 2010 at 9:50 AM
    SManZ

SManZ [OP] Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    Cool :) Thanks guys, I'll pull a wheel off when I get back this weekend and see whats required to remove and repack the bearings. Do these generally require a bearing puller? I can get a packer - I've seen those at Adv Auto.

6. Nov 12, 2010 at 10:35 AM
    Jreays

Jreays Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Sport Double
    I not sure if you would need the puller. Ive never needed one. Ive always packed them by hand and never tried the packer.

7. Nov 12, 2010 at 10:52 AM
    phidauex

phidauex Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Boulder, CO
    Vehicle:
    '96 4x4 V6, manual, 201k
    Small lift and a topper!
    I'd also recommend going over the trailer's fasteners periodically - they vibrate so much that they tend to come loose faster than normal vehicle fasteners. I'd also give your coupler a good lubrication and adjustment at the same time - I've seen a lot of trailers come loose due to seized or too-loose couplers. The nut on the bottom of the "jaw" on most cheaper couplers can back out on it's own over time, and make the jaw too loose. You know it is right when it takes moderate force to close the coupler, verifying that the jaw has come down below the ball, but can still be done by hand (not stomping on it with your boot).

-Sam

8. Nov 12, 2010 at 10:55 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Does your trailer have a wood floor? If so I would recommend applying a wood sealer to it to prolong the life and keep it from cupping and rotting.

9. Nov 12, 2010 at 11:50 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    What type of axle is under it?

I had a car hauler and the axles were Dexter. Dexter website has some awesome literature and diagrams of their axles. Perhaps you should find out what axles you have and search for maintenance and diagrams.

The dexter axle trailers had bearings that needed repacked, retorqued, and seals replaced. No bearing puller needed (hub nuts). I went 1.5 years before doing that the first time after I bought it. Everything looked fine inside even after that long. Depends on how it gets used. Torqueing the wheel bearings is similar to torquing vehicle axle/hub bearings (I have a writeup if needed).

10. Dec 8, 2010 at 4:59 AM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    You generally will only need a bearing puller if you are going to remove the rear seal. I typically do not pull the rear when repacking bearings unless it is damaged but replace the front seal each time. Add a set of bearing buddies when you do the job (about $20) and get some lithium wheel grease. A little squirt every now and then will do ya.

Products Discussed in

To Top