1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trailer Tire Size

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Tactical_Panda, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Sep 21, 2020 at 9:00 AM
    Tactical_Panda

Tactical_Panda [OP] Armchair Anarchist

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Double Cab, Off-Road Edition
    AJT Designs Shifter AJT Designs Battery Hold-Down ARB Awning 2500x2500 ARB Twin Compressor w/ Slee Offroad Mounting Bracket Avid Brush Bar Avid Step Bars Black Rock Wheels Series 997 Type 8 Circuit Breaker/Relay Panel Custom TRD Decals Bulletproof Fabricating Raptor Grill Bulletproof Fabricating Cooling Panel Bulletproof Fabricating Tow Hook Duluth Trading Company Dog Hammock Exhaust Breather Mod eBay Special 3-Gallon Air Tank Expedition Essentials TPAM EZ Down tailgate damper Flagpole Mounts, Dual Foglight Mod Front Camera Rear Camera; full time available General Grabber tires Goat Armor Hella Supertone Horns Iggy Switch Panel Icon Dynamics Stage 3 Suspension Katskin Leather Interior KickAss camp shower LED Bed Lights LED Interior Lights Midland MXT275 GMRS Two-Way Radio OEM Audio Plus Reference 500 audio upgrade Plano Cases. 42" roof mounted, X2 Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Handle Prinsu Cab Rack Prinsu-like Shell Rack Redline Tuning Hood Struts Rigid Industries 40" Light Bar Rigid Industries Ditch Lights Rigid Industries Spotlights Toyota Bed Step UltraGauge EM Plus v1.4 Vixen Air Horns, Four-Trumpet Whole bunch of decals worth about 5HP each Yakima Road Shower, 10-gal
    I took my overland trailer to an event in Georgia over the weekend. It was 1200 mile round trip; all of it Interstate.

My trailer was built by a Jeep Guy and is set up with 5-lug hubs and has 35s mounted on Jeep wheels. My 2-gen Tacoma (4WD, V6, A/T) really had to struggle while trying to maintain 65-70mph speeds on the highway. It was constantly downshifting, even on moderate hills. I think I only got about 11 MPGs on this trip.

Now, my Taco has oversized tires (31s) and a lot of external mods which translates to extra drag. But I'm wondering if those 35s and their higher rolling resistance could be part of the problem. Eventually I want to convert the trailer to 6-lug hubs with wheels and 31s tires to match the truck.

Do you think smaller tires would lessen the drag/rolling resistance thereby making the towing easier?

Trailer 20-08-29.jpg

2. Sep 22, 2020 at 4:33 AM
    Nyneuro

Nyneuro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma
    none
    For highway no. Spinning at constant speed. Not like stop and go when you have increase / reduce energy.

Or i could be totally wrong.

3. Sep 22, 2020 at 4:38 AM
    six5crèéd

six5crèéd Shop Time

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce, or Crèéd, neither is correct.
    Southern Virginia
    Trailer tire size won’t affect your gas mileage. The weight of what you’re pulling, that changes your gas mileage.

4. Sep 22, 2020 at 4:55 AM
    LoveableWerewolf

LoveableWerewolf Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    2014 5 lug, 1989 mighty max
    4 runner seats, storage cubbies
    More or less that is what you should expect for mpg from what I've heard. I would stick with those wheels just because they are radial tires, make sure to never use bias plies of you can.

Products Discussed in

To Top