1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trailer weights confusing!!!

Discussion in 'Towing' started by brophy, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Feb 2, 2010 at 5:34 PM
    brophy

brophy [OP] Member

Member:
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab auto 4 cyl
    Hi. I'm a new Tacoma owner of a 2007 Access Cabm 4 cyl automatic. I get confused reading the owner's manual. On page 310 there are 2 yellow boxes. First it gives MGTW with and without towing package, and then in the second box it says that the combination should not exceed 7500 lbs-so is that the GRAND total (I think it is?)
    My title says my truck, which is very plain and does not have any trim or mechanical add-ons, weighs 3390 lbs. I saw a really nice ultralight travel trailer for a great price, a 25' 04 Fleetwood, that has 4160 dry weight. So does that mean it's too much (wet and w/cargo)? It's 7550 dry. Is it better to shop for something lighter or shorter to stay within the weight limits-or can I safely add something to the truck that would increase its towing capacity?
    I've done some reading and I have the impression that it's a BAD idea to have too much weight. I do intend to get the necessary itmes such as a transmission cooler, etc. Should I just look for a shorter, lighter trailer?
    I would appreciate all feedback, and even some suggestions about trailers. I want a small but complete trailer with a separate bedroom, bath w/shower, and ac/heat. No older than about 2004, in really good condition. I live in Florida, and will go almost anywhere in-state for a trailer.
    Thanks,
    brophy

2. Feb 3, 2010 at 4:51 AM
    boutdoors

boutdoors Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    02 4x4 2.7L Ext Cab SR5
    Hello, I am in the same boat, getting ready to purchase first travel trailer and towing with 4 cyl. Tacoma.

Your tow rating is 3500#. Not sure on your Gross Combined Weight, but its around 7500. So, you do not want to tow anything over 3500# with all the gear etc. and according to my research you want something closer to 3000#.

3. Feb 3, 2010 at 5:18 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    3500lbs is your towing capacity with a 4 cyl, more like 3000lbs when you take out weight of occupants and items in the truck.
    I don't think even with adding the tow package that the 4 cyl could handle more weight than that.
    http://www.toyota.com/tacoma/specs.html

I'm don't know a whole lot about towing, but we had a 23ft toyhauler (so less weight that a standard trailer trailer and towed with a half ton chevy and that was not a good thing at all! We then towed it with a 3/4 ton duramax and it handled fine, but you knew it was there. I don't know what our weight came out to be... We now tow a 30ft weekend warrior toyhauler and are loaded to the max for the 3/4 ton. Weight in those trailers adds up fast. Sounds like you need a bigger truck, it's going to be hard to find a small trailer under the tow capacity. Unless you go with something like this.. http://www.scamptrailers.com/
    http://www.casitatraveltrailers.com/showroom.html

A friend of ours is in the market for a trailer and they have a half ton chevy truck, we won't let them get bigger than 18ft.
    Even this 18ft trailer is 3200lbs dry.
    http://www.carsontrailer.com/subs/trailers/rv_sport/pull_front_kitchen/fr_rebel.html

I'm far from an expert in towing and not familiar with the 4cyl, so hopefully someone else will chime in here with more info.

4. Feb 3, 2010 at 5:28 AM
    boutdoors

boutdoors Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    02 4x4 2.7L Ext Cab SR5
    You do not subract the passenger weight in towing capacity. The passengers are added to the vehicles weight.

Example:
    Truck with passengers: 3900
    Trailer Weight: 3300
    Total Weight: 7200

Tacoma GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating): 7400

So, your trailer weight is under the 3500 and you are under the GCWR of 7400 so you are o.k.

5. Feb 3, 2010 at 5:33 AM
    OU812

OU812 ban the term murdered out

Member:
    First Name:
    danusa
    Kilroy was here
    Vehicle:
    13 DblCab LB 4X4
    Nothing yet, brand new!
    ^^^ True

Gross Combined Weight Rating = The total of all items including the curb weight of the power unit. This includes passengers.

6. Feb 3, 2010 at 5:45 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    My mistake..but you subtract occupants, etc. when calculating payload.

We are usually loaded to the max with occupants and the bed of the truck full and the trailer fully stocked and loaded, so we don't ever calculate them individually. We have almost 1300lbs in just liquids, gas/water :eek:.

But if your trailer weighs 3500lbs dry then you will be over your tow capacity. I'd like to see a 23ft trailer that weighs less than 3000lbs.

I've loaded my V6 Tacoma to capacity in both payload and tow (seperately), it handles 'ok' but not something I'd do for any distance or in other than optimal driving conditions.

7. Feb 3, 2010 at 5:55 AM
    boutdoors

boutdoors Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    02 4x4 2.7L Ext Cab SR5
    I am not advocating for a 23' trailer. I would say an ultralight t@b or similiar trailer. I am considering getting an airstream 16' trailer with a dry weight of 2897# and pulling that around with my 4 banger, but not convinced it will work yet.

8. Feb 3, 2010 at 10:42 AM
    brophy

brophy [OP] Member

Member:
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab auto 4 cyl
    Better safe than sorry-I am now looking at around 3000# dry. 18-19 feet unless it's super-light. I really want a bedroom, and don't care if the livingroom/dining are small. I plan to travel in weather that's not too cold most of the time and would probably want to use the outdoors as my sitting area, weather permitting. But when it's bedtime, I don't want to have to fold down or climb up. Just my preference.
    I'll just keep looking until I find what I want at the price I want!
    Thanks you everyone! I hope to stay in the range of 9-10 thousand, and preferably find something in Florida so I don't have to go too far to look at it.

9. Feb 8, 2010 at 5:48 AM
    fauskar

fauskar Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    Hitch
    If you look new, you find something. If used, maybe. Only recently have I found trailer manufacturers have started making lighter and more tow-able trailers.

10. Feb 20, 2010 at 4:03 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    One easy way to not go over your tow rating.....Find a trailer with a gross vehicle weight rating of 3500# or under. Keep in mind, most smaller travel trailers carry 250 - 400lbs of water alone. Plus cargo, clothes, the battery, and whatever else.

11. Feb 22, 2010 at 10:43 AM
    brophy

brophy [OP] Member

Member:
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab auto 4 cyl
    Hi there friends-I bought a Cikira 2007 BH trailer last week. It has everything I want, is light, and was barrely used. Looks brand new. I'm going to get the two package installed, and the trailer has sway control and levelers.
    I can't wait to get camping!:)

12. Feb 22, 2010 at 5:37 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    Is the GVWR on that unit 4900#? That is waaay over what your truck is suitable for.

13. Feb 23, 2010 at 4:57 AM
    brophy

brophy [OP] Member

Member:
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab auto 4 cyl
    I will double check, but I bought it at RV Kountry with the pickup right there. I would hope they would know what it could handle.....but, thanks, I will look into it.

To Top