1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trails and Garmin GPS units

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Explor, Dec 25, 2014.

1. Dec 26, 2014 at 3:11 AM
    PBR Streetgang

PBR Streetgang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Medford, OR
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC 4x4 TRD
    Icon stage 4 kit, Deaver J66 leaf springs, Firestone ride-rite airbags, Warn 9.5 XPS winch
    You still have the option of an external GPS antenna. Check out the Dual XGPS 150, they run about $100 or so, maybe less if you shop around. It's just a little square thing that sits in a rubber grip mat that sits on the dash so it can always get a satellite signal, and it connects to your ipad via bluetooth. I would buy one of those instead of a Nuvi.

2. Dec 26, 2014 at 8:30 AM
    Explor

Explor [OP] Don’t take the trip ... let the trip take you

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Northampton County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    FUN
    TRD valve stem caps , A Chimney & Back up camera. , Cooper STMaxx 255/80/17, SCS Dark Bronze wheels, , bed matt, weathertech floor liners and bug deflector , flyzeyez dash and glove box light , Best Top supertop, Brute Force Sliders , Bumpers ,KC back up lights, vent shades, tinting, superwinch 9.5 , Factor 55 winch thimble , KC ditch lights , BAMF IFS skid plates , Tepui Ruggedized RTT , Awning , Bed light kit , Hood Struts , Camburg UCAs ,Bud built gas skid , all pro differential skid , cbi jerry can holder , 15lb CO2 Tank , URD short shift , Defined engineering shackle bolt crossmember, Clazzio seat covers , 4:56 Nitro gears , ARB rear locker, CMKA12 compressor. Super Bump Stops, Bushwacker Flares , CBI bed rack , king resi front 700# , OME Dakar, Bilstein 6100's 10" light bar diode dynamics , AV monster fogs , TC bed reinforcement brackets , TC spindle gussets w swaybar Yeasue Ham , cb
    Final Outcome..... Called Apple today , checked serial # , ... I own the iPad 4 with WIFI only .... Went to Amazon and purchased this : Dual Electronics XGPS150A Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver for Portable Devices
    Paid $92 with free shipping and tax.
    Installed GAIA app and Maplets ..... I'm good to go now ... Just what I was looking for !!
    Thanks Andrew , and all who were kind enough to take the time to help me out here !!
    Hope this helps others as well .... Happy Exploring to all !! John aka: jonek (Johnny k )

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  3. Dec 26, 2014 at 2:13 PM
    Explor

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Northampton County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    FUN
    TRD valve stem caps , A Chimney & Back up camera. , Cooper STMaxx 255/80/17, SCS Dark Bronze wheels, , bed matt, weathertech floor liners and bug deflector , flyzeyez dash and glove box light , Best Top supertop, Brute Force Sliders , Bumpers ,KC back up lights, vent shades, tinting, superwinch 9.5 , Factor 55 winch thimble , KC ditch lights , BAMF IFS skid plates , Tepui Ruggedized RTT , Awning , Bed light kit , Hood Struts , Camburg UCAs ,Bud built gas skid , all pro differential skid , cbi jerry can holder , 15lb CO2 Tank , URD short shift , Defined engineering shackle bolt crossmember, Clazzio seat covers , 4:56 Nitro gears , ARB rear locker, CMKA12 compressor. Super Bump Stops, Bushwacker Flares , CBI bed rack , king resi front 700# , OME Dakar, Bilstein 6100's 10" light bar diode dynamics , AV monster fogs , TC bed reinforcement brackets , TC spindle gussets w swaybar Yeasue Ham , cb
    Now I'm playing around with Giai and can't figure out how to download maps into it ?
    I used Moab Utah as a start.
    In the search bar I typed in Moab Utah and it showed up along with trails ... Streets , POI's etc. , but I'm in my wifi home so how do I keep it there for future use ? When I won't have the wifi ?

Would also be nice if I could download large maps of say an entire state on a flash drive , then just label the drive to its corresponding region, state . There is no usb ports to plug into on an iPad.... So maybe there is a device that uses the pin connector port for this type of thing ?
    I'm just not savy enough for all this Hokus Pokus stuff !
    Heck .... I had to call apple to find out I have a 4 and not a 2 !!

In defense of my lack of knowledge.... I would have known had I saved the box *:)*

4. Dec 26, 2014 at 3:12 PM
    PBR Streetgang

PBR Streetgang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Medford, OR
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC 4x4 TRD
    Icon stage 4 kit, Deaver J66 leaf springs, Firestone ride-rite airbags, Warn 9.5 XPS winch
    On the upper left corner there is an icon that looks like a stack of papers. At the bottom of the maps list there is the Download Maps tab and My Maps tab. Download Maps lets you move and expand a red square over the area you want to download. It might take a few hours to download a lot of maps, you can see the download progress under the My Maps tab. These downloaded maps are the ones that will be available to use out in the wild.

5. Dec 26, 2014 at 5:00 PM
    Explor

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Northampton County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    FUN
    Your the Man Andy !!

6. Jan 3, 2015 at 12:20 PM
    Explor

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Northampton County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    FUN
    Up-Date
    Downloaded a map from my area for testing purposes.
    Nice Snowy Saturday morning.
    Went up north to a place where there are forest roads , very little traffic even when it's not snowing.
    Turned on the xgps150a and my iPad , enabled Giai and started playing around.
    It was a bit tedious figuring out all the functions , I'm by no means a Geek !
    This is the Way to Go !!
    I found where I was , how to make way-points , guidance from one waypoint to another, overview of where you are exactly .... and I mean Exactly .... Showed me ajoining roads which led me to making the right decision on which way to turn!
    A little tip : to have the map show your location and move the map along with your driving click on the little compass looking icon up in the far right corner. When it is colored red you will be in the mode just described . Shows your current position and advances the map as you proceed.
    Used @ 3% of my iPads power in 2 hrs.
    Handheld is good for hiking , iPad with satelites is Great !!
    I will throw my iPad in the pack next time hiking for sure.
    This is why good packs have pockets for tablets , I found out.
    I've learned so much here ! What a great safety device !
    Yeah, I have a magnetic compass in the pack too , but hope I never need it .
    As for somehow loosing power from the truck for re-charging devices , I carry one of those "Power Pac's" used for jump starting vehicles , it will power up a phone or iPad quickly too.
    I feel good about this setup and feel safer also.
    Highly Recomended ..... By Andrew and John !!
    Glad I started this thread

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  7. Jan 3, 2015 at 12:42 PM
    TheNatural

TheNatural Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Nelson, BC
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB
    Lots of bolt on chrome stuff
    Well I'm convinced. Now the only question is how to best display the app. Cell phone with a mount, get a tablet with a mount, or in dash iPad. Decisions decisions.

8. Jan 3, 2015 at 3:56 PM
    Explor

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Northampton County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    FUN
    Imo , the bigger the better , I always hated using the small screens of a phone or handheld.
    I already had an iPad so I put it to good use while out n about.
    If you have a laptop that would be nice too .... It's not like your always looking at it .i just look at mine when a decision has to be made.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  9. Jan 3, 2015 at 6:07 PM
    rka

rka PAVEMENT PRINCESS

Member:
    First Name:
    Rylan
    H A W A I I
    Vehicle:
    2013 SPORT DCLB
    100% Stock
    Thanks for posting this thread. I will probably copy your setup when I finally move to the Bay Area.

10. Jan 3, 2015 at 6:19 PM
    kai38`

kai38` Well-Known Member

Member:
  11. Jan 5, 2015 at 10:41 PM
    masonhiga

masonhiga Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCLB Sport 4WD
  12. Mar 29, 2015 at 12:49 PM
    Greenbean

Greenbean B.S. Goodwrench

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC 2.7L 5-spd 4x4 Utility Package
    Subd,

This is great information!

I found the Gaia GPS app in my Itunes store but there is also a "bundled" item with Offline TOPO Maps right now, basically it seems you get for 20 bucks what is normally 30.0
    Do we need to have the offline maps?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  13. Mar 29, 2015 at 3:54 PM
    Greenbean

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    Looks like there is a reason I was never able to sell my RAM iPad mount, hahaha
    I guess it needs to find it's new home on my TechDeck and give this a shot.

14. Mar 29, 2015 at 4:29 PM
    Explor

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Northampton County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    FUN
    For me it was a little frustrating to figure it all out , not a big learning curve ...maybe 1 or 2 hours intermittent . I just used it again yesterday on strange back roads , worked out well for deciding on which way to turn and where that turn will take you . Made the ride much more enjoyable.
    The hardest part for me was figuring out how to show my present location without searching and searching the map..... Simple as clicking on that compass icon in top right corner ... Turn it red ....
    Simply said , but me not knowing ... No instructions .... Was a hum dinger .... To figure out.. lol !!

15. Mar 29, 2015 at 4:56 PM
    Greenbean

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    Did you use the Offline TOPO Maps download or exactly what map database are you using in the background?

Thanks

16. Mar 29, 2015 at 5:16 PM
    Explor

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Northampton County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    FUN
    I used the map on Giai ... You can put a location in the search bar , then expand or decrease the shaded red area , hit download , give it a name , wait for download to complete. If away from home and have no wifi you will have to find a hot spot.
    I downloaded a whole state in @ 1/2 hour .....

17. Mar 29, 2015 at 5:35 PM
    2008taco

2008taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    san diego
  18. Mar 29, 2015 at 5:46 PM
    Greenbean

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    That is interesting,
    I love the idea of having a pre-planned area...

I love my Note 2 when it comes to GPS and Navigation however the data use is why I want a dedicated device just with maps and such in it.

19. Mar 29, 2015 at 5:48 PM
    Greenbean

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    This looks great however I am in NC, lol...
    Not much love for WNC or Eastern TN.

20. Mar 29, 2015 at 5:49 PM
    Snowman

Snowman I have a problem for your solution…

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Somewhere in Canada
    Vehicle:
    Check out my build
    Cool, I did not know that. I figured they would be the same as my phone where it shows my locations but wont download the map because I have no service in the woods.

Products Discussed in

To Top