1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Train horns... :D

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by NicNac22, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Jul 26, 2011 at 7:42 AM
    NicNac22

NicNac22 [OP] D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Wild and Wonderful
    Vehicle:
    95 V6 4x4 ex cab SR5 5sp PICKUP!!!
    fun stuff coming soon! New battery, radiator and CV joints and axles. Added some Rancho RS5000 shocks.
    So I've had my Blackie for a whopping 3 days...and ive had 4 people try to hit it!!!! OMG watch where you are going. One lady just decided to move over into my lane without even looking, I was blarring my horn at her and she never even looked!:mad: Just continued into my lane, thankfully it was becoming two lanes so I could move over and get into the left one that was opening up but still!! Oh and that was on the ride home from picking it up, had it for 2 hours. I was freaking out! Anywho, after i replace some of the innerds and the rear bumper...Im getting a flipping train horn! Cuz apparently the one on it isnt loud enough! It does kinda sound like the road runner, so i want something with a little more beef to it:D.

Sooooo.....any suggestions on which one?:rolleyes: I dont want to break the bank on it, i just want something loud enough to get your attention and maybe look over when your merging without checking your lanes first:D that lady scared the mess outta me, I thought i was gonna have a dent for sure. Thankfully Blackie is safe and sound. Do they make portable steel barricades I can put around it to protect him from the crazies:p

2. Jul 26, 2011 at 7:46 AM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    train horns are a little overkill, and you'll probably scare them so much they'll just hit you harder.

look into the Hella Supertones. they don't have the most manly tone to them, but they are rediculously loud. you see them on trophy trucks and rally cars all of the time....so they have been proven to be sufficient.

3. Jul 26, 2011 at 7:51 AM
    Johns Taco

Johns Taco I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 DSM Base SR5 Slug Taco
    Full custom stereo, onboard air compressor, train horns, spacer lift, 30" tires, optima yellow top, rear slider window & tailgate anti-theft mod, pop & lock, class 3 tow hitch, lights in bed, Ultra Gauge, Weather Tech mats, yellow fog lights, camper top, air lift rear airbags, rear diff breather mod, soon to be more...
    I have a train horn set I got from ebay that works really good, $275. I have since upgraded the airsource to be a little more useful. Most people here seem to be against them, but I won't hessitate for a second to use the on people that need to be "woke up" when their driving like idiots. :D

[​IMG]

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Jul 26, 2011 at 7:52 AM
    gooch14

gooch14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2011 Blk DC Taco SR5 4x LB
    Bestop, Child Seats, petrified french fry, dog hair, empty Mtn Dew cans cracked windshield, scratches.
    cruise liner horn. train horns are for wussies :D

5. Jul 26, 2011 at 7:59 AM
    NicNac22

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Wild and Wonderful
    Vehicle:
    fun stuff coming soon! New battery, radiator and CV joints and axles. Added some Rancho RS5000 shocks.
    hahahaha niiice

my buddy has them on his car and suv

its not like i ride around town honking my horn, but if i use it its for good reason. I mean my hood was right next to this ladies window and she did not even look!!!! I really dont care if other people like them or not, I just want opinions from anyone that has them on what they like...its not their truck, so if they dont like it they dont need to worry about. I know theres a switch you can put in where i can still have the stock horn on the steering wheel and the train horn on a switch for when i need it.

6. Jul 26, 2011 at 8:00 AM
    Johns Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    Full custom stereo, onboard air compressor, train horns, spacer lift, 30" tires, optima yellow top, rear slider window & tailgate anti-theft mod, pop & lock, class 3 tow hitch, lights in bed, Ultra Gauge, Weather Tech mats, yellow fog lights, camper top, air lift rear airbags, rear diff breather mod, soon to be more...
    LOL, I have actually really looked into these. Definitely more weight than the carrying capacity of my 4banger. I need a bigger truck!:ballchain:

7. Jul 26, 2011 at 8:03 AM
    NicNac22

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Wild and Wonderful
    Vehicle:

8. Jul 26, 2011 at 8:03 AM
    Johns Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    I have my train horns on a separate switch> I can picture my truck at the stealership being inspected when they test the horn, every mechanic in the shop would smash their head when the horns went off. Definitely on a separate switch.

9. Jul 26, 2011 at 8:18 AM
    gooch14

gooch14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2011 Blk DC Taco SR5 4x LB
    Bestop, Child Seats, petrified french fry, dog hair, empty Mtn Dew cans cracked windshield, scratches.
    If you don't want to deal with the compressors and all that stuff, you can pick up an electric fire department/police siren speaker package for probably less than $200. I have a 100W cone speaker (old, came over on the Mayflower) mounted behind my front bumper and it'll catch peoples attention when I hit the air horn. Just a suggestion, as I definitely wouldn't want to have to fill a tool box with a compressor and whatnot.

10. Jul 26, 2011 at 8:36 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Something to think about with these stupid drivers you make reference to, train horns are illegal and I'm sure you've seen the youtube videos with people driving around making people jump. Now think about doing that to someone behind the wheel who's already aimed at your truck. Before, if they hit you it was their fault for not paying attention, now, add train horns and you'd more than likely be found at fault so while I understand your intention, I don't think it's an overly effective solution. Look into supertones or a regular air horn meant for a big rig, train horns are just ridiculous and obnoxious.

11. Jul 26, 2011 at 8:51 AM
    Johns Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    Like I said, most people don't agree with the use of them. I personally will never own another truck without them, it is also extremely sweet to plug up my air hose and have 150psi to fill up a flat tire or just top them off. No more changing tires for a flat! The whole system has been win for me. For the record I do not go around blasting people for sheer enjoyment, people feed way too much into YOUTUBE.

12. Jul 26, 2011 at 9:19 AM
    NicNac22

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Wild and Wonderful
    Vehicle:
    I dont understand how I would be found at fault for the situation, if I honk my horn at them and they are already going to collide with me...makes no sence. Generally if im changing lanes and someone honks, i dont continue to change I move back into my original lane. And no one said I would be blasting them like I did with the stock horn, it would be a tap, its only to get their attention not deafen them. Theres no way it could be my fault they hit me if they were already going to just because I honked my horn at them, thats rediculous. I will check on the legality of them and wheather its all train horns or particular ones over a certain decible.

13. Jul 26, 2011 at 9:22 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    It'd be a decible thing, not all train horns. As far as your argument, if someone were changing lanes into you, you honk your regular horn, they stop changing lanes (in theory). If your horn scares them and they tell the cop that and claim thats why they hit you, you now have a fight on your hands. Maybe you would come out clean but if would now bring your vehicle's legallity into the picture so no, it's not that ridiculous... people have won cases with less and been ticketed for dumber things.

14. Jul 26, 2011 at 9:34 AM
    Killer

Killer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mobile, Al.
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 TRD V6 3.4L SR5 XCab Gold with Tan Int
    19,000 Original Miles, Factory Alarm, Factory Tow Package, Low Profile UWS Black Tool Box, 20ft. of Dynamat Xtreme, Pioneer Double Din DVD 3200BT, IPod Holder, Q Form Kick Panels, 3 Pairs of MB Quart component speakers, JL Audio Stealthbox, Alpine PDX-5 amp, PIAA Foglights, WeatherTech Floor Mats, Maxxis Big Horn Mud Tires 32 x 11.5 R x 15, Wet Okole Seat Cover for 60/40 Bench, 5100's Front & Rear, Wheeler's Single Leaf AAL, Warn 8,000 Winch, Warn Transformer Brush Guard, Stebel Nautilus Compact Horn
  15. Jul 26, 2011 at 9:35 AM
    Johns Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    Train horns are illegall here in VA and probably every other state in the U.S., only emergency vehicles and trains are alowed anything that loud. It is not illegall to buy them and drive around with them on your vehicle at the ready, I have not and would not recommed using them around the law. However when I do use them people tend to get away very quickly, with my many past experiences with them in use I would find it really impossible for someone to continue into your path or at your vehicle while hearing that. It fixes people and helps them make proper decisions while operating a motor vehicle.....as far as i'm concerned. Lol. I say get the horns! :thumbsup:

16. Jul 26, 2011 at 9:36 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    :laugh:
    If only it were that easy!

17. Jul 26, 2011 at 9:39 AM
    Johns Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, me too.

18. Jul 26, 2011 at 4:41 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    I had a dixie horn (the dukes of hazzard sound) in my truck for a solid 3 days. It was a POS wolo and it broke. I still haven't taken it out for some reason and I think it is the parasitic draw in my electrical system. It will die if it sits for more than about 3 days.

19. Jul 26, 2011 at 9:28 PM
    So.Cal Taco

So.Cal Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    So.Cal
    Vehicle:
    1996 4x4 v6
    Total Chaos Long travel Total Chaos Spindle Gussets, Nathan Air Chime K3LA's,Onboard Air system,K&N intake,Chuys 200 plus Amp Alternator,All Pro front Bumper,Lots of Dynamat,99 tacoma Gas Tank Mod ''Secret'' maybe I'll Tell
    Nathan K3La horns on my taco very loud check out Hornblasters.com

20. Jul 27, 2011 at 12:32 AM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    Defanitly go to hornblasters.com. my friend is considering the midgrade one ($500) for his v dub bus. However he's getting it to be a troll so he can drive past people and blare it and scare the hell of them. Go check out train horn fun on you tube, I. Gaurentee you won't use ur new horn for only "saftey" driving purposes lol.

Products Discussed in

To Top