1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

tranny almost overheating on my taco! HELP

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Tacohago, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Jul 30, 2018 at 8:39 PM
    Tacohago

Tacohago [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Vehicle:
    2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    Didn’t really know what category to put this in but I need some feedback...

So I’m driving back home from my cabin on the way back it was scorching hot 38 degrees Celsius
    I was going about 130-140km And my bully dog tuner said my transmission got to 104-105 degrees Celsius and said to pull over so I decided to slow down to about 80-90 km
    But every time I went up a hill it would go up so I had to slow down the hole time
    Not sure if my bully dog was correct but it scared me enough to not speed up
    But keep in mind I had two bikes in the back with gear and my taco only has about 135,xxxkm
    My bullydog is set at performance shift I’m thinking that might not be so good for the tranny
    Can anyone help me with this
    As I don’t think my tranny should be overheating that easily
    Thanks guys

2. Jul 31, 2018 at 9:15 AM
    vasinvictor

vasinvictor Junkie

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    '01 DCSB racetruck
    hx35 turbo, AEM F/IC, Transgo, custom converter, CalTracs, Elocker, 2-4" drop, 4x4 conversion (2023) on a new purple powdercoated fram, 255/55r18 street, 255/60r16 M&H Racemasters, 7.6 at 91
    It's fine. I would read into what "performance mode" does. It may allow the converter to unlock way easier to give you the feeling of "more power". You might try taking it out of O/D and see if temps go down. If the TC is locking and unlocking a lot on grades, that would be the reason for the heat up. 220* isn't too bad really though. At any rate, you might check your fluid level, and considering doing a drain and fill at the end of the summer because the hotter your fluid gets, the shorter it's useful life.

3. Jul 31, 2018 at 9:32 AM
    Tacohago

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Vehicle:
    2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    Ok so your saying the performance mode wouldt really make a difference and that’s it wasn’t hot enough to burn my tranny
    And I should get my tranny fluid flushed out every summer basically?

4. Jul 31, 2018 at 10:48 AM
    vasinvictor

vasinvictor Junkie

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    '01 DCSB racetruck
    hx35 turbo, AEM F/IC, Transgo, custom converter, CalTracs, Elocker, 2-4" drop, 4x4 conversion (2023) on a new purple powdercoated fram, 255/55r18 street, 255/60r16 M&H Racemasters, 7.6 at 91
    I'm not even saying get it flushed necessarily. A drain an fill every summer wouldn't hurt. Drain removes about 4 qts btw. Also I would contact the mfg of your programmer thing, and see what the "performance mode" does. Performance mode may be the root of your overheating. 220 is hot but also it's freakin hot outside. Also you're not sure where the temperature reading is taken from. I'm saying- it's hot, but don't freak out yet!

5. Aug 3, 2018 at 9:04 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Being an '09, it could also be low on transmission fluid, from the factory.

inwood customs likes this.
  6. Aug 3, 2018 at 7:26 PM
    Tacohago

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Vehicle:
    2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    Thanks guys I’m gunna look into it more this weekend I’ll keep ya posted
    Cheeers!!

Torspd likes this.
  7. Oct 7, 2019 at 10:26 PM
    cruisedon66

cruisedon66 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Near St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma Extra Cab 2WD A/T
    Defrost mirrors, compass/temp display rear view mirror, rear wiper on camper shell, trans.cooler.
    I know this us an old post. But I'd add a tranny cooler.

whatstcp likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top