1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tranny problem

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by stucksucksnayota, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Jun 10, 2011 at 5:22 PM
    stucksucksnayota

stucksucksnayota [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    14 Taco 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    OEM roof rack, Shorty antenna (eBay), soft tonneau cover, K&N drop in air filter, bed mat, interior LED lights, 5100's, MT tires to come soon!!!
    So today I was slowing down at a stop light and it felt like I hit a wash board section on a dirt road, looked down at my gauges and my tach was bouncing around 200 to 500 so I put it in neutral and the vibrating stops. Put it back in drive and the vibration starts again. Park my truck and check my tranny fluid and it is barely on the dipstick. So I fill it up with fluid to the right level and put it in gear and my truck stalls and dies does this in any gear but it idles fine in park and neutral.

About a month ago my tranny was clunking and shifting hard into od so I put some additive in it and changed the fluid (drained pan and refilled) checked the levels and everything was fine. Hasn't been leaking any fluid from what I can tell no spots on the driveway or anything. Ran fine after i changed the fluid then all of a sudden it does this today.

Anything thoughts of what it could be or what could have caused this?

2001 v6 4x4 auto tranny.

2. Jun 10, 2011 at 7:34 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 Auto Trans With Lots of Mods King Extended Travel COs Camburg Uniball UCAs Alcan Custom 8-Leaf Rear Spring Packs Fox 2.0 Resi Rear Shocks FrankenFab Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren bumps Toytec 1" Extended Shackle 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor 15x8 D Window Steelies 33" BFG KM2s Limited Edition Relentless Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Rugged Ridge 3" LED Pods w/Amber covers Mini D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4500K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Whynter 65 qt. Fridge/Freezer CVT Mt Bachelor RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack GM 140 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnaflow 18" Muffler Braided Steel Brake Lines AFE Pro Dry S air filter ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    In all honesty, it sounds more like an engine issue, not a tranny issue. Rough idle in neutral, wont run in drive/under load. Sounds more like ignition or fuel delivery. Any CELs?

3. Jun 11, 2011 at 4:08 PM
    bicklebok

bicklebok Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronnie
    Montgomery, AL
    Vehicle:
    2000 Xtra Cab 4x4 SR5
    What does it idle at in park?

4. Jun 12, 2011 at 4:17 PM
    stucksucksnayota

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    OEM roof rack, Shorty antenna (eBay), soft tonneau cover, K&N drop in air filter, bed mat, interior LED lights, 5100's, MT tires to come soon!!!
    It's idles fine in neutral. I may have made a typeo in my first post but in park and neutral it idles fine and when I apply the tranny load it stalls and dies. It seems like something in the tranny isn't spinning that needs to be spinning.

5. Jun 12, 2011 at 4:21 PM
    JayARRGHH

JayARRGHH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Bellingham, MA
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5 TRD
    285/75/R16 Eldarado MTZ, Alpine CDE-102 Deck, DIY Snorkel, 2" Spacer Lift, Uniden Bearcat 880 CB, Custom over head console w/ map lights, CB Mount, and external CB speaker, 2 12" Kenwood Subwoofers, 300 Watt Alpine Amp, Alpine 3" lift 500# capacity
    any metal shavings in the pan? Anything you did to lead up to this event? I usually do something stupid to cause pain to my truck, thats not to say the same for you, but just process of elimination ya know?

6. Jun 12, 2011 at 6:35 PM
    stucksucksnayota

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    No metal shavings and the fluid doesn't smell burnt or anything. And there's nothing I cant think of that I would have done.
    It just acts like when it's in gear the tranny is locked up and something isn't spinning so it stalls the engine.

7. Jun 12, 2011 at 6:49 PM
    Blumpkinson

Blumpkinson Fuelled by plutonium and wild animals

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    OR
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 5spd
    Have you tried revving the engine up when it's in neutral or park?

8. Jun 12, 2011 at 7:53 PM
    JayARRGHH

JayARRGHH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Bellingham, MA
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5 TRD
    285/75/R16 Eldarado MTZ, Alpine CDE-102 Deck, DIY Snorkel, 2" Spacer Lift, Uniden Bearcat 880 CB, Custom over head console w/ map lights, CB Mount, and external CB speaker, 2 12" Kenwood Subwoofers, 300 Watt Alpine Amp, Alpine 3" lift 500# capacity
    hmmm...auto or manual?

9. Jun 12, 2011 at 8:56 PM
    stucksucksnayota

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    It's a v6 auto
    Yes it revs fine but there is a rattling noise coming from the tranny it sounds like.
    I have been out of town for the weekend so I got home tonight and was unloading it from The trailer and when I went to start the truck. It idled very rough in park and neutral and when I put it in gear it still stalls.

10. Jun 13, 2011 at 7:25 PM
    stucksucksnayota

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Well after talking to some people about my problem i think that my torque converter is locked up.

Has anyone every put a torque converter on?

11. Jun 15, 2011 at 9:50 AM
    jvallin

jvallin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joey
    turlock CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Dcab SR5 4x4
    K&N intake, Magnaflow, HID conversion, 265/75/16 MT, PIAA driving lights, Optima red top, billstein 5100's @ 2.5 and pro comp 2" AAL.
    Yes it is a real pita. You have to remove the tranny and tcase. It took me 2 days to do it. A few things to keep in mind, have acess to impact tools they will make it alot easier. Also do yourself a favor and buy a 3 or 4 foot rachet extension to reach the top bell housing bolts. There are 2 diffrent torque converters that came on these trucks but they are not intefchangeable so make sure you have the right one. DONT BUY AUTOZONE CRAP! I cant stress this one enough! They are cheap and you will get what you pay for. Go to toyota or levelten. Make sure you prefill the new converter with fluid before you put it in, also make sure it seats into the pump all the way (three clicks while rotating). If you have any more questions email me at ki6pyr@gmail.com and I will give you my phone number. Good luck!

12. Jun 15, 2011 at 10:00 AM
    kinetik873

kinetik873 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Springfield, Va.
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD
    OME 3" lift, ARB bumper,DTRL, CB radio in console, 5lb fire extinguisher in bed. SockMonkey decals, Allpro rear bumper, UWS 42" bed box, Wet Okoles all around, snorkel, Pioneer Av3200, ..yadda yadda yadda
    Look for the Adams apple....oh wait, nevermind.
    Hope you get it fixed

13. Jun 15, 2011 at 10:13 AM
    kbp68

kbp68 hey...I can change this!

Member:
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road DC/SB
    3" Pro Comp Lift/Level, ARB Winch Bumper, Superwinch UT3000,White Sport Grille, Bedliner'd rocker panels, Draw-Tite brake controller
    ...and you know this how?

14. Jun 15, 2011 at 10:34 AM
    nomad_archer

nomad_archer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Brickerville (Lititz), PA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC Tacoma V6 SR5
    I had the same problem but on a ford taraus. Based on what you describe the problem I had was identical. I added tranny additive and everything. I was ready to replace the tranny actually had one in the driveway.

Turns out my problem was an ignition problem but sure as hell felt like a tranny issue. I changed my plugs, wires and fuel filter and the issue went away. Just a fyi may want to try that because its alot cheaper and easier than a torque converter.

15. Jun 15, 2011 at 7:33 PM
    stucksucksnayota

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Well I took my tranny pan to a buddy who has a transmission shop in town and he started looking at the metal junk that were stuck to the magnets on the bottom of the pan, and from what it looked like they were piece from my planetary gear probably my od because it had shift into od hard a few times about a month ago. Then we found a piece that looked to be part of a bearing, so my guess is that the metal shaving have clogged up my torque converter and that is why it isnt working. So I am just going to have him tear apart my tranny and rebuild what needs to be fixed. I figured with almost 230k on it, it was about time for something to give.

To Top