1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tranny Squeal and Shaky Front-End

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by textoytaco, May 13, 2009.

1. May 13, 2009 at 4:15 PM
    textoytaco

textoytaco [OP] Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4
    Sorry to say, but I wrecked my 08 Taco last November. The right, front-end of my beloved truck was struck pretty hard by a little Ranger. (His truck was totaled, while I drove away in mine.) I had the truck repaired at a Toyota dealership and everything looks good. However, I've noticed a couple of problems.

First, occasionally I'll get a very loud, high-pitched squeal that sounds like it's coming from right in front of the gear shifter. It will squeal for about 2 seconds and then stop. This only happens when I am motoring down the highway, never at idle. And it may happen three times on one trip and not happen again for long time. I'm stumped.

Second, my front-end shakes when I drive between 60 and 70 mph. The dealership that did the repairs said everything up front checks out. I've had the tires balanced and rotated. It still shakes.

I need some leads on what could be causing these symptoms. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. May 13, 2009 at 4:21 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    The shaking could be any number of things, frame tweaked, imbalence in the tires, alignment off, your tires wear pattern off... also if you have off road or at tires they'll end up doing it as well.

The squeak... look at the belts recently? Hard to say without hearing it but... dunno. Also look around for any metal/metal contact wear.

To Top