1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tranny TSB for frustrated Tacoma owners

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by slewis01, Nov 28, 2009.

?

Do you feel Toyota scripts their service Dept. when they have no answer?

Poll closed Dec 28, 2009.
  1. Yes

67.7%
  2. No

10.8%
  3. Sometimes

21.5%
  1. Nov 28, 2009 at 8:35 PM
    slewis01

slewis01 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Finger lakes region NY
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma 4X4
    Towing Package, AVS air vents
    All fellow Tacoma owners. After reading many of your issues with the tranny problems downshifting and the high revs, I fought week after week with my dealer and the service dept. same story about drive by wire & that's normal. Well, I'm an old flight engineer who has two engineering degrees and also knew fly by wire before the auto industry even implemented it.

To make a long story short, I followed all the processes of taking in my vehicle in when it did not work correctly and after the same scripted excuses I heard as my fellows Tacoma owners (on this site) my attorney in NY advised me that one more incident and I could file with the NY attorney generals office for the lemon law ( I bought this new for >$30,000.00 I expected some satisfaction). Well once I advised my dealer that I was moving forward, low and behold Toyota now has a Toyota Service Bulletin to fix this issue.

So, all of you that have this same problem that I have read on this site, please go to you dealer and do not let them blow any smoke your way.

I still have to wait for my sound system to be replaced as they say it will take until January, 2010. I only have been waiting since May 2009 when I bought this. Toyota is aware of the issue, but they do not notify we the loyal customer. They wait until our voices are heard or people get injured such as in the case of the floor mats and accelerator peddles.

Good Luck in your endeavors to get repairs and if you need to find the TSB # your dealer should beable to provide it to you for the tranny.

2. Nov 29, 2009 at 5:02 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    If you have an issue call Toyota's 800 number and file a complaint. If a dealer gives you problems try another dealer. This may come as a surprise but dealers do not like to do work for free.

This is assuming that it is more cost effective to sweep it under the rug until there are multiple deaths and that Toyota had prior knowledge of an issue for which we do not know. I will tend to believe that this may have been the case but I have yet to experience this happening.

This is how TSBs are issued. By multiple complaints from consumers. If the manufacturer does not hear from the consumer then it is difficult to determine if there is a consistent issue or flaw.

I'm glad you got the tranny TSB done as I have as well. I hope everything works out with your stereo. Is it just a bad HU?

3. Nov 29, 2009 at 5:04 AM
    dexterdog

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    It only pertains to the 2009 model year at this time so I am not too surprised the dealer gave you problems.

4. Nov 29, 2009 at 8:30 AM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud I'm back.

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    Chula Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Off Road DCSB
    Stock. Purchased 2/17/19. Cement!
    Should there be a TSB on the tranny, Im sure it won't cover an 06 model year or older Tacoma simply because of mileage. Assuming you're under 36K, then you're covered. I'm at 91K miles now. It should be an actual recall and not a TSB! Damn it Toyota! Why???

I really hope there is an undercover Toyota executive here in TW who is gathering information on its customers and then reporting it to their corporate headquarters about issues and concerns we have. Sorry for the rant.

5. Nov 29, 2009 at 8:40 AM
    dexterdog

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Actually, it falls under the powertrain warranty which is something like 8 or 9 years and 80k miles or something like that.

6. Nov 29, 2009 at 1:12 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    I've certainly got the high rev's thing going on when I roll a stop or make a turn and accelerate with my 09. What's the TSB number? Did this just happen?

7. Nov 29, 2009 at 3:47 PM
    dude051

dude051 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    '10 PreRunner TRD
  8. Nov 29, 2009 at 10:01 PM
    Cwhitt09taco

Cwhitt09taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab Tacoma TRD Offroad 4wd
    Stock for now. Bfg at's, aries bull bar, aries nerf bars, uws tool box.
    i hope fix mine next time i go in for warranty work. dude051 is that the tsb print out to give to the dealer to fix the problem?

9. Nov 30, 2009 at 9:21 AM
    dude051

dude051 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    '10 PreRunner TRD
    As far as I know, yes. Just print that out and take the TSB to your dealer. The number and info needed is on there. I am currently trying to get this work done on my '10, but am having to fight since the TSB is for '09. Either way, its in the computer and they are aware of the issue.

10. Nov 30, 2009 at 3:40 PM
    Cwhitt09taco

Cwhitt09taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab Tacoma TRD Offroad 4wd
    Stock for now. Bfg at's, aries bull bar, aries nerf bars, uws tool box.
    ok im going to print that off and see what happens

11. Dec 22, 2009 at 2:26 PM
    dwzild

dwzild Well-Known Member

Member:
    Metairie, LA
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM 4x4 Sport DC LB
    Hoo-rah! Sticker, Front Bed-bolt D-rings, Bed Mat, Weathertech Floor Mats, Sirius, TACOMAWORLD Sticker, Bak-Flip F1

Same here. Same truck, Sport model. Brought my truck in for it's 1st oil change and had the reflash done with no issues. Thes service advisor wasn't aware there was a TSB out for the 2010's. Once he looked it up and found it, he told the tech to knock it out during the oil change. Complete visit took less than half an hour. Much better shifting in the 20mph and below area. I notice the difference every time I drive it.

12. Dec 22, 2009 at 8:27 PM
    Yuma Taco

Yuma Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Yuma, Az
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner DC TRD
    35% tint windows, OEM black running boards, OEM black roof rack, Foglight mod, De-badged & Sockmonkey Horns decals added, Two ammo box storage units (removed), 110 volt & 12 volt outlets for back seat area, EGR Slimline inchannel visors (all windows), Fold-A-Cover G4, Tonneau, Bedmat.
    I took my 09 in for the oil leaking from the tranny/driveline seal. I had a photo of oil where I said it was.
    I also said my rear woofer was blowing out at times with CD and some XM music.
    I also said the I bottomed out a couple of times with a load.

I wanted the seal and speaker fixed and I was just going to see what they said on the springs..........

An hour later they said I did have the three problems and that they had all the parts in stock (Oil seal, Amp & springs). I picked the truck up a few hours later and it was even washed. :eek:

No problems..... No waiting for parts or an OK.

I'm sorry to hear about all of the others problems. :eek:
    As for the latest tranny issue, I've never felt a problem with mine when I'm slowing (down shifting)

Good Luck, I for one voted NO in this poll.

Yuma Taco,

13. Dec 22, 2009 at 8:33 PM
    Super Werty

Super Werty Sleeper 4x4

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Tacoma
    air and fuel
    So has anyone asked if this TSB is only for 09 and 2010 models?

Im curious what exactly changed since 05-08 models that they forgot to add in 09, 10

14. Dec 22, 2009 at 9:39 PM
    NAYo2002

NAYo2002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Michelin LTX A/T2, TRD Skid Plate, WeatherTech DigiFit Liners, OEM Bed Extender, OEM Bed mat, Advantage TorzaTop Trifold Tonneau, Pop & Lock PL5300
    I didn't even mention the TSB. I just told them it shifts weird during low speeds and let the tech guy take it out for a spin. He researched it and told me about the "service bulletin." He got it done right away and even threw in a free car wash.

I just played dumb the whole time since the guy seemed to be very happy that he found a solution to my problem. I didn't want to steal this thunder and let him know I already knew about the TSB.

15. Dec 24, 2009 at 4:54 AM
    sotol

sotol New Member

Member:
    Oakwilt, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4X4
    I just had the ECM flashed at the dealer and it made all the difference. Also, it seems like the whole shifting sequence, either up or down, is much smoother. I took a copy of the TSB in with me. No hassle.

16. Dec 24, 2009 at 5:53 AM
    Redsoxnation

Redsoxnation Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pa.
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD 4X4 Impulse Red
    none yet...
    Hey Guys... I have a 2006 4x4 TRD I have that STOP LIGHT lurch thing going on while braked.. and the slipping from high to low while slowoing for a turn and accell again.. I tried the link for the TSB but it's off line now anybody have a good link to that TSB and will they check out the 2006 models? Thanks RSN

17. Dec 24, 2009 at 4:22 PM
    NAYo2002

NAYo2002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Michelin LTX A/T2, TRD Skid Plate, WeatherTech DigiFit Liners, OEM Bed Extender, OEM Bed mat, Advantage TorzaTop Trifold Tonneau, Pop & Lock PL5300

Just try explaining the problem to the dealer and don't even mention the TSB. If they are trying to keep a customer, they will help you without problems.

18. Dec 27, 2009 at 8:29 AM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    The TSB has no VIN range, therefore it is for anyone having this issue......

19. Feb 21, 2010 at 10:07 PM
    nimetzz

nimetzz Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD OffRoad V6

Products Discussed in

To Top