1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trans Dapt Oil Filter Relocation Install

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by wesb1023, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Jan 23, 2012 at 3:05 PM
    wesb1023

wesb1023 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Westley
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab
    I installed the kit, then changed the oil. I didnt have to add any additional oil, however if you wanted to you can use a larger filter such as a napa 1515 which is the same as say a motorcraft fl1a. I am sure you would have to add more oil then. You can use any oil filter that is threaded 3/4x16, as long as the gasket seals on the flange. Or you could go with the dual filter kit from trans dapt. I dont know of any other issues.

2. Jan 23, 2012 at 3:16 PM
    BAZZMAZZA

BAZZMAZZA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 and then some...
    OME-882 Coils + Nitro- Sport shocks, ARB Compressor, Spare fuse box, ALL-PRO Bedrack

Great thread! I will have to check and see if it could be mounted to the back firewall upside down with a bit of elevation so when you shut the engine down the hoses and the filter would drain back in the pan. This would make for a clean and fast oil change.

3. Jan 23, 2012 at 4:42 PM
    wesb1023

Member:
    First Name:
    Westley
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab
    I think there is plenty of hose to do this, however you may need to reconsider your reason for doing it this way. When your oil drains back to the pan, it creates a dry start. Most filters have a check valve to prevent this from happening......Or did you mean the oil would drain back when changing the oil? I really dont think it matters where you put it or how, but personally I like to fill my filter with clean oil when I install it....now I can with it sitting upright. :D

4. Jan 24, 2012 at 12:56 PM
    BAZZMAZZA

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 and then some...
    OME-882 Coils + Nitro- Sport shocks, ARB Compressor, Spare fuse box, ALL-PRO Bedrack
    I use toyota filters and I have not seen a check valve in any filter that I have changed. I really would not think there is much diffrence between where it is located on the block in a stock configuration then extending it with hoses to the firewall. When you turn the engine off in a stock configuration most of the oil drains back to the pan anyway, whats left is just residual due to its horizontal mounting location. If the Trans-Adapt vertical / upside down configuration could damage your engine I would think the manufacturer would caution the buyer against it. Just my thoughts maybe someone more knowledgable here in the forum can chime in.

5. Jan 24, 2012 at 2:26 PM
    wesb1023

Member:
    First Name:
    Westley
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab
    Toyota filters are equipped with a check valve or anti-drainback valve. Any quality filter is....That doesnt mean that the oil will not drain back as say overnight because it will, I know this because I can remove my filter after it has set all night and it will be practically empty just like you said. I completly agree with you that this kit can be mounted like you described and it will not harm your engine as long as a quality filter is used.....thats basically how it is mounted from the factory. All I meant was to take caution in choosing a filter, and a toyota filter is a very good choice. That being said, the stock location/orientation is one of the reasons I wanted the relocation kit....because I just PERSONALLY dont like a filter being mounted upside down like that, nor the mess that comes with it. To each his own...if thats how you wanna mount yours...that is more than OK with me, just a matter of opinion I guess. ;)

6. Jan 24, 2012 at 6:41 PM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    Incorrect. Check out chris4x4's oil fiter comparison.

This ^^.

7. Jan 24, 2012 at 7:10 PM
    BAZZMAZZA

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 and then some...
    Thanks for the oil filter information / review. Did not know they actually had a anti-drain valve and bypass valve in them. Cool, I will just mount it rightside up to the firewall with the hoses at some elevation to allow at least the hoses to drain back.

Glad we discussed this my first oil change would have been a complete mess!! hah hah

8. Jul 10, 2012 at 2:17 PM
    2k4Taco

2k4Taco IG: Swannybruh

Member:
    First Name:
    Swanny
    Fleming Island, Fl
    Vehicle:
    16 DC TRD Offroad 4x4
    Icon 2.5s / 2.0's / //Dakar HD Pack//CBI T3 Front/ ATH HC Rear//SPC UCAs/ Camburg LCAs// MR312s w/ 34in Yoko GeoLndrs
    OP Have you have any leaking problems with this kit? I noticed that you used thread tape on all the fittings so I was curious to see if it was leaking at all. Also, the hoses that came with the kit you mentioned were pretty long, long enough to reach the inner frame rail? Thanks man and great write up!

9. Jul 10, 2012 at 2:54 PM
    mrp192

mrp192 REALLY!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Cheney WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma Dbl cab long bed.
    Hood Strusts, remote Start, truck came with Leveling kit and wheels.
    I just installed my kit a few weeks ago. So far no leaks but I did use 3 wraps of tape. I also cut down the hose maybe 10".

10. Jul 10, 2012 at 3:09 PM
    wesb1023

Member:
    First Name:
    Westley
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab
    I actually did have a leak when I first installed the kit. I did like the directions said with the teflon tape....and it leaked when I first started it. I then removed it and wrapped the tape like I would wrap anything else 3 or 4 rounds and I have not had any problems since. I have put around 15k miles on it since the install with no trouble. I ended up leaving the hoses the same length and I also did like twfsa suggested and cut the corner of the skid plate to change the oil without removing the skid plate. So far so good, I am pleased!!

11. Jul 10, 2012 at 3:15 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    It's advisable to keep the hoses as short as possible and minimize the filter's height different relative to the OEM location. Without knowing the OEM oil pump's specs, it's hard to say how much margin it has, before the additional friction- and head losses cause oil starvation.

12. Jul 10, 2012 at 3:39 PM
    mrp192

mrp192 REALLY!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Cheney WA
    Vehicle:
    Thats why I cut mine down.. plus I think it looks better..

13. Jul 10, 2012 at 3:55 PM
    wesb1023

Member:
    First Name:
    Westley
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab
    I will shorten mine....when I remove it again for whatever reason.
    @mrp192 How did you cut yours? Was a special tool needed to install the ends after you cut it or not?

14. Jul 10, 2012 at 3:59 PM
    mrp192

mrp192 REALLY!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Cheney WA
    Vehicle:
    @wesb1023 just cut from the fitting down. Then cut the length, dip hose end in oil and press the fitting in the hose

15. Jul 10, 2012 at 5:38 PM
    wesb1023

Member:
    First Name:
    Westley
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab
    Thats what I figured, I have used this type of hose before and didn't need a special tool. I think the people at trans dapt said that I needed a special tool so I would purchase a shorter hose kit.:rolleyes:

16. Jul 10, 2012 at 6:19 PM
    mrp192

mrp192 REALLY!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Cheney WA
    Vehicle:
    @wesb1023 I know for AN hose fitting you need a special tool. And I know some rubber hoses have a crimp sleeve. But mine just had a slip on fitting and you should too.

17. Jul 10, 2012 at 7:16 PM
    2k4Taco

2k4Taco IG: Swannybruh

Member:
    First Name:
    Swanny
    Fleming Island, Fl
    Vehicle:
    16 DC TRD Offroad 4x4
    Icon 2.5s / 2.0's / //Dakar HD Pack//CBI T3 Front/ ATH HC Rear//SPC UCAs/ Camburg LCAs// MR312s w/ 34in Yoko GeoLndrs
    Thanks guys for the reply! I was thinking about mounting it to the inner frame rail and making a small metal shield for it but if thats to far for the stock pump ill have to consider another location.

18. Jul 10, 2012 at 7:34 PM
    mrp192

mrp192 REALLY!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Cheney WA
    Vehicle:
    Here is where I mounted mine. I used the stock hole in the frame rail no need to use 3 holes.

[​IMG]

Rldanie likes this.
  19. Jul 11, 2012 at 3:58 PM
    wesb1023

Member:
    First Name:
    Westley
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab
    I like the cleaner look of the shorter hoses, I think I will have to make time to do this. What kind of electric fan is that? Thats another thing on my list.

20. Jul 11, 2012 at 4:35 PM
    mrp192

mrp192 REALLY!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Cheney WA
    Vehicle:
    I got this dual fan and this thermal switch. Then I made my own relay setup If you want my relay setup let me know and ill try to draw it up some time..

Products Discussed in

To Top