1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trans Fluid Leaking From Somewheres

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Luke Jackson, May 1, 2010.

1. May 1, 2010 at 12:53 AM
    Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson [OP] Member

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    09 Dbl Cab TRD Sport
    Bilstien 5100's up front, rear leaf TSB in back. FJ wheels painted black. ARE topper with Thule rack
    Stats: 09 TRD Sport Dbl Cab sb auto
    I have searched and searched on this topic and only found a couple similar threads. I was hoping to find some more input/opinions as to what my problem might be. Here's the history: I noticed tranny fluid on the cross-member when I changed my oil at about 5000 miles. It wasn't dripping per se, but really noticeable. I took it in, the dealership re-torqued the trans-pan bolts. Next oil change I notice the same leakage. I took it back in. The dealership changed the trans pan gasket. 3 days later, I check and the same leak. The dealer changes the gasket and pan. 3 days later same leak. Now they have re-sealed the tranny, the trans pan, the rear shaft seal and pretty much any seal involved with the trans. I am at a loss as to where/what is causing this leak. Illinois lemon laws suck and aren't really an option at this point. I am only hoping that someone can share a similar experience and what the remedy was.

2. May 1, 2010 at 12:59 AM
    Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson [OP] Member

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    09 Dbl Cab TRD Sport
    Bilstien 5100's up front, rear leaf TSB in back. FJ wheels painted black. ARE topper with Thule rack
    Further info: the leak kept presenting itself along the rear passenger side of the trans pan gasket/seal. Thats what lead to all the pan/gasket replacement remedies. I figure its got be a seal gone wrong from the factory but I'm not sure where/which one it might be.

3. May 1, 2010 at 8:37 AM
    dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313 Well-Known Member

Member:
    id look into federal lemon laws and see if that can help you. look under magnuson moss warranty act.

4. May 1, 2010 at 9:55 PM
    Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson [OP] Member

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    09 Dbl Cab TRD Sport
    Thanks for the info. I have driven it about the length that it took to get it to leak before with nothing leaking yet. I'm hoping this is the end of it and there wasn't any significant damage to the transmission from running short on fluid, which the tech said wouldn't really be an issue. Only time will tell and it will be interesting to deal with if the transmission goes out after 50,000 miles and is out of warranty. If anyone else has any ideas, I'd be happy to hear them.

5. May 2, 2010 at 12:43 PM
    Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson [OP] Member

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    09 Dbl Cab TRD Sport
    Its been a couple days since I picked up my truck and this would usually be when the leak would start to show. So far so good. Dry as a bone. They put the orange sealant all over the place. Not excessive or anywhere it shouldn't be. They just didn't skimp. They even put on both sides of the trans pan gasket. So, without trying to jinx myself, it looks like the leak has been fixed. The tech did say that the sealant looked a little thin in the area where the leak was coming from, which means this was a from the factory issue. Toyota quality?

6. May 2, 2010 at 12:50 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

It's probably the transmission.

7. May 5, 2010 at 8:12 PM
    toast

toast Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hmm maybe you can help me out... 09 AC with 28k, just noticed this today after a year of owning it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

F$ck I'm so pissed at how much fluid there is all over everything. Taking it to the dealer ASAP.

8. May 5, 2010 at 8:14 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Jesus fucking christ. Maybe YOU can help US out and resize those pics?!

9. May 5, 2010 at 8:20 PM
    toast

toast Well-Known Member

Member:
    I ninja'ed while you were posting. Maybe you can help us out and take the sand outta your vag.

10. May 5, 2010 at 8:23 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM Roll Tide

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4x4 Blown Honda VTEC V8
    trd exhaust,step bars,vent visors,bed lights,tailgate mod
    crap,i'm blind

11. May 5, 2010 at 8:27 PM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD
    Do you have a PreRunner ? If yes, check this thread : http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/45728-new-tsb.html

12. May 5, 2010 at 8:30 PM
    toast

toast Well-Known Member

Member:
    I do, you're the man thank you. Honestly this is the first new vehicle I have ever owned and when I saw how much fluid was down there I was like WTFFFF. I want to make the dealer get under there with some Engine Brite and clean that shit up. I'm serious :mad:

13. May 5, 2010 at 8:34 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    I would've, but I had nowhere to put it with your pics taking up all the space.

14. May 5, 2010 at 8:39 PM
    toast

toast Well-Known Member

Member:
    Size does matter I guess :D

I should be one to talk, bitchin about all this tranny fluid. I'm about to nickname my truck aunt flow.

15. May 6, 2010 at 11:24 AM
    Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson [OP] Member

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    09 Dbl Cab TRD Sport
    Mine isn't anywhere near that bad. And yea I figured it was coming from the transmission seeing as that was the post. I was wondering from WHERE in the transmission. BTW, it started again. I've got a case started with corporate so we shall see. It also appears that since no one with a 4x4 has had this issue that I am breaking new ground. Great, I've always wanted to be a pioneer at something.

16. May 6, 2010 at 11:46 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    I'd be back at the fricken dealer saying fix this shit, and give me a NEW truck to drive while your fixing it.

17. May 7, 2010 at 7:24 AM
    toast

toast Well-Known Member

Member:
    Not to hijack:

Dealer is replacing my driveshaft today. I brought in the TSB and asked the tech about it too. He said they (Toyota) monkey-ed around with replacing seals and such and eventually just issued a new TSB stating the driveshaft would be replaced.

I'm not entirely convinced and I'll ask to see the TSB when it gets replaced tomorrow.

18. May 19, 2010 at 4:44 PM
    Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson [OP] Member

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    09 Dbl Cab TRD Sport
    Here's the ending: It turns out the sealant silicone, or as the guy from Toyota called it fippage, was too thin on the bottom of the transfer case that bolts up to the rear of the transmission and THAT seal is directly behind the rear of the transmission pan. So thats why it would appear that the transmission gasket/pan was leaking. They did screw up the gasket again by adding the silicone to each side of it which caused that to seep, but that was remedied.
    Stats:
    trips to dealer to fix issue: 5.
    Times they said it was fixed: 5.
    Times it was: 1.
    Techs that said I was lying: 3.
    Techs fired while dealing with my truck(unrelated issue): 1.
    Times I will give them my business again: 0.
    Don't go to Grossinger City Toyota in Chicago. The best part is that I am a cop and they are located on my beat. So guess who shows up if they have a problem?

19. Oct 17, 2010 at 9:02 AM
    Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson [OP] Member

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    09 Dbl Cab TRD Sport
    Well, the saga continued for a while and the trans continued to leak. I had the truck in a total of 7 times for it. It started again after the neutral safety switch gasket started to leak when I was doing a bit of off-roading in Canyonlands N.P. I got the truck home but definitely noticed power loss. I got the truck back after the safety switch gaskets were replaced and was changing the oil 2hrs after getting it back and saw some red liquid on the floor of the garage. Brought the truck in and told them that if I don't get a new trans that I would like to talk to the sales manager and since they are certifying that there is nothing wrong with the truck, I want top dollar for it. After getting a few more managers involved, the dealership finally determined that the trans case was porous and replaced the whole thing. Its been a long ordeal and could have gone the lemon law route, but thats another pain and I figured I have the truck the way I want it and didn't want to deal with getting a new one set up the way I like it.

To Top