1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trans Sleeve Kit/Clutch R&R

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by KodiakToyTRD, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Jul 16, 2010 at 12:08 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

KodiakToyTRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    So i ordered my Transmission Sleeve Kit today from Sumo Parts in CO. Should be here in the next few days....really hoping it wasn't a waste of cash and that it helps my TOB squeak issues. Since I'm gonna have my trans out and I'll be messin around with it, was thinking of replacing the clutch as well.

Anyone have ideas on where to order a decent replacement clutch from? Not looking for anything extraordinary or over the top, just a clutch. Also anything else I should replace or look at or pay attention to when i have the trans out? I'll be doing this myself since I am quite familiar with vehicles but this will be the first time doing anything major on this one.

During the process I'll keep updates and pics posted of the progress and install.

2. Jul 16, 2010 at 4:26 PM
    SManZ

SManZ Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
  3. Jul 20, 2010 at 9:38 AM
    KodiakToyTRD

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    Bump!

Got the kit today via USPS. Took a few pics. It comes with the bearing, the sleeve, 2 set screws, a hex wrench, 2 packs of grease, detailed installation instructions and a sticker that states the vehicle has been fitted with a retrofit bearing and gives the bearing P/N, manufacturer and contact info for reorder. The sleeve as you can see from the pics is set in place via the 2 set screws. So far I am very impressed with the quality of this product. I decided to not go with a clutch replacement as of now due to funding (I need to save for my vacation in Dec :cool: )

IMG_0836.jpg
    IMG_0835.jpg
    IMG_0834.jpg

4. Jul 21, 2010 at 6:01 AM
    KodiakToyTRD

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    Bump!

I know there are other Tacoma and FJ owners out there with the same 6 speed manual trans chirping sound. Has anyone done this fix? I havent heard from anyone and I looked over an FJ forum and no one really said anything about it...did I waste my money guys? If you've done this fix or know of anyone that has I really wanna hear our comments!

5. Aug 26, 2010 at 8:09 AM
    rooftopfall

rooftopfall Member

Member:
    Manchester, CT
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab SR5 6-Speed
    2" front Skyjacker spacers 2" Toytec rear AALs Rancho RS5000 front shocks Skyjacker Nitro8000 rear shocks Flowmaster American Thunder Dual-Exit Exhaust 265/75R16 BFG A/T KO's K&N Drop-In Filter BHLM GROM iPod interface
    I've been having the same chirping issues with my 06 6-speed. I've got right around 68k on my Taco and want to take care of this before it gets worse...

Have you done the install of the TSK yet? I was thinking about ordering this but don't want to shell out the $200+ without hearing about the ease of install/quality of the product first. I can't seem to find any posts about someone actually installing this and the quality, just posts regarding the issue itself.

If the install went well and took care of your issue I'll order it today, I can't stand that chirping.

6. Aug 26, 2010 at 8:12 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Mine's on its way to me but I won't be installing until this winter.

As far as ease of installation, what are you hoping for? You have to drop your transmission to get this in place.

7. Aug 26, 2010 at 8:21 AM
    rooftopfall

rooftopfall Member

Member:
    Manchester, CT
    Vehicle:
    2" front Skyjacker spacers 2" Toytec rear AALs Rancho RS5000 front shocks Skyjacker Nitro8000 rear shocks Flowmaster American Thunder Dual-Exit Exhaust 265/75R16 BFG A/T KO's K&N Drop-In Filter BHLM GROM iPod interface
    Thanks for the reply.

I have no experience with clutch maintenance, so I figured that if this requires a lot of knowledge to do I'll probably take it to my mechanic for the install. I also only have basic tools...I try to do most things myself and don't normally have an issue with following detailed instructions, but again, I've never gotten my hands on a clutch assembly before.

If I can do it myself I will, but I obviously don't want to do damage to my truck or get myself into a situation where it's sitting in my driveway disassembled for days. So I guess my question would be...is this something I can do with minimal experience? Or, if I take it to my mechanic, how many hours of labor would I be looking at for them to do this?

8. Aug 26, 2010 at 8:53 AM
    mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Do you have a second vehicle to use while your Tacoma is down for repairs? If so, have at it. If not, it's probably worth spending the money to get the job done quick and right the first time.

This will be my first attempt at clutch work. I've accumulated a decent set of tools over the years and have torn into just about everything else on my truck so this shouldn't be too bad. My primary concern is making sure everything is properly supported when I undo that last bolt and the trans is floating free. I'd hate for it to fall off the jack.

Give Gadget at URD a call. He'd be the best resource for information on this install and can give you a ballpark estimate on how long it should take, both for the weekend wrench and a professional mechanic.

I'll post information on my install when I get around to it, but it's still months off.

9. Aug 26, 2010 at 10:26 AM
    rooftopfall

rooftopfall Member

Member:
    Manchester, CT
    Vehicle:
    Since I don't have a 2nd vehicle I'm probably going to have to have my mechanic do this one. I called him today and told him the situation, he estimated it would be roughly 5 hours of labor, maybe less. He also recommended that, since I have almost 70k miles and they have to remove the tranny anyway, I have them replace the clutch as well.

What do you think about this? My clutch feels moderately worn, but I never have any issues I would attribute to anything but the TOB. He estimated it would take the same amount of time. My issue is that a new stage II clutch kit from URD does not include a steel sleeve or new TOB, so I'd have to spend roughly $220 on the TSK and then another $500ish on the clutch...plus 5 hours of labor.

How long would you think the stock clutch would last past 70k miles? I hardly ever tow or go off-road, mostly a road-based truck and I don't hammer on the clutch too roughly, a lot of highway driving.

10. Aug 26, 2010 at 10:32 AM
    mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Depends on how you drive and what you consider to be acceptable in terms of timing.

Let's say you're able to get 100,000 miles out of the clutch. Are you ok with paying the labor to have the whole job redone in 30,000 miles? What if it only has an 80,000 mile lifespan?

Then there's the worst case scenario: Everything is disassembled and the clutch is found to be in need of replacing now. You're now without a vehicle until the parts arrive, unless you pay to have it reassembled so you can use the truck while parts are in transit and then pay to have the whole job done again.

My opinion: do it once, do it right, and you won't have to think about it for years.

11. Aug 26, 2010 at 10:44 AM
    rooftopfall

rooftopfall Member

Member:
    Manchester, CT
    Vehicle:
    True, very good advice. I'll probably get in done in a couple of months when I can spend that kind of money for the fix...I'm estimating roughly $1100-1200 for the whole thing said and done. For now I'll just be gentle with it and listen to see if the chirping gets worse.

Thanks for all the help!

12. Aug 26, 2010 at 10:48 AM
    mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    No problem at all. I've had enough go wrong over the years that I stopped skimping on stuff. It saves a ton of money in the long run. :)

13. Aug 26, 2010 at 1:09 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    I got my 05 with 67k on it, came to me with the squeak. Did some research here on TW and found out why. Ordered the kit and installed it about 2 weeks ago. Did it myself in 7 hours. The kit is very well made, has good instructions and comes with the high temp grease you'll need to coat the sleeve and the inside of the bearing. I didn't do my clutch due to time and cash restraints. I was going to post pics and a detailed post about installation and such but there didn't seem to be that much interest in this product although I know people have chirping issues with their 6 speeds.

2 weeks later, I still have no chirp and the clutch/shifting is very smooth. The only issue I have now is a damn exhaust leak from my driver's side flange due to breaking both those bolts! DT pipe bomb is next along with a cat back exhaust but I'm keeping the stock manifolds. Any more questions about this, feel free to ask or shoot me a PM.

14. Aug 26, 2010 at 1:28 PM
    mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Good to hear! 7 hours for this job isn't bad at all!

Did you have a lift or is this a job that could be done with the truck on the ground?

15. Aug 26, 2010 at 2:13 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    The base that I work on has a place for people to come and do their own car work so it has lifts and tools and shit. But if you have a garage, a floor jack, and some jack stands to get your truck up off the ground a few inches and you don't mind rollin' around on the ground you can definitely do it yourself. There's no disconnecting fluid lines so you don't have to deal with junk on the ground. Just get some PB Blaster and some degreaser and get dirty. Here's a link to the service manual I used to get instruction's on the removal...I have a background workin' on cars so it came pretty easy. I tried to do it without taking the exhaust off but you have to take it off, no way around it.

http://www.customtacos.com/tech/files/05FSM/repair.html

16. Jan 27, 2011 at 3:35 PM
    cudason

cudason Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    TURD
    Eagle Alloy 050 series wheels. TRD fj shift knob Bilstein 5100 set @1.75 TRD CAI TRD seatcovers 2009 Taillights Xenon HID kit
    Just did my URD sleeve today with a stage II clutch. Guess what...the noise is back and its even worse than before. I'm at a loss. Time to bury this truck in a deep grave. :mad::mad:

17. Jan 27, 2011 at 5:51 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    Tightened and greased it up all nice and tight like it says? Other then that I am at a loss too!

18. Jan 27, 2011 at 8:46 PM
    cudason

cudason Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    TURD
    Eagle Alloy 050 series wheels. TRD fj shift knob Bilstein 5100 set @1.75 TRD CAI TRD seatcovers 2009 Taillights Xenon HID kit
    Yup, similar to the noise of a throwout, but not as squeally. It goes away when the clutch is depressed as well. If I pump the clutch a few time sit sometimes dissapears as well. The truck feels a little jerky off the get go in first too. I'm parkin' it till I can get my head around this. Anyone who has any advice....well i'd be obliged and grateful

19. Jan 28, 2011 at 6:40 AM
    mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Did you bleed the hydraulic lines? Sounds like you might have air in the plumbing.

Products Discussed in

To Top